Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Update: missed a call, the potential employer left me a voice mail offering me the job - I have until the end of the business day to call the manager (met her in the second interview) back. I suppose we are to discuss start date, etc. and then I would expect HR to follow up with an official written offer.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that the 12.5 hour shifts include a 1 hour lunch break however employees are encouraged to work through this break because apparently the workload is really heavy and they don't even have time to step away from their desks some days. I get a bad feeling that the stress, workload, early starts (06:30am) followed by a rapid changeover to night shifts will be too much to handle. Returning from the interviews last week I was driving by the countryside and there some farm animals. I was happy to see them and realized that I'd rather work on a farm or at least explore what it takes to do such a job rather than the office job I had just interviewed for. I was also hoping not to get a call back but alas I did. I should be happy to get a job offer but I'm not, at least not this one.

Bottom line, right now I'm considering:
a) Calling back and declining
b) Calling back and accepting but continuing to apply to other jobs and then maybe resigning after the 4 week training is done
c) Calling back and saying I need some time to think about it due to relocation logistics (housing, transport, insurance, healthcare) which will result in me being eliminated
d) Not calling back at all and letting the verbal offer expire (that would be rude but would indicate I'm not interested)

I'm torn as to what to do and will probably think about it another few hours before deciding.
Call back, thank them for the opportunity to interview....But that you are considering other offers. Hang up.
Make sure that you follow up with your references and tell them you decided that position wasn't the right fit. Tell them thank you for being a reference....and they should probably expect to be contacted again hopefully soon as you are still actively looking for your next job. Stay in touch with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM

359 posts, read 302,217 times
Thanks to those who provided feedback so far including JanND for writing what to actually say on the phone. I discussed the various pros and cons with my parents and they suggested I decline the offer too, however I'm still on the fence. In fact I called the manager back but she was unavailable so her assistant took the call. Unfortunately I caved when I heard her voice....I remember she was kind hearted when we met at the interview and she kind of convinced me to accept the offer. However I gave myself an out when she started asking for numbers and I threw some out (up to $40k/yr) - she said it's obvious I have experience in the field and she would talk to her about bumping it to my target (from $35k to 40k) but I think it's too much of a stretch. Normally it takes a year to reach that level. The manager called back and I let it go to voicemail again. Last time that happened it took me 24 hours to call back (I'm stalling while trying to make a decision). This second time you could tell the manager was worn out, end of the business day I guess...maybe fed up of this cat and mouse game? Oh well..it gives me tonight to think things over.

My dad repeated that if I leave the state, his 2nd car is staying put so again, I can't count on it. However he did say that if I wanted to use to travel temporarily to the next state over and look for housing in case I was considering the position anyway, as long as it's after scheduled maintenance (I made an appointment next week), it's OK. But again I can't move to the new job with that car. So I will have to dip into my retirement savings account and buy one myself. His solution? Decline the job offer and go in person to every local potential employer without an appointment and basically shove my resume in their faces asking for an interview on the spot. We discussed this in the past and I told him everything is online now, employers don't want drop ins and unsolicited phone calls, but he didn't care. He just wants me to find a job asap and suggests I put in a big effort to stay local. The bonus is I could continue to use his 2nd car. That would be great except I can't find work locally in my field which is why I'm looking outside the state. He thinks it's ridiculous to have to travel so far but he's also someone who drives very little while I like driving long distances. I did make a mistake by admitting to him that I love the job hunting process (contacting employers, driving to interviews, etc.) and not so much the time when an offer comes and I have to make difficult decisions. He then countered that yeah, when you get up at 10am and can watch TV until midnight (exaggerations), no wonder you love the job hunting process (vs. actually committing to a job with a tough schedule).

Now in the meantime I found another potential job and it has the same bad schedule: work two 12 hour day shifts, 24 hours rest and then two 12 hour night shifts. However after today's phone interview, I learned that the training period would be 9-12 weeks rather than only 4 weeks at the job that's the subject of this thread. The training period would be during regular business hours. The salary was said to be in the low forties but it requires much further relocation.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 11-08-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Not only would I not take this job, but I don’t think you really want it either. Otherwise you would be getting your own house in order, so to speak. Regardless, I don’t like the idea of how you’re basically wasting everyone’s time and resources on a position you aren’t even going to keep.

Figure out what you want,then take the necessary steps to make it happen.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM

359 posts, read 302,217 times
I don't know what to do. The manager left a voice mail towards the end of the business day and likely wants to discuss the salary. I'm flattered the employer made a job offer and am concerned that my references were contacted (don't want to overuse them) but I have too many doubts to confidently accept an offer at this time which I suspect will be around $35-38K/yr max for this one and maybe up to $43k/yr for the second company I just started interviewing at.

Right now I'm leading towards declining the offer due to the harsh schedule, the fact they admit it's stressful and fast paced plus would need me to start in about 2 weeks which doesn't give me enough time to liquidate my storage unit and secure both transportation and housing. And then what? Get up at 4:30am every day (would need a while to find a really quiet room for rent where the person/people I'm sharing with go to bed very early) and on night shifts, find a place that is extra quiet during the day. Accept the offer to get out of my parents' house but quit after the month of training is done? Yeah I can see that as a waste of time not to mention money for the temporary relocation. But what if I decline the current offer and I don't get a better one for another 3 months (plus 3 more months of my parents' complaints how it's taking so long?)
It's tough to make the right decision.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:13 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
.... I'm also going to say that "working on a farm" is not an easy gig. It's back-breaking, grueling work.. So if you just like looking at the animals, that's certainly not the job for you either.
Might actually be the best thing for the OP. Five AM milking. Shoveling manure all day. Baling hay in summer. It will put little things like a banging door into perspective.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:33 AM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
Decline the job!! I can't believe you would accept a job offer when you plan to go for the training and then quit. Do you not care that hiring and training you will cost the company money? They are willing to invest in you and you plan to use them for your immediate wants and needs? I don't believe you would last a week at that job. You'll never get up in time and do anything productive. The only reason you are even looking for a job is to get your parents off your back. You sound spoiled, lazy, entitled, immature, with no ambition or drive and will make a terrible employee.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It is completely ridiculous that you are considering taking a job because you feel guilty about the receptionist being nice to you and your references being "inconvenienced." You are worried about all the wrong things, which is going to get you into more financial trouble and waste more people's time.

You should get an hourly job in your current city that isn't public-facing, like a warehouse order picker, etc, deal with your storage items, etc, save up for a car, and THEN move.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 AM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
OP - indecisiveness is your worst enemy, as was amply demonstrated in your other thread (noisy work environment). If you continue to waffle like that, you will have a very hard time in life.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Sounds like you obviously don't like to many things about this job so why even consider it????

Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
Re storage. If you really have not used something in it in a year you are supposed to discard it as the saying goes.

As for having a roommate on a different shift and he making noise -- deeply and correctly inserted earplugs are a wonder and a little or large fan.

It sounds like you may have too much anxiety for this job.
There are call centers in nearly every city. You could work at one and save at parents and then leave to a better job. Always help out A LOT at parents even if you are working. You will have less guilt about being there.

Love yourself and if you feel this job will give you too much anxiety don't do it. Some here say be an adult toughen up. But you know in your heart what you are mentally capable of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment