Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 PM

490 posts, read 838,022 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a state job about 2 weeks ago. Prior to the interview, I was unsure about my chances of landing the job because I lacked experience and knowledge about the applications, utilities and hardware systems associated with the position. I didn't want to waste my time. So, when I was called by the liaison to schedule an interview for the following week, I mentioned that I don't have direct experience and was assured that the hiring manager believed that because I have used similar applications, utilities, and systems and because of my background, that I would be a good potential fit for the position. So I accepted the interview opportunity.

On the day of the interview, there were 3 panel members. They asked about 10 questions regarding my experience applicable to the roles and responsibilities of the position, as well as more specific questions about which, if any, of the applications, utilities and systems that they use that I may have experience with. When it came to questions about applicable experience, I felt I did alright. The panel seemed engaged and at points I felt I connected with some of them, at least to some degree. They were busy writing notes when I said something of interest to them (maybe I hit a keyword they were looking for). When it came to experience with their specific tools of their trade, I had to answer pretty much no, down the entire list that they read out. They seemed to be understanding of that.

At the end of the interview, the hiring manager informed me that they would have a decision within 2 weeks, and the next week there would be a second interview with the team, where they could ask me questions and I could ask them questions. It sounded like it could be an informal interview and more of a formality for the chosen candidate to go through. So the process would take a total of 3 weeks.

I was also informed that there are 2 open positions they were interviewing for - same classification and everything. So I felt like that doubled my chances but still put my chances at an not too assuring 20%, I would estimate, assuming they had an interview pool of 10. But at least the knowledge of a 2nd open position improved my chances somewhat.

Anyway, today, approximately 2 weeks after the interview, the hiring manager emailed me to inform me that: "I wanted to let you know that we have finished the first round of interviews and are still in the selection process. I will know more in 2 more weeks or sooner." So, for some reason, the process has been delayed by
2 more weeks. That second sentence in the quote seems to indicate whatever else they need may be passively expected to be received, rather than coming from an active deliberation in order to reach a decision?

It would seem to me that if they were keen on my candidacy, I would have been extended an offer by now.
Because that did not happen, it seems reasonable to assume that I am not one of the two final candidates to fill the two openings, and that I am either a backup or one of the rejected candidates that they cannot update until the entire process is completed.

It seems to me that they may have extended offers to their two top candidates to fill the two open positions, and they need to under go background checks and whatnot. In the meantime, the backups and the rejected folks have to wait another two weeks to hear back from the hiring manager. Should their top 2 picks to fill the 2 positions fail the background checks or for some other reason fall out of contention, they would contact the backups. Once the positions are filled by official acceptances of offers, they would notify the rest of the pool.

My references (former managers) did not notify me that they were contacted. I don't expect them to but thought that it could be possible for at least one of them to had they been contacted. I have not asked them either. I used the same references the last time I landed a job and at that time they also didn't inform me they got a reference check phone call, so maybe I shouldn't make much out of this.

The hiring manager also indicated in the email that if I had any further questions to contact her directly. So I informed her that one of my references who was on vacation may be back and reachable in the event I make it to the reference check stage. After the interview, I had informed them that I learned one of my 3 references was apparently on vacation (found out by an email auto-response), so I provided them with an alternate. So I just informed her that she could try to contact the original reference instead if she wants.

I also asked her if she would be able to disclose how many interviewed candidates remain in the pool for consideration, and she told me that until the positions are filled, she cannot provide any concrete information. So this seems to support my suspicion that she's waiting on the 2 positions to be officially reserved by her top 2 picks. Otherwise, wouldn't she have given me some idea of where I stood?

Do you guys think I should still be hopeful about landing one of those two positions, or do you think my suspicions are correct and I shouldn't hold my breath?

Last edited by ecsdude; 08-17-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:21 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Move on.

Trust your gut instincts, it says here they are just trying to give you the run around and soften the blow, hoping you get discouraged and give up.

You yourself mention that if they were truly keen on hiring you they would have done so, yet at the two week deadline they extend it indefinitely.

Whenever I got a job offer after interview, it took less than 2 weeks, usually a week to a little over a week.

Why knows, maybe they may go with you, but why beat yourself up when you could be investing that energy into other job applications.

You are not the first person to express such concerns in this forum, but the pattern is the same.

I myself have always written off a job if I didn't hear back after an interview for a week max. I then moved on mentally. Save your self respect and do not contact them any further.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Move on.

Trust your gut instincts, it says here they are just trying to give you the run around and soften the blow, hoping you get discouraged and give up.

You yourself mention that if they were truly keen on hiring you they would have done so, yet at the two week deadline they extend it indefinitely.

Whenever I got a job offer after interview, it took less than 2 weeks, usually a week to a little over a week.

Why knows, maybe they may go with you, but why beat yourself up when you could be investing that energy into other job applications.

You are not the first person to express such concerns in this forum, but the pattern is the same.

I myself have always written off a job if I didn't hear back after an interview for a week max. I then moved on mentally. Save your self respect and do not contact them any further.
Yeah, they said within 2 weeks they'd let me know and then there would be a 2nd interview with the team for those who make it past round 1. Then today, I was told 2 more weeks or sooner they'll have an answer. So it's not indefinite, but it's doubled in time estimate. The only thing that makes the most sense is that they're waiting for background checks on their first choices for the two positions and want to keep backups in case something goes awry with those. But you'd think they would let those who didn't even make backup know ASAP if they know for sure they aren't a fit.

I don't get the feeling they're trying to give me the run-around or soften the blow. I think they are trying to delay telling me they've settled on their top pics already, for whatever reason that is to their benefit.

I'm definitely not waiting for them and twiddling my thumbs in hope. I will continue applying for other positions.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Hiring schedules slide all the time, and the HM reaching out to you indicates that you are still in contention to some degree.

Don't count on the job, but don't count it out either. Keep interviewing at other places, and if you get an offer you like, take it. If you don't land anything and these people want to schedule a second interview, take it.

I know that you would prefer a definite answer, but you aren't going to get one from this board, as we aren't the people you interviewed with. But it costs you nothing to answer the phone if they call, so you should do that.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Hiring schedules slide all the time, and the HM reaching out to you indicates that you are still in contention to some degree.

Don't count on the job, but don't count it out either. Keep interviewing at other places, and if you get an offer you like, take it. If you don't land anything and these people want to schedule a second interview, take it.

I know that you would prefer a definite answer, but you aren't going to get one from this board, as we aren't the people you interviewed with. But it costs you nothing to answer the phone if they call, so you should do that.
Thanks. No, I know it's not possible to get a definite answer. Just wondering if my gut feeling and what I suspect to likely be the case is on the mark or if I don't have enough real info to really reach the conclusion that I'm likely not the top choice. At best, maybe a backup.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 PM

227 posts, read 258,123 times
It's a state job, this is literally the process. I think you are reading way too much into wording. If you weren't still in consideration they would have notified you of that result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment