Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM

119 posts, read 68,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I am in a very similar situation and I believe I know what you want in a job.

Basically, you want to get out of the corporate rat race of stress, ladder climbing, and dealing with undesirable personalities and doing work that is relatively unmeaningful to you.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of the jobs you picked were also ones I was considering, though I am very willing to deal with touching people and fluids.

So my list also consisted of nurse, and social worker. Teacher was also on mine, as was PT.

I'm still trying to get a good push towards making a change, my life has been very hectic recently.

But my advice to you would be to see what those jobs are like before you pursue. For instance, you can sit at the library or pharmacy every day for a week and see what those people do.

Just curious, are there any other jobs that were on your list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 04:12 PM

Default What Jobs Would Fit Me Based on My Interests?

Can you help be brainstorm various jobs based on what I want in a job?

I posted a similar question a while ago, but I am not sure I explained myself as well as I should have. I am 35, with a BA in Communications and an MBA. I am more verbally oriented than mathematical. Presently, I am a substitute teacher. I like it but I want to make sure that I have considered other job options before I go back to school to obtain a teacher's license.

What I am looking for in a job:
- Relaxed, low stress
- I like to help people
- Quite a bit of independence/autonomy
- I like a certain job security and at least middle class pay

What I am not looking for in a job:
- desk jobs (4 or more hours at a desk a day)
- not interested in starting my own business
- prospecting/cold calling, business to business sales or other jobs with rejection
- jobs that require heavy thought while working
- Dealing with bodily fluids and gore

Jobs that might meet my above qualifications, along with some of my comments:

Teacher - Phy ed teacher or some other type of teacher. It's hard to find work as a phy ed teacher

Librarian - Very hard to get a job

Dietitian - I'm not that passionate about food. Pays less per hour compared to teaching and has worse
retirement benefits

Forester- it might be hard being outside all the time especially when older. Progression in the field means
having a desk job. I might have to work in a remote area.

Physical therapist assistant - ruled out because you have to touch a stranger's body and work with it, Also it's hard to do the job past 50's. Being a teacher would take me the same amount of educational time, and pays more

physical therapist - Hard to get in...requires hard math, pay = with PE teacher. Requires hands-on work with someone's body which I am not sure I would like

Pharmacist- hard to get a job and hard to get in grad school

Last edited by Justsomeone9; 11-28-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justsomeone9 View Post

I posted a similar question a while ago, but I am not sure I explained myself as well as I should have. I am 35, with a BA in Communications and an MBA. I am more verbally oriented than mathematical. Presently, I am a substitute teacher. I like it but I want to make sure that I have considered other job options before I go back to school to obtain a teacher's license.

- Relaxed, low stress
- I like to help people

- prospecting/cold calling, business to business sales or other jobs with rejection

Teacher - Phy ed teacher or some other type of teacher. It's hard to find work as a phy ed teacher

Dietitian - I'm not that passionate about food. Pays less per hour compared to teaching and has worse
retirement benefits

Forester- it might be hard being outside all the time especially when older. Progression in the field means

Physical therapist assistant - ruled out because you have to touch a stranger's body and work with it, Also it's hard to do the job past 50's. Being a teacher would take me the same amount of educational time, and pays more

physical therapist - Hard to get in...requires hard math, pay = with PE teacher. Requires hands-on work with someone's body which I am not sure I would like

hmm.. i'll be the first to say that loss stress and mid-range pay don't usually go together.. but some thoughts (will hit some but not all of your reqs):
1. Banker
2. Customer Service
3. Post Office
4. Costco
5. Real Estate
6. Massage Therapist
7. Marketing

Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Retail management - but hours can be long and unpredictable
Consulting - could entail travel and long hours, but pay is usually very good
Pharmacy Tech - since you mentioned Pharmacist; less schooling, not as mentally strenuous
Entrepreneur - start a business
Realtor - potentially good pay with low barrier to entry
Something in nonprofit

Old 11-28-2017, 05:09 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:

- Relaxed, low stress
- I like to help people

retirement benefits

I am also a Substitute Teacher and I love it. It is definitely low stress and an easy job compared to what I did for most of my career (computer programmer analyst). Plus there is no overtime work, and a lot of time off. But this type of job does not pay well. For me, it does not matter because I am retired.

However, certified regular teachers earn 2 to 3 times more than subs. But they also have far more responsibilities and work evenings and weekends. And there is more pressure. Nevertheless, I think that regular teaching may be best for you. You already have experience as a teacher. You have followed lesson plans and have done classroom management. You have stood in class and taught students.

Here in Texas, subs are credited with real teaching experience for every year they teach. If they become certified later, their sub experience counts in salary determination for new teaching positions. Unfortunately, in Texas subs are in great demand but certified teachers are a dime a dozen. You should do some research to see where the greatest demand is for teachers if you decide to pursue this.

I heard that to teach in Arizona, all you need is a Bachelor's degree and no certification of any kind. Of course, the pay is low and so is the environment.

Oklahoma is another state to look at. My daughter-in-law recently finished her Bachelor's degree in Education. She wanted to teach in Michigan but the competition was too fierce. She had interned in Oklahoma and decided to apply there. She was still in Michigan and had several phone interviews with Oklahoma schools. After two days, she had four job offers. Of course, like in Arizona, the pay and environment were bad.

But to get your foot in the door you might try to get a job in one of those high demand areas. Since the need for teachers is so great, you might even be able to negotiate a PE teaching position.

Having been in the corporate world, teaching seems to be the best option. Of course, you have to deal with unruly students, have to prepare lesson plans and grade papers evenings and weekends, but the work is the same.

When I was a software developer, I was loaded up with projects and had to put in many overtime hours to get them done on time. There were impossible deadlines and a lot of stress. I was also on call a lot. It was a nightmare and I am glad that I am out of there.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
hmm.. i'll be the first to say that loss stress and mid-range pay don't usually go together.. but some thoughts (will hit some but not all of your reqs):
1. Banker
2. Customer Service
3. Post Office
4. Costco
5. Real Estate
6. Massage Therapist
7. Marketing

Post Office might not be so bad.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Retail management - but hours can be long and unpredictable
Consulting - could entail travel and long hours, but pay is usually very good
Pharmacy Tech - since you mentioned Pharmacist; less schooling, not as mentally strenuous
Entrepreneur - start a business
Realtor - potentially good pay with low barrier to entry
Something in nonprofit
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really inspired to start my own business. I was actually a Pharma Tech a while back...sad to say that it payed just a little over retail sales. Is consulting mostly a desk job?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Aside from the blood and such, I'd say a lab tech meets the other three things you want

gs 9-11 throughout country, 12/13 for supervisors/managers

bachelors degree + certification, no masters+phd

Old 11-28-2017, 05:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Post Office might not be so bad.
Just curious why you spent time and money getting your MBA if you just wanted to get a low stress/ ok pay, minimal experience/ education required job such as the Post Office?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:53 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really inspired to start my own business. I was actually a Pharma Tech a while back...sad to say that it payed just a little over retail sales. Is consulting mostly a desk job?
Consulting can be some desk work, but many of the consultants I know are on the road a lot, on site with clients, presenting materials, etc. So not your traditional 9-5 humdrum office job. You also get to work on different projects every few months, so it keeps things fresh. Not sure if that is what you’re looking for, but I always find it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment