Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Well I'm going out to dinner and drunks with managers tonight. Curious to see if this topic comes up. I would definitely do it verbally not bring it up thru an email first. Sure it would be better to send an email first but my manager isn't the type that wants a preamble to a conversation. I think the email first idea is something for people under 40.

Also, if I don't bring it up...why am I bringing it up now? That is my introduction to topic as far as I'm concerned. Coworkers from other departments have said they've talked to my manager about promoting me. Every few weeks someone asks me when am I getting promoted. People notice me here as I work for a smaller company vs huge companies like in the past.
My only other suggestion would be to bring it up one on one with him, and not in a group setting. That way you’re not putting him on the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I would bring it up to them and be direct, similar to what left handed stated. Be prepared to show why you should be promoted as well.

Our company recently went through a reorganization and we had to pick the new job we wanted, and no promotions would be given. I have been here five years and thought, hell I want and deserve a promotion. During the meeting with my boss I said "I know you said pick a description on level, but a promotion to Director really appeals to me, this is why". The next day I got the promotion.

Ask, the worst they can say is no.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Yea, I'll do it next month in his office. I'm pending a few things before I want to bring it up. If it doesn't go well, I'm going to start looking elsewhere. I'm not in the position to start looking right now.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:57 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
Quote:
Yea, I'll do it next month in his office. I'm pending a few things before I want to bring it up. If it doesn't go well, I'm going to start looking elsewhere. I'm not in the position to start looking right now.
Best of luck! It sounds promising.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My guess is that the boss was way too relaxed and unaware that they were giving the impression that a promotion was coming. He mentioned it while "buzzed" and then hasn't said a word since then? I'm guessing the guy was drunk.
Who cares if the boss remembers or not? That's irrelevant. If OP is making a valuable contribution to the company, (and it appears that he is,) he should bring up the possibility of a promotion anyway.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
My father passed away 6 weeks ago and now I have alot more bills on my plate. I'm not worried about money but I am going thru my savings now to cover all expenses.
You should not ask about the promotion just because you need money now.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-07-2017 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
So next months marks 18 months with my current employer. About three months ago, went out with my manager and my managers manager for drinks after work. We got a bit buzzed and without any input from me, the big boss brought up promoting me.

Since then, they haven't brought it up at all. I've been involved in management meetings and lunches where I'm the only non-manager. One of the younger managers told me it looks like I'm being groomed to get promoted.

Now I don't mind being patient but my personal life has changed over the last three months. My father passed away 6 weeks ago and now I have alot more bills on my plate. I'm not worried about money but I am going thru my savings now to cover all expenses. It's not something I want to do for a prolonged period of time.

They don't really do 6 month reviews with my position but I want to bring up the promotion talk next month. I need to know how to proceed forward with everything. I may need to relocate and such to cut down my expenses. There's alot on my plate and I could wait but it's very difficult. I feel like my life is on hold right now.

My managers are well aware of my fathers passing as I took time off for it.

I don't like involving personal life with work but this feels unavoidable.

Am I wrong? Should I wait?

Looking for advice from those who may know more than I.

Thanks.
It really comes down to your relationship with your manager. But in general, you want to avoid it if possible. Your personal issues are that - personal.

Has there been any coaching/mentoring provided? In other words, since that comment was made, has there been any discussion around what you need to do? If not, I would take that as the first step. Say you are interested, and would like to know that you should be working on (essentially, take on the responsibilities that the promoted position would be doing). This gives you the opportunity to remind them of what was said, and also show that you are interested.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Who cares if the boss remembers or not? That's irrelevant. If OP is making a valuable contribution to the company, (and it appears that he is,) he should bring up the possibility of a promotion anyway.
I never said he shouldn't ask about the promotion. I said he should come forward with the proof of work that justifies the promotion.

What I said is that he shouldn't reference this specific conversation.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Three ways to achieve a promotion:
1: be related
2: do less around team mates and steal their thunder. Make it appear you did the work. ,Undermining is a very tedious task ya know?
3: groveling works for some! Actually worked with someone who became so annoying that they promoted her so they could put her in an office...Way..Way....Down the hall. (She's still looking for her stapler)

As much as you insist it's not a money issue...The methinks thou doth protest too much bares mentioning. What is it from the promotion that you can accomplish for the company that you aren't doing already?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
Update:

Went out with some managers on Thursday for dinner and drinks. I was the only non-manager invited. I'm going to a conference in Vegas at the end of the month. I'll be the only person from the company going. IMO, Expense reports and timecards are kinda difficult when you're an hourly employee. I've done it before but that was with a big company. There was also talk of this pending system update to generate reports. They'v been waiting for this update. When the promotion talk came up, they talked about this report and having someone who really understands it explain them to key departments. That person would be me.

So I'm hoping the talk comes up on its own. I think I should push my timeframe to January instead of month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment