Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM

206 posts, read 154,442 times

Advertisements

Don't know. I'm weary of claims made by management. We all have our opinions of our co workers, sometimes they worked harder than we ever knew, but just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM

34 posts, read 55,304 times
In my experience, situations like this usually mean that previous managers were unwilling to address the issues here. Weak managers who do not hold people accountable for meeting minimum standards create teams like this. Over time, strong performers leave, as they see that they are treated the same as poor performers. Some managers are just afraid, or unwilling to do the work it takes to document the problems and fire those who won't do what is required. Of course, the other side of this is to also ensure you are giving positive reinforcement to those that do the work as asked. Letting them know they are appreciated often is helpful. Bonuses and raises are great too of course, but only when they are coupled with authentic appreciation.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Start looking into firing these people and getting new employees to replace them. If this is not an option because the new employees will cost you too much, then it's likely you're underpaying these employees, then in that case, give raises to the "less bad" employees as an incentive and motivate them to perform better.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
I can confirm it's not nepotism.

It's something far worse... Lol.

They are young and live at home with their parents? Therefore it doesn't matter if they don't do their job and get fired?

I know when I was young and starting out, I was always terrified I would lose my job because that meant I would have to move back home with my parents!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The company actually wants to get rid of us, because we've all been there so long that we make too much money collectively.
That in itself is another problem that is likely to cause low morale. Who wants to bust their butt for years and move up the ladder only to be thrown out unceremoniously when they are older because the company thinks they are paid too high and that they can get someone younger (or foreign) for cheaper, and then have a hard time getting anywhere near that rate again due to age discrimination, etc, if they can get rehired at all?

Younger workers saw that happen to the Boomers and some of Generation X and fear the same will happen to them.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
The fact that it is so many people reflects a systemic issue within the organization. Firing everyone within a short amount of time without an explanation to upper management as to why so suddenly things are falling apart will not go over well.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
There is just no work ethic.
So document it, and fire their lazy butts. Then hire whomever you want.

You have to start firing people in order to get them to understand this is not a cakewalk.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Can you just fire them? Seems like these are the typical entitled bunch, that is far to common today
I hate these types of people. yesterday waiting for 30 min for a wendys meal then employee deciding to roll her eyes and ignore, I went off for real. She lost her job and tbh she didn't need one since she thought she was better then wendys. everybody behind texting and laughing instead of doing the drivetrhu heard it from me also.

This happened before I had to get out go inside behind the counter, demand I get my Baconanator and quit acting gansta at the drive thru. Its really simple. I deff avoid the starbucks crap.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I am retired but I had an experience that I don't want to mention with whom for legal reasons but I endured a sales update that if I had the power to do so I would have fired at least two people because of the lack of professionalism. I was on vacation and explained to the person wanting me to do the update that we had a busy week and did not have time for an update. She explained that they had a new person in charge and a lot if things had changed which I knew about the change in CEO and it sounded reasonable that things may have changed but I told her I had another vacation scheduled next month and would have more time then. She assured me the update would only take one hour while we were having breakfast. So instead of sleeping in and resting from our drive to the place we agreed to an early morning meeting. I had some questions about the reservation system and hoped to get an answer about it. I asked the question but never got an answer.

Instead our time was taken up with telling us AGAIN the same thing we had been told last October where we were treated with respect. Then the sales pitch came with some **** and bull fuzzy math that only a total idiot would have fallen for and I was accused of being hard-headed because I didn't agree with the figures. They wasted three hours of my time and as I left I encountered the girl who had assured me we would be finished in one hour and I told her the one hour had turned into three wherein she asked me why that had happened. I was too polite to tell her it was because they were a bunch of liars. But she did explain to me it was my choice to listen to the update. We had the impression that if we ever wanted our parking pass we had to agree to it. I will remember the next time it is my choice.

Do people really think they are going to profit by trying to make others feel like an idiot? When I explained to the young man that he had taken up his time allowed, he accused me of dumping on him because of what someone else had done. I told him that the person who had told me that was in his company. Do they not work for the same place and honor promises their company has made to me? Hope I never have a real problem with these people when no one is responsible and it is the patrons fault when they don't do what they are supposed to do.

There was a sign in the elevator saying guests were not supposed to tell employees what to do. I don't think anybody is telling them what to do. Or maybe they are telling them to harass the guests so they will go somewhere else the next time so they can rent the space out for twice the cost.

Last edited by NCN; 10-17-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 11:59 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
I hate these types of people. yesterday waiting for 30 min for a wendys meal then employee deciding to roll her eyes and ignore, I went off for real. She lost her job and tbh she didn't need one since she thought she was better then wendys. everybody behind texting and laughing instead of doing the drivetrhu heard it from me also.

This happened before I had to get out go inside behind the counter, demand I get my Baconanator and quit acting gansta at the drive thru. Its really simple. I deff avoid the starbucks crap.
Its a big problem with people down near minimum wage. They will do the bare minimum to not get fired and even if they do any new job they might get will pay at least the same or better.

There was a time with having a work ethic was actually something to aspire to. Now its only a chump works hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment