Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My husband has worked where he's at for 17 years and in that time the company has been sold 3 times, so averaging every 5 years or so. In the last buyout the new company that came in fired 40% of the workforce. Replacing all the top management as well including the CEO. We can see the sign when it's getting ready to happen and it's getting close again now. Most of the companies that purchase them are financial and literally have no idea what the company is all about. Well I'm sure they do their homework, but these companies only care about the bottom line. They purchase, gut, reorganize and sell again.
When I worked in the IT/telecom industry, that's exactly how I'd describe it. Every couple of years, one company would buy another just to gut it and bring in whatever revenue streams they had, or better systems and processes. Then in a few years, they might sell it off, or acquire another company and do the same thing. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's as if the breaking up of the Bell companies was completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Only way to really know you're safe is to branch out on your own and work for yourself, but that's also not for everyone and not for every field
People portray self-employment as if it's a safe bet. But even then you're reporting to your clients and revenue is completely dependent on whether they need your services, at the price you charge, or not. It's still relatively high risk compared to being employed by someone else. But as they say, with high risk, there is generally high reward. Which is why people pursue self-employment in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
As I already stated to tolovefromANFIELD, these are things I already do. This is not ground breaking information. I am highly motivated and I spend countless hours trying to learn new skills. SQL? Got it. Python? Yeah. R? Hadoop? BusinessObjects? PowerQuery? Tableau? Check, check, check, check, and check. While some folks are having leisure time tonight after work, I have several browser tabs open job hunting, and trying to learn new skills. I spend far more time being concerned over my career and working towards improving it than the average person. I'm certain of it.

But this is all besides the point.

Great contributors are let go all the time, and for no other reason than they are no longer needed or affordable. Mergers, acquisitions, mass layoffs, etc. know no bounds. Anyone who has been through them know how susceptible they are. People who think otherwise are only kidding themselves and trying to avoid the reality of it. Stability is non-existent, and much of the time, it hardly matters what you've done.
not my field so correct me if I'm totally wrong, but from my view point, SQL, Python, R, Hadoop, the rest of them, are all the "same" to me, in that they are just a "newer" method of the previous but essentially they do the same things (data management)

that was not what I meant by gaining new skills, that is "keeping skills current"

when I said to gain skills, I mean skills that move you up, does knowing SQL promote you to a higher tier position? does knowing Tableau? what does learning all these "extra" things accomplish in moving your career ahead?

What's the difference between a cashier, fry maker, burger flipper? all the same position but doing different things

Why not gain some marketing skills? business sales or whatever you need in the industry? Learn to be a project manager or other management/leadership skills.

from your other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
job hopping =/= changing jobs for career

no one has problems switching jobs if it builds up, but people on here job hop to the same exact job at a different company, they never build skills because they do horizontal moves trying to escape a "bad" boss, then when they don't like new boss, they run away again
I agree with your assessment, however, I do still think that there are people who think that even changing a job for something better has some sort of negative connotation associated with it. It seems some people take pride in their longevity at the same company, in the same role, and look down their noses at people who continuously try to advance in their career.
so, when you said you have been gaining skills in all those things you listed, have you been getting them to build career or to keep in the same position at a different company? If you build skills up, you'll have a stable career since they won't want to lose you, even if you switch, you'll have a stable career since it won't take long to get hired

Old 08-23-2017, 01:53 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
There's been no stability for many years now (since late '90's). It's life in "corporate America" these days. Each man/woman for themselves, to get a bigger slice of the pie. Takeovers, buyouts, mergers/acquisitions, are all part of the game.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:32 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not my field so correct me if I'm totally wrong, but from my view point, SQL, Python, R, Hadoop, the rest of them, are all the "same" to me, in that they are just a "newer" method of the previous but essentially they do the same things (data management)

that was not what I meant by gaining new skills, that is "keeping skills current"

when I said to gain skills, I mean skills that move you up, does knowing SQL promote you to a higher tier position? does knowing Tableau? what does learning all these "extra" things accomplish in moving your career ahead?

What's the difference between a cashier, fry maker, burger flipper? all the same position but doing different things

Why not gain some marketing skills? business sales or whatever you need in the industry? Learn to be a project manager or other management/leadership skills.

from your other thread

so, when you said you have been gaining skills in all those things you listed, have you been getting them to build career or to keep in the same position at a different company? If you build skills up, you'll have a stable career since they won't want to lose you, even if you switch, you'll have a stable career since it won't take long to get hired
You are completely off base. Learning those skills have taken time and they are completely evolving as you use them in various ways. To your burger analogy, there isn't only one way to build a burger.

You're assuming that my skills are limited because I didn't list my entire portfolio of skills and experience. And you're assuming that I'm not continually working on gaining new skills and experience. I've worked within all sorts of career areas. Compliance, marketing, business analytics, project management, information systems, sales, logistics, procurement, finance, supply chain management, contracts, insurance, etc. And I'll just put this out there for your sake; the list is not just limited to this.

My salary has increased 130% over ten years. You tell me if these skills have helped me move up to a higher position.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Unfortunately, this stability is reality. With the corporate tax structure and regulations in place today, businesses just don't have the freedom to operate in the way they had a generation ago. That's why we no longer have stability, retirement benefits, etc. that we used to see. It's a shame, but reality.

Fortunately, if you're competent enough to keep yourself relevant, you'll be just fine.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Its because psychopaths/sociopaths were allowed to take over businesses and were given free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. Why would you give a sociopath/psychopath free reign to do whatever they want with no accountability?? . . They will steal a coin off a dead man's eyes. . You used to have people with some sense of morality/ethics who worked their way from the ground up into those roles. Not anymore. You have goofs who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth who never had to do an honest day's work running things now.

Most businesses haven't really changed. . Things could easily still be stable in the corporate world today and you could enjoy a nice retirement/pension IF we still had people with scruples running things.

Giving a nut free reign in business is like giving a kid matches

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-23-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its because psychopaths/sociopaths were allowed to take over businesses and were given free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. Why would you give a sociopath/psychopath free reign to do whatever they want with no accountability?? . . They will steal a coin off a dead man's eyes. . You used to have people with some sense of morality/ethics who worked their way from the ground up into those roles. Not anymore. You have goofs who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth who never had to do an honest day's work running things now.

Most businesses haven't really changed. . Things could easily still be stable in the corporate world today and you could enjoy a nice retirement/pension IF we still had people with scruples running things.
This is completely true in perhaps less than one percent of businesses. Let's not use the worst as a generalization for the whole, when the worst is statistically insignificant.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Default Definitely See A Lack of Job Stability

I have been in the workforce since 1980 and I have definitely seen a degradation of job stability and more. I have seen an increasing anger and contempt from management toward its workers. There are attempts to replace experienced and competent employees with young, inexperienced and cheaper ones. Competence, accomplishment, and excellence are out. Youth and cheap wages are in. Good luck finding a job if you are over 40, and in many cases even younger than that. I have also seen the removal of entitlements from compensation packages such as paid health benefits, vacations, sick time, PTO, and other perks. It seems to be a race to the bottom to see who can pay the least.

I see it getting worse as the gig economy takes off where employees are temps working under renewable contracts and only being paid wages and no entitlements.

And please don't jump all over me for saying this as you did with the OP. This is just an observation that I have seen, based on experience and what my friends, colleagues, and research have shown me. I know that we are all responsible for our own careers, must stand on our own two feet, etc. But the workplace is degrading so rapidly that it feels like playing against a stacked deck.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 PM

341 posts, read 293,139 times
Corporations have a fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value by growing revenues and reducing expenses. Employees are an expense and a liability. Therefore, they need to be eliminated.

Employees who are scared and worried about losing their jobs are unproductive and a drag on corporate profits, hence they should be disposed of and replaced by automation, AI and algorithms as soon as possible.

Saith I, CEO.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:27 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Corporations have a fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value by growing revenues and reducing expenses. Employees are an expense and a liability. Therefore, they need to be eliminated.

Employees who are scared and worried about losing their jobs are unproductive and a drag on corporate profits, hence they should be disposed of and replaced by automation, AI and algorithms as soon as possible.

Saith I, CEO.
Corporations that are in the US but hire everyone but from there and do all they can to pinch a penny and use the government and taxpayers to get out of the hole they made for themselves and that have insatiable greed are parasites ruining this country and need to be stamped out by a boycott.

Saith I, Consumer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment