Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:16 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times

Advertisements

I hate this type of stuff. You will lose friends for sure. And won't make money buy you will make other people rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I nearly did [snip], a similar company. I realized the last day of training I couldn't do it and walked out. Not that I couldn't sell it, but rather that i didn't have the customer base to do much of anything. I am not sure if [snip] was a scam or not, but it isn't a great company unless you have married friends.

i would look into what your company looks for in their customer and know if you can do that. Also be passionate about the products. Love cosmetics and perfumes, check out [snip].
I heard that in some cases,[snip] ends up taking your customer base as their own anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That's the thing though.

You have to be effective sales people, and as that recent thread on shadiest professions showed, sales people like car salesmen aren't exactly respected.
I couldn't do it. Lie like that. That's not to say I'm "Mr. goody two shoes" either. If you snag someone who doesn't know better, you feel bad about potentially ruining their relationships, marriages, children's lives, and financial situations, and being evicted. The people who DO know better.. you need to be constantly deflecting their concerns...
"Is this Amway/Quixstar/an MLM type deal?"
Their response are something like "It's even better than a job!", or "You can earn so much money from this!". Other questions are replied, and those don't answer the question at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Even if you have a great concept or product, you still have to pester people to make your business grow. Once you've alienated all your family and friends, what next? Coworkers? Walk up to strangers at Starbucks? Aww hell no, everyone will be onto you, no one approaches another random person in public without an ulterior motive.
[Mod cut.] HQ sent a memo to everyone in the organization, telling them they are NOT to pitch to people in Barnes & Noble. It wasn't due to any goodness of their hearts. It's because [snip] HQ got sent a letter from B&N, who got numerous complaints from their guests about getting harassed by them.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2017 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Please don't name names in this thread.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
<>"Is this [snip] an MLM type deal?"<>
Our trained response, was simply, "No."
It wasn't [Mod cut.] and it wasn't multilevel. Later we could explain details, but the big step in the front end was to educate, overcome objections, and get people interested. If people aren't interested, move on, don't be annoying.
That is pretty much what any business ends up being, isn't it? A lot of people come to you because they have been attracted to your offering, but most just happen to see you in their peripheral vision. They start out thinking you are something you are not. There are a lot of products presented on TV that are sold that way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Most of the products that MLMs sell can be purchased anywhere, often for less money. Whether it's essential oils, leggings, cosmetics, cleaning products or vitamins.
That is exactly what I meant when I mentioned the ultimate failure of any sales system that has only one product or a narrow range of products. Even if you start out with the best looking panty-hose in the world, as soon as it begins to sell, someone will figure out how to mass produce it and beat you to death on price and delivery. Then your company is stuck because they have committed to the one product.
The talent is to have people out at the leading edge looking for the next big thing. Or even the next small bunch of things

Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

[snip] HQ sent a memo to everyone in the organization, telling them they are NOT to pitch to people in Barnes & Noble. It wasn't due to any goodness of their hearts. It's because [snip] HQ got sent a letter from B&N, who got numerous complaints from their guests about getting harassed by them.

They must have been haunting those stores like crazy.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2017 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They must have been haunting those stores like crazy.
I once did a weekend of training on how to work a mall. It was the most fun when we went out at lunch and practiced on the [Mod cut.]. Those kiosks are real hell holes.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2017 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Please don't name names in this thread.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Here is the secret when looking at a network marketing company or product. If you had to does the compensation payout enough to keep a roof over your head and food on the table if you had to just from your personal sales of a product or service.

Here is the biggest stumbling block. It's sales and most people just don't want to sell which is why we see so many negative comments. No matter how many times people say network marketing doesn't work someone is making it work.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here is the secret when looking at a network marketing company or product. If you had to does the compensation payout enough to keep a roof over your head and food on the table if you had to just from your personal sales of a product or service.

Here is the biggest stumbling block. It's sales and most people just don't want to sell which is why we see so many negative comments. No matter how many times people say network marketing doesn't work someone is making it work.
I completely agree! If you are going to go into sales, you have to ask yourself, can I make money selling it myself. If the answer is "NO". It's not a good business. Second, you have to ask yourself, do I believe in this product with all my heart and soul. I'm just passionate about this product.

And I also agree that most people failed because they have no business in sales in the first place because they aren't skill enough to be in sales.

Sales is a skill. A skill that must be learn. Do you think a random guy wakes up one day and says, "From this moment on, I'm going to be a doctor". Hell no! He's going to have to go to learn how to become a doctor. Do you think someone says, "I going to be a mechanic" suddenly knows how to fix cars? No! Why do people assume, suddenly they are going to be great at selling the moment they joined a sales organization without learning the craft?

I understand that becoming a saleperson is much easier than becoming a doctor, but sales is still a skill that must be learn.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:39 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Our trained response, was simply, "No."
It wasn't [snip] and it wasn't multilevel. Later we could explain details, but the big step in the front end was to educate, overcome objections, and get people interested. If people aren't interested, move on, don't be annoying.
That is pretty much what any business ends up being, isn't it? A lot of people come to you because they have been attracted to your offering, but most just happen to see you in their peripheral vision. They start out thinking you are something you are not. There are a lot of products presented on TV that are sold that way.
I've learned the way they say "no" also tells me a lot. If I go to one of these meetings and it turns out to be [snip]r, or an MLM, then you just lied to me. With pretty much any business, if you lie, like on your resume or interview, many here on C-D will agree that's a sign of poor character.

When I buy something on TV, I get that product. They don't then tell me that I have to find other people to sell that product, and that those other people need to do the same. When you get into [Mod cut.], the product is recruiting downlines. Work the numbers, and it's truly unsustainable. Their own brochures even say the fail rate is over 99%.

At least the car salesman, as sleazy as his tactics can be, who sells a good amount of product will get commissions and bonuses to pay out very comparably and even surpass a typical salaried individual.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2017 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Please don't name names in this thread.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
As a timely suggestion, read the articles out there about the new Lu La Roe class-action lawsuit just filed last week.
I have not read all the posts, but some people are happy with this company, but many are not. Just go on YouTube and see.

When I was young and in a social neighborhood, I had many opportunities to attend parties like this...pampered chef, longenberger baskets, etc. even though there was no pressure to buy, I stopped going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment