Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,061 times

Advertisements

The way I see it, they don't give you notice when you get fired, so why should you give them notice if you're going to quit? Sure, if they were a good company to work for, give them notice and time to replace you, as it will likely benefit you in the long run. But if it was a POS company you worked for, don't be scared to walk out the door and leave them high and dry. IMO if they were that bad then they brought it on themselves and don't deserve advanced notice.

Just my two cents, what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times
The biggest risk is a negative reference which can be an obstacle to future employment.

Otherwise if it is a bad place to work or they pull something on you, I see no moral obligation to offer notice. It is also becoming more and more prevalent for companies to toss you out the minute you give notice so if you think that is a risk then I also would not give notice.

Finally, I don't think you owe any reference for a temp/contract job. If a company isn't committed enough to even hire you directly and offer benefits you have no commitment to them either. Too many companies are confusing the role of temp and permanent employees. If the departure causes a disruption it was improper to have a temp employee in that position.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,590,023 times
I've always been of the belief you give the same amount of notice to a company that they would give you, as long as it doesn't adversely impact you. If the company does a round of layoffs and gives people advance notice that their job is being eliminated so that they can start the search for new work before they lose their current job, giving the 2 weeks is the respectful thing to do. If the company does layoffs and gives people basically just enough notice to fill out the documents, then walks them to the exits, then turnabout is fair play and you should just move all the stuff from your office to your car on the sneak, drop off a letter of resignation on your boss's desk, and take a walk.

Also, if you've seen people give notice and then be terminated immediately rather than let them stay their 2 weeks, give no notice (unless you know for a fact they'll pay you that 2 weeks).

This concept of negative references is so outmoded/outdated as to be basically a non-consideration. With the way litigation is these days, 95% of all companies out there will only give title, dates of employ, and MAYBE salary. No company is going to open itself up to liability by trying to submarine a job offer you've got.

As above, it also makes no sense to give notice if you're a contractor in one of those silly "contract to hire" schemes. They weren't willing to invest in you, why would you feel a need to aid them?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

211 posts, read 266,920 times
Couldn't agree more. It's a 2 way street.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 AM

901 posts, read 748,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I've always been of the belief you give the same amount of notice to a company that they would give you, as long as it doesn't adversely impact you. If the company does a round of layoffs and gives people advance notice that their job is being eliminated so that they can start the search for new work before they lose their current job, giving the 2 weeks is the respectful thing to do. If the company does layoffs and gives people basically just enough notice to fill out the documents, then walks them to the exits, then turnabout is fair play and you should just move all the stuff from your office to your car on the sneak, drop off a letter of resignation on your boss's desk, and take a walk.

Also, if you've seen people give notice and then be terminated immediately rather than let them stay their 2 weeks, give no notice (unless you know for a fact they'll pay you that 2 weeks).

This concept of negative references is so outmoded/outdated as to be basically a non-consideration. With the way litigation is these days, 95% of all companies out there will only give title, dates of employ, and MAYBE salary. No company is going to open itself up to liability by trying to submarine a job offer you've got.

As above, it also makes no sense to give notice if you're a contractor in one of those silly "contract to hire" schemes. They weren't willing to invest in you, why would you feel a need to aid them?
"Would you re-hire this person?" Is also a very common question to ask.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:23 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,488 times
If you need the professional reference, the rule of thumb is to give them two weeks notice. It's often a company's policy to mark a former employee as re-hire eligible if you simply give them two weeks notice. If it's a very short term gig that you plan on leaving off your resume and not using as a reference, then there is no real obligation on your part other than to give them the courtesy.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:29 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,695,472 times
Sure you can walk out anytime without notice, but the only negative will be loosing them as a reference or if your new employer wants to call your past employers. Hearing your quit without notice just looks bad to new company's. If that isn't a concern, then not a problem. I have quit on the spot only once, was willing to take the fact that I won't be using them on my resume but it was unbearable and miserable. All other jobs I always gave notice and left on good terms, able to use as reference.

I don't think it's right that it has become mandatory for you to give notice - sure it's a curtesy but shouldn't be a must. The reason is because it has backfired on myself and my husband once. I gave notice as I'm supposed to do, expecting to work 2 more weeks and counting on that income when my boss then tells me I'm only working 3 more days, they'll have someone to replace me after that and I'm out of 2 weeks of pay. Was very upset, never had any issues with them and was leaving on good terms. My husband had a similar experience in the past to. That has put me off of wanting to give notice anymore.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Just my two cents, what do you guys think?
I think you've asked the same basic question a few times before.

Do what you want to... let us know how it works out for you.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,590,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
"Would you re-hire this person?" Is also a very common question to ask.
And most companies today have policies that say you can't answer that. Just like being captured - name, rank, serial number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM

1,166 posts, read 878,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think you've asked the same basic question a few times before.

Do what you want to... let us know how it works out for you.

I don't recall posting a previous thread about whether or not giving notice before leaving a job is worth it or not? Sure, I have posted lots of threads about the workplace, but it's always about a different facet, not the same topic over and over again.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment