Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:15 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think he has the type of job where if he takes off the work is just doubled when he returns. That's why I accumulated so much sick leave (we also got 4 personal days).
There are a lot of these type jobs. If I take time off, then I'm working overtime for two to three weeks to recover when I get back. And yep, that overtime equals additional hours that I have to take later. Vicious circle. Most folks I work with typically have a couple of weeks of comp hours to burn and can't burn them off fast enough. These situations come from being chronically understaffed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There are a lot of these type jobs. If I take time off, then I'm working overtime for two to three weeks to recover when I get back. And yep, that overtime equals additional hours that I have to take later. Vicious circle. Most folks I work with typically have a couple of weeks of comp hours to burn and can't burn them off fast enough. These situations come from being chronically understaffed.
Isn't understaffing now called "right-sizing"? You gotta get the lingo right.

In my case it wasn't understaffing, just the nature of education and teaching.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:

Haha, talking about understaffing. On a hundred million dollar bridge project, they can only give me 7 engineers for all things structural. Every time someone has to take time off, it's a struggle to fill in the blank. Them they ask me why I don't take time off.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Just got an email from HR. Apparently, I have too much PTO's saved up. It reminds me of this forum. Why? A lot of people here day in and day out complain that they don't get enough PTO's. Apparently, I have the opposite problem.

My spouse is in school. I'm in a state that doesn't have much to do. And I don't want to go on vacation alone. What the hell am I suppose to do? It was never my intention to hog PTO's. It just happened.

I rarely take a day off, so I too accumulate a lot of PTO and Holiday hours. I sell it back to the company every Spring and reduce the hours to a reasonable number. See if your company will do that.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Can you "donate" it to a fellow employee who needs it (used up all their sick/vacation days for illness or illness/death in the family)? At one job I had, we were allowed to "donate" specifically to a person or put it in a "pool" for others to use. We also could "cash in" one week of vacation time each year, as long as you also used one week.

When my husband died, he had stockpiled a decent amount of vacation and sick days. I received a check for over $26,000 for that time. I was able to finish paying off the mortgage with it.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Yep... been there and my company does not allow you to sell back PTO

My problem is every time I put in to use it my request was denied... always some project in the works or too many other managers taking time off and once it was simply I had put in a year in advance.

Anyway... I had over 400 hours when they put in a new policy the PTO would max at 200 and no accrual once 200 was reached...

It did leave me in a bind but I forced the issue... got a lot of things done around the properties that year...

At one time, taking time off got to be so back I finally came up with a solution... I was going to Europe for 3 weeks... air, car, hotels booked/paid... my boss calls me in and says they would like to move the construction up a month and asks me not to go... I told her I would get back to her that day... I totaled up what I would be out not going and said I would stay as long as I was made whole... she told me to go...

Turns out the schedule could not be moved up and in fact was pushed back due to permit issues...

With the change in management I did lose 480 hours of sick leave... still bugs me... so many were taking sick leave or medical to use all of it before the change... I was too busy to do that...

Two top managers took every day of vacation and every day of sick and on the day they were to come back called in saying they had retired... neither have set foot here since... each 20+ years on the job...

Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Most companies I know either have a use it or lose it policy, where PTO days expire at the end of the year, or they put a cap on accruals and you stop accruing when you reach that limit.

Personally, I take enough random days here and there that I haven't had any issues. But I might have to make a bit more of a conscious effort when I get to the next accrual level, most of my co-workers at that level seem to end up having excess days, even when they take a normal amount of time off.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
The jobs I've had won't let you carry over unused PTO into the next calendar year. My current job lets you carry over one week but you have to use it by March, or else you'll lose it.
I've scheduled my PTO to the end of the year and I still have 4 days left.
My dad retired from a public school system. He had so much sick time accrued that he used his leave to take a whole school year off before he retired.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:47 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:

Tell you the truth, I don't know what they call it now. We've been restructured, reorganized (3-4 times), in-sourced, outsourced, in-sourced again, downsized, rightsized, and done more with less Faster-Better-Cheaper. It all adds up to the same "too much work, not enough people to get it done."

Old 08-19-2017, 12:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Tell you the truth, I don't know what they call it now. We've been restructured, reorganized (3-4 times), in-sourced, outsourced, in-sourced again, downsized, rightsized, and done more with less Faster-Better-Cheaper. It all adds up to the same "too much work, not enough people to get it done."
Same here... each time we give up something too...

Not aware anyone can lose PTO in my State... but capping accrual is OK...

The easy answer is a pay out... this way unfunded liabilities forward are minimized.

To protect myself I asked in writing when during the year can I take time off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment