Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times

Advertisements

My employer is giving me the option to work one or the other. I am naturally more of a night owl so the 2pm shift seems like a no brainer, however I can see the advantage of the 6am shift - getting work out of the way during the early part of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I'd vastly prefer the 6-230 shift and it's what I work now. But if you are a night owl then the other is a no brainer. Do you really think you can put yourself to bed by 9 or 10 pm every night if you work 6-230?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:21 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times
If you take the early watch and "get the work out of the way", the boss will just find something more (and probably more menial) to take up the time saved -- without a raise in pay.

I'm certainly not opposed to increased productivity, but better to come outside the peak hours, when the entire staff isn't squabbling over access to the tools needed to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'd work 2-10:30. I work 4-midnight, and get a lot of things done during the day before I get to work. If I work during the day, I get nothing done.
Exactly!

And when the micromanagement isn't so strict; then find some way of "going the extra mile" you can address under conditions more in line with your own style of working and living.

If the boss doesn't notice, it's time to look for another opportunity.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-28-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
6-230 but I have a small child. I work that now (well more like 6-330) so I can be home when he gets off school. It's not bad once you adjust.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I'd work 2-10:30. I work 4-midnight, and get a lot of things done during the day before I get to work. If I work during the day, I get nothing done.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I would prefer the 2 PM start.

I am not a morning person. I go in at 8 and get up by 7:15...if I'm lucky. I'll often wake up earlier - I usually wake up between 5:00-6:00 AM to go to the restroom, and generally just flip-flop for another hour.

The 2:00 PM start would provide you with more time during the business day to do any errands you may need to do.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
-- depends on the job, and the busy time....
-- depends on what kind of life I have AWAY from work
-- depends on how hard it is to get time off otherwise

-- I might pick the shift with the most down time
I like getting paid to do less. I've had a job where one shift busted their arses, one shift worked less, and the remaining shift just baby sat. Got paid the same money to do a whole lot less work.

-- I might pick the shift that works best with my life AWAY from work.
I worked 4-midnight, AND weekends for 21 years. I finally got sick of not having a personal life. Once a year you'd ask for a different day off and they made you feel guilty for that. 4-midnight, Friday-Wed means NO concerts, NO dinner with friends who work M-F (unless they want to go out to dinner on a Tuesday night to accommodate you, and most people don't want to go out for a pleasant dinner with friends after a work day). NO weekends off. It means leaving lunch dates early. It means leaving baby showers and birthday parties early. It makes you "feel" like you never get to spend a leisurely convenient time with friends) Now if you're 4-midnight Mon-Fri. It's no where near as bad.

Having worked 4-midnight for so many years, I'd hesitate to do 2-10:30p. BUT I have to admit I think that's the best shift for making appointments...I used to always make Dr. and car repair appointments for 10 or 11 a. it was great. BUT, I made those appointments on my WEEKDAYS OFF....like Thurs morning at 8, or Tuesday morning at 7a. I never worked 4-midnight M-F so I don't know what it would be like. I DO KNOW, I HATE doing errands on days that I work. I do ONE thing a day -- work OR errands, not both.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd vastly prefer the 6-230 shift and it's what I work now. But if you are a night owl then the other is a no brainer. Do you really think you can put yourself to bed by 9 or 10 pm every night if you work 6-230?
Honestly? Probably not. I don't get a full 8 hours of sleep anyway (even on weekends) tho

Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If you take the early watch and "get the work out of the way", the boss will just find something more (and probably more menial) to take up the time saved -- without a raise in pay.

I'm certainly not opposed to increased productivity, but better to come outside the peak hours, when the entire staff isn't squabbling over access to the tools needed to get the job done.
That's what I'm afraid of. Things will happen and I'll be stuck there until 3, 4, 5, etc

Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
That is definitely a case for working that shift. There usually isn't much left in the tank once I get off of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment