Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Around here it's so old fashioned...the men work in the woods,the prison,or highway flaggers etc. Only women work in offices or retail here,literally.
It sounds like you don't really belong there. Why did you move there if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:55 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Fed. bureaucrat for 30 yrs., sitting on my ass and shuffling papers. The agency was/is 75% female, one of whom was my late wife. Anyway, her daddy, who drove a logging truck in western Wash., believed that white collar sedentary jobs for women only. Without actually saying so, he probably thought I was a sissy-boi.

But I tell ya, when I was doing heavy labor summers during high school, working part-time in the meat dept. of a retail grocery store part-time during college years, and humping with the US Army infantry, I yearned for a nice, soft, sedentary career. And my wish came true.

I got sufficient macho jollies during my adult life with sports and fitness, until old age and aching joints set in, long after retiring.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
How have you concluded that Forks is mostly populated with mental midgets?
Chronic anemia, due to blood loss caused by mysterious nocturnal entities making periodic withdrawals on the unsuspecting populace.

Of course.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It sounds like you don't really belong there. Why did you move there if you don't mind me asking?
As usual I got knocked off track from my original plan,but I had mentioned a few posts back that we were trying to move to this area from across the country but it was nearly impossible competing for rentals so I just grabbed one of the first places that would accept us and go from there.
The whole area isn't too bad,it's just that some circumstances have hindered us from moving to the bigger towns...

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Fed. bureaucrat for 30 yrs., sitting on my ass and shuffling papers. The agency was/is 75% female, one of whom was my late wife. Anyway, her daddy, who drove a logging truck in western Wash., believed that white collar sedentary jobs for women only. Without actually saying so, he probably thought I was a sissy-boi.

But I tell ya, when I was doing heavy labor summers during high school, working part-time in the meat dept. of a retail grocery store part-time during college years, and humping with the US Army infantry, I yearned for a nice, soft, sedentary career. And my wish came true.
As I mentioned I also did alot of physical jobs earlier in life,but around here they expect you to grind yourself into the ground until an age where you'll need hip replacements etc. I guess to those 'tough guys' it's a race to see who can 'tough it out' til the end. No thanks,this thinking guy is into self preservation

Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Going to a job everyday that you hate can lead to depression.
Which may be why I have never met a guy in my trade or the others that hate their job.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
As usual I got knocked off track from my original plan,but I had mentioned a few posts back that we were trying to move to this area from across the country but it was nearly impossible competing for rentals so I just grabbed one of the first places that would accept us and go from there.
The whole area isn't too bad,it's just that some circumstances have hindered us from moving to the bigger towns...
You wanted to move to the PNW so bad you did it even though it meant you had to live in Forks? Have you been there for a winter yet? Get the tarps ready.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Can't say. I suppose your chances of progressing toward wimpdom is proportional to the size of your cute little work cubicle.
I'm a 70 year old wimp, mincing around my cubicle this afternoon drinking a soy latte, sniffing incense, listening to show tunes and thinking about all the non-manly things I'll be doing when I retire in two weeks: painting and cooking and birdwatching. I've never been a manly man, and neither was my father who made his living as a musician. I hate watching professional or college sports on TV - real men love to do this. This in spite of the fact that one of my grandfathers was a coal miner and the other a machinist.

The dictionary says a wimp is a "weak, ineffectual, timid person." And I suppose the fact that I know what a dictionary is and can actually use it is more evidence of my wimpy and effeminate nature.

I spent six years working with court-ordered domestic violence offenders. They called guys like me "suits" and assumed we all made tons of money for sitting on our rears in cubicles doing non-manly things (in fact, many of them made a lot more money than master's level therapists like me). As men, we are in their eyes failures and ineffectual.

What kind of modern society would you have if all you had were guys doing physical labor? You wouldn't -- because the suits and thinkers are needed as much as the machinist and coal miners. Why guys in the trades feel that have to constantly put down "suits" like me is a mystery. Guess if I were more "manly" I'd understand.

Seriously, dude, why do you care what these uninformed and immature pinheads might think about you? If you don't like the area you're in, move some place where you'll find men who don't give a crap about appearing "wimpy" to others. Which is most of the country.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 PM

206 posts, read 154,417 times
I'm a guy. I have done hands on hard labor. It sucks. Middle aged dudes tell the younger guys to get a better job unless they want surgery to remove calcified growths on their knuckles from all the wrenching, or messed up knees from all the kneeling, by the time they're 35.

I was doing this at a tire shop and also odd jobs at some day labor place during college. You bet it motivated me to go home and open those books and solve all them differential equations.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM

127 posts, read 178,282 times
On the weekdays I sit at my desk and write computer code.

On the weekends I go out to my shop where I restore classic cars. I grind, weld, sand, paint, wrench, lose skin, acquire bruises, etc. Then get in one with no A/C or power anything and drive around some. Or get on my 35 year old motorcycle and ride around.

So I guess I'm half-wimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment