Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 03:15 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times

Advertisements

Yes, a couple of politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 03:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
My Dad was quite famous back in the day before I was born... as a child no matter where we went people would come up to him... here in town of course but also traveling... I did work for him years ago

For me I guess the most famous person would be Tom Hanks... local and went to school together... but that was a hundred years ago.

Mostly just work for regular people... some quite wealthy but none really famous...

Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Yes. I used to work in the entertainment industry and met many from TV, theater, sports, movies, music, as well as their families. I knew some local politicians and one famous journalist/writer from my parents when I was a young kid. I also went to school with some people who garnered celebrity status. Some of my college teachers were/are famous. I, however, remained a nobody.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:20 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
At one time, I had a manager, Gerald Okamura, who played a bad guy in many martial arts movies.
He worked 2nd shift so he could use the day shift to be available to shoot movies.

http://www.geraldokamura.com/

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...h=521&dpr=1.15

Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Back in 1999, I was living in Harrisburg, PA and got to be an extra for a day (got paid) on the movie Lucky Numbers, it was a bomb, but my scene did make it into the movie, but you can only see my back as I cross a road at the downtown Harrisburg bus station. The scene involved Lisa Kudrow and Micheal Moore, and was directed by the late Nora Ephron. I got to talk to them in between takes, if you have ever been on movie sets, it's the typical hurry up and wait, lots of waiting as they "build the scene".

One of my cousins is in reality TV since 2000(?), started out as a PA, and eventually worked his way up to director and field producer/supervising producer/co-executive producer. He's freelance so he might do a season here and there or a few episodes of a season depending on the show. He has worked on shows like Leah Remini: It's All Relative, Project Runway, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, The Simple Life, Project Greenlight (the first 2 seasons) and Dr. 90210.

He had Matt Damon come over to his house once or twice when he was working on Project Greenlight.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I once worked on Michael DeBakey's research staff at Baylor. I taught one of Denton Cooley's daughters. WAAAY back in the long ago. I have met a few famous people but those are the ones I directly worked with.
Ah, I met him when he visited Raleigh, NC in the 70's. I was a lowly waitress, and waited on him and I think his wife? He was very kind to me. We talked about me having just moved from the UK by myself. He was a gentleman and encouraging.

I also waited on Jeffrey McDonald as he was preparing for his trial.

I also waited on Nicky Cruz, "The Cross and the Switchblade". And, met Tommy Lee Jones, Shirley Jones, Debbie Boone, President Carter, All the famous wrestlers (Andre the Giant, Ric Flair..) , Harry Chapin, Vincent Price, Andy Griffith, The Great One - Muhammad Ali, numerous musicians and bands, and more actors and politicians.

PS - in keeping with the thread, this was all thru my work in the hotel biz years ago

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-19-2017 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 08-19-2017, 07:20 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Sonny Bono made me a sandwich when I dropped off an envelope!!! He was definitely a people person. By the time I met Lorne Green his Shepherd from those dog food commercials had lost most of his teeth! You had to go up a one way road around the mountain he owned in Santa Monica, and his house actually looked a lot like the Ponderosa, except for the 50's Mercedes parked in the wood garage and the house being a lot bigger.

Told Carol Burnett that if I knew I was going to meet her that day, I would have SHAVED. damn.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Not exactly...
I was a receptionist at a car dealership. In exchange for radio spots and commercials, the owner would let some of the local NFL and NBA stars drive whatever they wanted. They were always in the building trading out cars. As a baseball fan, I knew none of them. The only reason I would know they were in the building is based on who came out of hiding to try and chat with them.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 PM

85 posts, read 75,805 times
Many as clients mostly women. I have some male celebrity wives as clients, usually get to meet them since I tend to see my celeb clients at their home or hotel vs my biz location. Pretty fascinating people and from a long roster I've only had one that I couldn't stand and fired her as a client and she was like a c lister. The biggest names in my experience are/have been the most pleasant to work with, the ones down a few notches are the ones who can be bland/rude/obnoxious/entitled.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I worked as a private nurse for a well-known Texas oil family that spends every summer in my area.

I met them when they hired me through an agency for one of their college-aged twins' tonsillectomy. Two weeks later they requested me personally for the other twins' tonsillectomy & after that I was asked to work with the "team" that provided 24/7 care for the family matriarch; who has a stretch of highway & a bridge named after her in Texas.

I enjoyed looking at her old photos of her in younger years; some taken in the White House during both the Reagan & Bush administrations & she had been good friends with both Nancy & Barbara & many photos of NFL stars as her brother owned an NFL team.

They asked if I would consider accompanying the family back to Dallas after the summer with all expenses paid including private housing & travel plus wages well above what I would be paid in the hospitals but I had all my kids getting ready to go back to school & I had to decline.

Worked with one of the two inventors of the "cure" for the computer virus (but not as a nurse); I believe he ran for President last November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment