Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times

Advertisements

As a former systems project manager I can tell you that most people are resistant to change. Prior to a project beginning I would interview the end users and ask them what was wrong with the current system. Some people did just want to complain, but there were quite a few that would help me identify the pain points in the current system and offer suggestions on how to change them. Using this information we would specifically design systems that eliminated these issues. It was a win-win situation, I got a reputation as someone who could get the job done and won respect from the field and the people who made the suggestions often got promotions, bonuses or additional company perks. One field technician who worked with me to solve an issue is now an operations director for the company. He said that working on the project with me made him feel that the company appreciated his work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Why on earth would anyone want this?
Exactly what does this accomplish?
Why would anyone want a confrontational workplace, even when it might cost them salary and benefits? I think it is a combination of an anti-authority attitude and the sort of personality traits described in an abnormal psychology textbook.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Why on earth would anyone want this?
Exactly what does this accomplish?
If management raises are linked to union raises, where both groups get the same percentage increase, managers get more in terms of absolute dollars. Some people think that if they give up a 6% raise that results in $2000 raise, it will hurt a manager more because they are giving up a $4000 raise.

Also, strife and conflict inevitably benefits one group more than others. Both groups may be hurt overall, but a perceived disparity may be corrected.

It's crazy thinking, but I have heard people support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment