Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times

Advertisements

My boss told me that a coworker in my department threatened to quit, and that one of her reasons was that I ask her to do my job for me. That isn't true. I have no idea what she actually said to my boss, that is what was repeated to me. My boss told me not to speak to this coworker, but it's really awkward, not only because it's a small building and a small staff, but because she still speaks to me as though nothing ever happened.

I asked my boss if he would meet with my coworker and myself and try to solve whatever our differences are. I didn't realize before then that she had a problem with me at all. He said no, we could not have a meeting to work through the problem. Feeling increasingly uncomfortable with the situation, I decided to ask my boss' supervisor if I would be able to meet with her and the coworker to work out whatever the problem is. She also declined such a meeting and reiterated that I shouldn't speak to this coworker.

It's pretty weird, since the coworker still just talks to me like nothing has changed, but I have been told to steer clear of her completely. In my dealings with her, I'm trying to just be polite and neutral, so as not to cause more problems.

How would you handle such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Don't talk to her back.

Involve HR if needed to CYA.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
What in the world? Honestly that is so bizarre. I have had a few situations where my boss at and mediated issues with other coworkers. It seems like there is something else to it.

Have you told your boss the coworker is speaking to you? Do you need to have conversations with this coworker?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What in the world? Honestly that is so bizarre. I have had a few situations where my boss at and mediated issues with other coworkers. It seems like there is something else to it.

Have you told your boss the coworker is speaking to you? Do you need to have conversations with this coworker?
Haven't told my boss that she still talks to me, though I think he has observed it.

As a supervisor in the department, I might have to speak to her at some point, especially if our boss isn't there.

I agree there must be something else I don't know about. It's been 3 weeks of this and I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks for the opinions and insights, guys.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
That's.......weird. I'd go to HR and advise them of this, just to be safe. Let them ask your boss what's going on and why he's not working to resolve this.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:58 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
Haven't told my boss that she still talks to me, though I think he has observed it.
I take it you don't have a union.....
This is ridiculous and I hope you're not being set up for a fall.

You're a supervisor in the damned department. How are you at SOME point not going to talk to this other person?

Unfortunately, you're the one behind the 8 ball.
You've already gone to your boss a couple of times about this. (I don't know why in the world you haven't already told the boss this person keeps talking to you.) Could be eventually he won't want to keep dealing with this BS and one of you will have to go. Could be the other person, or it could be you. IF this other person has filed some kind of complaint, it likely WON'T be her. Unless there's an AWFUL lot of documentation as to why. Why? Because she's covered herself, so that if she ever were to be fired she could claim it was retaliation for her complaint.

Some workers just know how to milk a system.

The minute this person kept talking with me, THAT'S when I would have let the boss (an or HR know).
But instead 1) you went to your boss' boss. Always a bad move. Tricky at best.
2) You've let this person keep talking to you and your boss has seen that conversation. Do you know for sure the boss saw this other person START the conversation. Or the boss saw her talking to you in an exchange YOU could have started. But you weren't covered before that happened by proactively and preemptively telling your boss this person is talking to YOU.

Did you ask the boss what you're supposed to do if and when this person talks to you first?

Good luck and keep us posted. It will be interesting to see what happens as this goes on.....

Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Wow..lol...op..please follow the advice thst has been given to you here. The situation is really bizzare .lol

Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
It sounds to me like they're trying to get rid of this other person, and they're trying not to involve you.
just my take on it.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:37 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Totally weird especially if you're a supervisor.

HOW is that other person accusing you of offloading your work to her? Is she a supervisor too? Do you share work responsibilities?

Yeah, it's possible they're watching HER but you can't be sure. It's a serious accusation that someone threatened to quit because of a specific other person. But the fact that they only told you to IGNORE her sort of says she's the problem IMO. Perhaps she's getting negative feedback on HER performance so she decided to lie and say she's got more work than YOU because you dump work on her.

I'd follow up with your boss in a sit down and nicely say "Just for the record and to give you some feedback, even though I have no idea what you're talking about - the co-worker is still talking to ME and acting very cordial so I'm doing my best."

I would want to convey I'm taking their [dumb, ridiculous] direction seriously.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
^ +1; would you be creating harsh working conditions if you just ignore them ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment