Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times

Advertisements

So I am looking for some guidance here, some past experiences for this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me.

Basically Company A advertised 2 positions; an entry level and a supervisory role. I applied specifically for the entry level position and subsequently got 2 interviews for the entry level role. I get the rejection today and it is because "they are looking for someone to fill the supervisory role" as opposed to the entry level role". And yes the entry level position is still advertised on their website

Which then begs the question where they ever really looking to fill the entry level role or where they looking only to fill the supervisor position but still advertised the entry level just because.... reasons?

I felt like I got jerked around for 2 interviews, pre-employment tests etc... for a position that they never intended to fill in the first place. I don't mind rejection, it has happened to me before and will happen again but to get rejected for a position that they seemingly never had any intention of hiring in the first place seems off and honestly downright emotionally manipulative. Has this situation happened to anyone before? Are there any hints or signs so I can avoid this happening to me again in the future?

Why waste my time, their time interviewing for a position that does not exist or you are not recruiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I suspect that you were not a good fit for the entry position. Maybe you were over qualified, weren't their first choice, or something more subtle.

There are some employers who post a position just to look at applicants. Not a good practice but you never know. OTOH they may have actually made an offer to someone but haven't taken down the posting because they haven't had the time to do that.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
My guess is they have someone specific they want to hire but have to show they interviewed other applicants. Likely a friend or relative and they do this as a fake show to defend accusations of nepotism.

My local government employer had a policy that positions must be advertised for a minimum of one hour. I have seen them post the job, call the person they want and have them apply, then close the job after an hour. Guess who gets hired?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:19 PM

254 posts, read 458,754 times
My guess is they had someone they thought they could promote if they found an entry level, then changed their mind.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Why waste my time, their time interviewing for a position that does not exist or you are not recruiting for?
Why are YOU wasting you mental/emotional energy on a job you didn't get? All the questions you're asking don't matter. You didn't get the job. Move on.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Companies love to play that game. Its happened to me 3-4 times over the last 6-10 years. . Looking for purple squirrels for cheap nuts (which don;'t exist), and they have no problem jerking the candidate around for weeks on end. You call and do a follow up, they tell you they will get back to you, a week passes, you call back, no response. They don't have enough common courtesy or decency to even tell you if the position has been filled so you're left in limbo.

Chances are they didn't hire anyone. Just threw more responsibility on the sad sack thats already there. Companies would much prefer to run "Lean and mean" (Whatever the hell that is.. Less workers don't seem an efficient way to run a business to me because people eventually burn out and ultimately QUIT).

Or they hired a relative/friend of the hiring manager or some exec.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
This is done all the time. They advertise one position hoping to fill another. Why? It let's them hire whomever they please and avoid pesky EEOC questions, being forced to hire the most qualified candidate, and makes it easy to sneak in a friend or relative. Some companies have a policy that forces them to advertise all positions. They will go through the motions but in reality they already know who they are going to hire or promote. These things are done every day.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Got to thank the EEOC/EOE BS.. It happens more than you realize. Didnt take long for the one poster (you didnt get it so why cry about it) argument..

in the IT field, it happens daily. Post a job, then apply, go through the hoops and next day later the job posting been deleted. Find out later, they already had somebody in the spot, just laws requires them to get outside applications for any openings they have. It really sucks for those that are really looking and in need of a job, and get these scumbags posting fake openings. Then you get those postings that want some big list of virtually impossible requirements, thinking you work for NASA and looking for a job..

Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM

156 posts, read 123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
My guess is they have someone specific they want to hire but have to show they interviewed other applicants. Likely a friend or relative and they do this as a fake show to defend accusations of nepotism.

My local government employer had a policy that positions must be advertised for a minimum of one hour. I have seen them post the job, call the person they want and have them apply, then close the job after an hour. Guess who gets hired?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Got to thank the EEOC/EOE BS.. It happens more than you realize. Didnt take long for the one poster (you didnt get it so why cry about it) argument..

in the IT field, it happens daily. Post a job, then apply, go through the hoops and next day later the job posting been deleted. Find out later, they already had somebody in the spot, just laws requires them to get outside applications for any openings they have. It really sucks for those that are really looking and in need of a job, and get these scumbags posting fake openings. Then you get those postings that want some big list of virtually impossible requirements, thinking you work for NASA and looking for a job..
This right here, I've been a victim of these types of interviews and it's frustrating. What pisses me off even more is that if I'm already employed and get a call for an interview than that means I would have to take time off of work just to fill there stupid interview quota.

Now a days, I can pick up on if it's a quota interview like they rush the interview, fill the position that day!!!, recruiter/employer gives an ultimatum, not flexible on interviewing times, etc. I was able to dodge a quota interview once. The hell with that, I will not have my time wasted to fill there stupid quota.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,699 times
Welcome to the current US job market, it's not as easy as it was years ago.
That job might or might not exist, only the company knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment