Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM

356 posts, read 319,649 times

Advertisements

My first job working hours I start at 7:00am and I finish at 3:30pm. That's 8 hours. Is getting a second part-time job doable if it is an extra 1 or 2 hours working from 4-5pm or 4-6pm? This is an office administration job. Is there any cons of getting a second part time job ? Any possible burnouts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM

696 posts, read 906,378 times
A lot would depend on commuting times, child care responsibilities and your own energy level. You can always take the part time gig and quit after a few weeks if it stresses you out too much.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
I used to work 12 hour days, really just depends on knowing your own abilities. if you think you can handle it and all your other responsibilities, you should be fine

Old 09-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Some people are up to it, others are not. I worked 8-10 hours at a business I owned and for about the first year a part time evening job to help with the bills while starting out. That was at age 40, I wouldn't try it now, but I would expect someone younger, 20s or 30s to find it less exhausting. I wouldn't recommend it long term for anyone.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
One con would be what if you have a late day at primary job due to deadline, late meeting, emergency, whatever. . . Neither job would appreciate sharing you with the other.

Related con would be not having much time during business day for a life, surely you need doctors appointments and to meet the cable guy and such. Or if you do, do you miss out part of the day on both jobs?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 PM

271 posts, read 190,851 times
Get a job at a Supportive Living Agency and work one weekend a month. They often have 48 hr straight shifts. You'll get it all done quickly and it will be a different type of stress. Ask for an asleep position. If there insist on an awake position, that client is a buggar. The ones that cannot sleep thru the night are generally much harder to handle.

more than 8 hours at a desk job is alot of time to sit.

I'd find something completely different.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I've done it but only with flexibility. I worked 60 plus hour weeks in my regular IT job and another 10-20 on the side but it was just weekly maintenance and reports for a company who was flexible. I was also in my early to mid 20s with no kids or real
Obligations so it was fine for me. I wouldn't do it now with a small child even though the money is tempting.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:56 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
About 10 years ago, I took on a PT seasonal job to make some extra money for the holidays. I was really young, single, so it worked out well. It was tiring, so I don't think it'd be a great long term solution if you want to maintain your sanity and physical health.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
if the scheduling can be done and you're happy to do the work for the income, then working 50 to as much as 70 hrs/week is realistic for many people. I did so for many years as an employee and later as an independent businessman.

But only you will know if the work/life balance is a happy situation for you.

Try the extra work hours. If it works out, so be it. If it burns you out, then you'll know it.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Burnout is always a concern. It really depends on the logistics (commute, likelihood your hours will class sometimes, other demands on your time- social, family) and the actual job. If you're doing paperwork for 8 hours a day and then doing someone else's paperwork for an additional 2-3, that will get old really fast.

I currently work 4 jobs. One is 32 hours, two others are ~10 hours each (weekly), and the final one is about 6-10 hours, once or twice a month. It works, but I don't want to do it long-term. In a few months, I'll transition to keeping 3 of the jobs and getting rid of one of the 10 hours weekly jobs. Previously, I've worked 3 jobs (totally 60hr/wk) and been taking classes. That was tough, really tough. I also have kids at home. You're talking about a potentially 50-hr/ weekly load, which may feel very doable to you, depending on what the jobs are and how flexible they are, and how much you enjoy each job. If I were you, I'd try it out (because I usually need money and I like to be busy) and give yourself a month or so to see how it works with your life. I will tell you that my social life is the thing that suffers most- especially because any "social" time I have is really spent with my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment