Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

As I was surfing the web, I tangentially found this website that I thought was pretty inspiring.

This young woman quit her corporate job to travel and has found ways to generate income to sustain her while she travels and blogs. I found this to be very gutsy, especially considering her peripheral info, she'd probably have been really successful in the corporate world. If she goes back or doesn't, it was still a brave move.

https://theblondeabroad.com/

Now, I certainly wouldn't do what she is doing if I created the opportunity. Travel and exploring are nice for me, but I'd have other plans.

But I see so many young people here who are just imbued with the mentality to get a job doing whatever that pays $XX,XXX mid career... and slog through while kissing ass and playing office politics to get your salary raises, I think that's an attitude you'll come back to regret, especially if you don't even take a chance when you're younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
I was recently reading a different forum and the topic of passion and work came up. It was an interesting discussion and my take away, from both the discussion and my own experience, is that passion is a double edged sword. Sure, it sounds awesome to follow your passion and it can be really great. But, if you are passionate about what you do for work it means you care deeply. So, the downside to that is that a bad day at work is much harder mentally than it is when you don't care.

I know because now that I have my own business doing something I am passionate about I feel it. The highs are so much higher, but the lows are much lower. When I worked for a large bank, I honestly did not give a **** about it. I wasn't 100% conscious of that at the time, but looking back, nothing really got to me. I really only cared enough to want to keep my job for the money. If they took the money away, I would have been out of there so fast heads would spin. But now, even when money isn't pouring out of the sky, I care about my business. I care about the clients. I care about the products. I care about my employees. It's just totally different.

So, following your passion is great, but it's not without its own downsides. I have to worry about the future now in a different way. I have to please many people (clients) instead of just a couple bosses. But, it's great because I actually care about the outcome and coming to work isn't a drag. I want to be here (most days). I often enjoy solving the problems that come up and I want to make the best products I can. Mentally when things are going well it's a thousand times more fulfilling, but when they aren't going well, it's much harder.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I was reading an article about a successful lady who gave up her corporate job to pursue her passion of being a Yoga instructor and ended up homeless and destitute.

The real world doesn't work that way. You make money by providing goods and services that others are willing to pay for. You will not magically make money because you are passionate about Ancient Greek Civilization. If you are passionate about a job that also is economically in demand that is a less and less common luxury. Otherwise one has to balance what job they can tolerate doing and what standard of living they can tolerate having.

edit I found the article
https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...yoga/21138646/

Old 10-27-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I was reading an article about a successful lady who gave up her corporate job to pursue her passion of being a Yoga instructor and ended up homeless and destitute.

The real world doesn't work that way. You make money by providing goods and services that others are willing to pay for. You will not magically make money because you are passionate about Ancient Greek Civilization. If you are passionate about a job that also is economically in demand that is a less and less common luxury. Otherwise one has to balance what job they can tolerate doing and what standard of living they can tolerate having.

edit I found the article
https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...yoga/21138646/
Why don't you look up what Jessica Pishko is doing now?

Jessica Pishko

She's homeless and destitute and living on the streets begging with a paper cup? Really?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why don't you look up what Jessica Pishko is doing now?

Jessica Pishko

She's homeless and destitute and living on the streets begging with a paper cup? Really?
She gave up on Yoga. She was driven to bankruptcy and near homelessness "pursuing her passion" and in the end her passion made her quality of life so poor she needed antidepressants and lost the passion she had in the first place. That is something I can relate a bit to with Chemistry. Sometimes conditions are so bad in a field it ends up destroying your passion.

It is all about balance and compromises. That is why I cringe when I hear people tell someone to blindly follow their passion regardless of career prospects and money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
After that weekend, I filed for bankruptcy and ended the calls from creditors. I interviewed for a job with benefits and health insurance so that I could start back on antidepressants. I had to work in an office, but at least I could afford a beer after work.

Jessica Pishko is a San Francisco writer. She has a JD from Harvard Law School and an MFA from Columbia.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 10-27-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
She gave up on Yoga. She was driven to bankruptcy and near homelessness "pursuing her passion" and in the end her passion made her quality of life so poor she needed antidepressants and lost the passion she had in the first place. That is something I can relate a bit to with Chemistry. Sometimes conditions are so bad in a field it ends up destroying your passion. It is all about balance and compromises.
I'm honestly didn't post in here to argue this point.

If the link speaks to you, then it does. If it doesn't, then it doesn't.

I obviously posted it for a reason...

Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
But I see so many young people here who are just imbued with the mentality to get a job doing whatever that pays $XX,XXX mid career... and slog through while kissing ass and playing office politics to get your salary raises, I think that's an attitude you'll come back to regret, especially if you don't even take a chance when you're younger.
Or they could pursue their passion, end up with no broke with no healthcare (or poor coverage) and struggling to reenter a workforce with outdated skills at 40. They therefore have to work until they're 70 or later.

No one has a crystal ball and can know what people will regret.

IMO if you can't make a reasonable living at your passion (and I think that's the case for most people unfortunately), find something you don't hate and pursue your passion in your free time. Save your money, retire early and then you can pursue it full time.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
I've heard of her and followed her some. I think what she's doing is awesome and she's clearly very smart and knows how to market herself and her brand.

But I do not think just anybody could do what she did and make it work. I know my situation (mostly my bank account..the student loans..etc) would not allow for me to get started, I'd be homeless in a week! lol I think a lot of young people would LOVE to live that lifestyle and turn it into a career, it's just not reality for many. My best friend and I talk about how we wish we could do that all the time. Dream job.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 AM

317 posts, read 652,423 times
I work in the area of my passion, but had to make some specific decisions to make it possible. One was moving to an area where the cost of living was significantly lower than where I grew up. I can work from anywhere so this was possible. I had to develop my skills and my market over a period of years while having a part time job. I had to maintain a rock solid work ethic. I am self employed and have not had a back up job in over 20 years now and by marketing myself carefully and living within my means I have maintained a solid middle class standard of living even through the economic downturn. I own a largish home in a good neighborhood. Easy... no. Possible... yes.

Entanglements such as large amounts of debt and having children before achieving stability would make launching such a career much harder, I would imagine.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Like MSchemist says, there has to be a balance (for most people).

People who have "real" jobs aren't all miserable idiots because they didn't pursue their passions and become rock stars or professional athletes, or couch potatoes.

Sure, swing the bat if you can. But make sure it's a well calculated swing and there are contingencies in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment