Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here's the only important question: Does she serve well and keep my tea glass full? If so, she gets a good tip. If not, she doesn't. Other than that, I don't care about her piercings, or bra, or nipples. The best waitresses who will get the best tips are invisible.
Actually, now that you've mentioned it, my guess is, she's going braless to maximize her tips.
Yes, better tips should be based on better service, but there will be folks who tip more solely based on better looking servers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,754,178 times
The employer can set whatever rules he/she wants to in terms of dress code.

The waitress can wear whatever she wants.

Those two truths mean that either the waitress finds somewhere else to work or she wears what the employer wants. That's it. There's no right or wrong, just two people who have different priorities. If the job means more, she'll wear a bra. If the lack of a bra means more, she'll quit her job. She's not wrong for wanting to have a piercing or not wanting to wear a bra, and the employer is not wrong for wanting the waitstaff to adhere to a certain standard of dress. The two specifics just aren't compatible and there's not really a compromise, I don't think. So the ball is in the waitress's court in terms of what she wants to do.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:22 AM

7,013 posts, read 4,950,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post

That's true, but it's amazing how many women take full advantage of the sexuality of their breasts.
True, but whose fault is that? The simple solution to this is if men quit getting all wound up over a woman's breasts, because then there wouldn't be anything the women could do to take advantage of the sexuality of their breasts. Women do it because men enable it. Or I suppose you could say that men enable it because women do it.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 813,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
And there is a law that your employer has the right to fire you for no reason at all. And then you sit there with no bra on and wonder how you pay your bills. But hey, I am all for it, do what you think you are entitled to but don't wonder if it backfires one day. Jobs are overrated, right?
Yes of course there's at will employment.

I had a stellar career with all the advancement I had expected & then some. I retired in my 40's. So, paying my bills was never a concern, quite the opposite LOL. My personal undergarment choices were never an issue. As I said, as a hiring manager for a F100 company, I never in a million years would have been allowed to tell 1 employee what undergarments to wear, without benefit of a policy, that affected all employees. Even then, I'm not sure I would have been allowed to discuss undergarments period, as it's treading murky waters. I'm the one who likely would have gotten fired for that & not b/c I wasn't wearing a bra, but b/c I was exposing the company to a lawsuit by treating 1 employee differently from others.

Obviously if it had ever come up, then I'd have had some research to do, but it never did in 30 some years. I doubt anyone even noticed, since I wore suits for much of that time. Of course working for F100 co's, any employee who was in danger of being fired for something like this, would have had plenty of advance warning, numerous chances to change their behaviour, various counseling sessions & PIP's, etc.

That doesn't mean my experience is everybody's experience. Not being a Canadian attorney, which I suspect very few on this thread are, I shared my personal experience. YMMV. I fully support (no pun intended) this young woman. Sexualizing women's breasts & not men's is a form of inequality & a double standard IMO. I'm kinda surprised this happening in Canada though, as Canada tends to be more advanced in things like Top Free Rights. IDK if Canada has a version of the ACLU, but if they do, I hope she contacts them. Depending on the law in CAN, maybe an employer does have a right to tell her what undergarments to wear or maybe not. I don't know. It would be interesting if someone here were a CAN attorney, to know what the law says there. As I was just reading in another thread here "women have breasts, get over it". I don't get why her breasts have anything to do with her waitressing skill set.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,299,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
. I don't get why her breasts have anything to do with her waitressing skill set.
In a perfect world sure, but Hooters is as sucessful as they are for a reason, and I'm fairly certain it's not because the staff have phenomenal waitressing skills.
Many, maybe even most, businesses rely on how people perceive them, the way they present themselves and their employees. Do you feel you would have been as accepted and as successful in your company if you were not professional in your appearance?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 AM

20,780 posts, read 20,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Actually, now that you've mentioned it, my guess is, she's going braless to maximize her tips.
or maybe her nipples got infected from the piercing and it hurts the crusty, infected area to wear a bra. Just sayin

Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,626,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
or maybe her nipples got infected from the piercing and it hurts the crusty, infected area to wear a bra. Just sayin
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm done with this thread lol

Old 09-15-2017, 11:05 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,950,741 times
That's two of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment