Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM

359 posts, read 302,427 times

Advertisements

CatzPaw, I understand your advice and agree with most of what you said except the part about sticking it out if there's a banging door, which combined with other noise sources was causing me pain. No job is worth keeping in those conditions.

Anyway today was city C's video interview for a position more closely related to my field of study with more varied tasks and seems more valuable for my resume. Schedule is just as tough as city B's opportunity, that is 2 x 12 hrs day shifts, 24 hrs off, 2 x 12 night shifts, 4 days off and repeat. While the workload seems heavy, I got the sense that the role involves more walking around (they even mentioned going to the kitchen or gym at night during breaks whereas city B's job seems like it's so busy you don't even have time for breaks). No surprise, HR asked me whether I was currently working and when I would be available. I said no (true) to whether I'm currently employed but I did reveal that I was going to start a temporary 1 month job (I mentioned it was a contract) in late Nov until late Dec. That would be if I accept city B's offer. City C's HR then looked at my resume and emphasized that since they are offering 2-3 months of training, then they expect the employee to stay long term. In other words, no job hopping. And the short term internship (it was a fixed length) and 2 month recent work experience didn't look good to her but it is what it is.

What I didn't tell her is that it's actually the 1 month of training for a "permanent position" that I would need to resign with 2 weeks notice (that's what the contract says) and then, provided I am ready to make a long distance move by then, I could start by early January. I feel bad about planning to burn a bridge at city B but I could also just say you know what? I tried and it turned out to be a bad fit so I'd rather tell them after 1 month than continue wasting their time and work there 2-3 months, then quit.

Dad asked how city C's interview went and when I told him that I have a problem in that city B's response deadline is Nov 16 while city C may only get back to me with a decision next week. He wants me to accept something, not stay unemployed in city A and understandably so. What if I accept city B's offer now and then city C (better career opportunity but slightly less salary and very far from my storage unit) comes back to me next week with an offer? I must admit it would be nice to have the next 6 weeks off (working strictly temp/small time gigs, organizing my storage unit, studying for the exams) and not have to feel obligated to city B, also freeing myself up to traveling (at a leisurely pace) to city C to see if the work environment is a good fit and then be able to start by mid Dec-early Jan. I have 3 days left to let city B know my decision (and return the signed paperwork).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
No surprise, HR asked me whether I was currently working and when I would be available. I said no (true) to whether I'm currently employed but I did reveal that I was going to start a temporary 1 month job (I mentioned it was a contract) in late Nov until late Dec. That would be if I accept city B's offer. City C's HR then looked at my resume and emphasized that since they are offering 2-3 months of training, then they expect the employee to stay long term. In other words, no job hopping. And the short term internship (it was a fixed length) and 2 month recent work experience didn't look good to her but it is what it is.

What I didn't tell her is that it's actually the 1 month of training for a "permanent position" that I would need to resign with 2 weeks notice (that's what the contract says) and then, provided I am ready to make a long distance move by then, I could start by early January. I feel bad about planning to burn a bridge at city B but I could also just say you know what? I tried and it turned out to be a bad fit so I'd rather tell them after 1 month than continue wasting their time and work there 2-3 months, then quit.

Dad asked how city C's interview went and when I told him that I have a problem in that city B's response deadline is Nov 16 while city C may only get back to me with a decision next week. He wants me to accept something, not stay unemployed in city A and understandably so. What if I accept city B's offer now and then city C (better career opportunity but slightly less salary and very far from my storage unit) comes back to me next week with an offer?

"No job hopping" – what you are considering is not job hopping. It's merely fraudulent. So you blow off City B in a month and how about when things don't work out at City C? You're already planning to blow that popstand as well after you clean up on their training? Where's your integrity? You don't "feel bad" about this nuttiness at all.

If they hire you, "City B" expects you to stay "long-term" as well. No company goes through this all this mess so they can wave happily at you at the end of one month when you toddle away having taken advantage of them.

Stay home until January. Work some temp gigs. Interview to get gone somewhere in January at a job you intend to honor. Get used to Mom and Dad gritching and "gossiping." Get your act together and really consider how stupid this plan is. You have a problem, all right, and it's not conflicting deadlines to decide which company you might deign to grace with your (temporary) presence. City B and City C don't need or deserve to suffer your Crazytown nonsense.

At the very least, forget City B and wait out a decision from City C. Look up the word "integrity" and quit this elaborate childish game playing.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 634,620 times
OP did you answer the ad for the job your dad found in your home town? I can't imagine moving to a new place and having to adjust my sleep schedule from day to night every few days. As it stands now you have mornings where you don't get up until after 9AM. You would be fired from a 9-5 job for tardiness, and you think you can handle a work week with two 12 hour days, and two 12 hour nights? You'd be miserable trying to work that schedule.

If an applicant told me during a job interview that they are taking temp job for one month, I'd promptly end the interview and continue my search to fill the position. I'd tell you to get in touch with me after you have finished your temp job. You are wasting everyone's time, including your own.

The best advice we can give you is to find work in your home town, study for your exam, and earn a certificate that will land you better jobs. Save money to buy a car, get your belonging out of storage, and use the furniture in your new place. You are just muddying the waters by looking for jobs that require relocation. So for now, stop dreaming about locations B, C, and D, and focus on being able to support yourself, and living independently. If you stay on track, and don't over-think it, you can do it.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:32 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
I must admit it would be nice to have the next 6 weeks off (working strictly temp/small time gigs, organizing my storage unit, studying for the exams) and not have to feel obligated to city B, also freeing myself up to traveling (at a leisurely pace) to city C to see if the work environment is a good fit and then be able to start by mid Dec-early Jan. I have 3 days left to let city B know my decision (and return the signed paperwork).

I've lost track, but now you're thinking of blowing off B to accept C, until you can travel to visit C and then decide you don't like that work environment. Do you have an interview with D and E lined up for December and January?

Forget C. Forget your current location -- it's just providing a safe fall back so you can always have a reason to "fail." Accept B. Stay at least a full year. Work the odd hours because it will be good for you. Move out on your own and get an apartment in B. Sell your stuff or have it shipped. But get out of your parent's house, take that job, and do what all of us have done.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
OP did you answer the ad for the job your dad found in your home town? I can't imagine moving to a new place and having to adjust my sleep schedule from day to night every few days. As it stands now you have mornings where you don't get up until after 9AM. You would be fired from a 9-5 job for tardiness, and you think you can handle a work week with two 12 hour days, and two 12 hour nights? You'd be miserable trying to work that schedule.

If an applicant told me during a job interview that they are taking temp job for one month, I'd promptly end the interview and continue my search to fill the position. I'd tell you to get in touch with me after you have finished your temp job. You are wasting everyone's time, including your own.

The best advice we can give you is to find work in your home town, study for your exam, and earn a certificate that will land you better jobs. Save money to buy a car, get your belonging out of storage, and use the furniture in your new place. You are just muddying the waters by looking for jobs that require relocation. So for now, stop dreaming about locations B, C, and D, and focus on being able to support yourself, and living independently. If you stay on track, and don't over-think it, you can do it.
Yes, this is the best advice. There is nothing wrong with making B, C, and D long-term goals, but they should not be immediate goals. The immediate goal should be certification and a job in the hometown, city A. Based on the OP’s posting history, I just can’t see her handling a day-to-night rotating schedule. Heck, I am a good worker but I don’t think I could handle it. There have to be opportunities out there that don’t have these ridiculous shift options with rotating shifts. It’s no wonder people can’t cut it. People can adapt to night shift if they need to, but I don’t know if you can adapt to no set shift like that. I’ve never heard of anything like this before. I’ve heard of jobs where you have to do 3 to 4 12-hour night shifts, but again- it is all night shifts and none of this silly rotation.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

"No job hopping" – what you are considering is not job hopping. It's merely fraudulent.

At the very least, forget City B and wait out a decision from City C. Look up the word "integrity" and quit this elaborate childish game playing.

Imagine, OP, if you stopped spending so much energy figuring out how to lie to so many people and instead focused on getting a legitimate job where you are and solving the current problems you have rather than creating new problems in another city.

Stop fantasizing.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 634,620 times
Quote:
CatzPaw, I understand your advice and agree with most of what you said except the part about sticking it out if there's a banging door, which combined with other noise sources was causing me pain. No job is worth keeping in those conditions.

Anyway today was city C's video interview for a position more closely related to my field of study with more varied tasks and seems more valuable for my resume. Schedule is just as tough as city B's opportunity, that is 2 x 12 hrs day shifts, 24 hrs off, 2 x 12 night shifts, 4 days off and repeat. While the workload seems heavy, I got the sense that the role involves more walking around (they even mentioned going to the kitchen or gym at night during breaks whereas city B's job seems like it's so busy you don't even have time for breaks). No surprise, HR asked me whether I was currently working and when I would be available. I said no (true) to whether I'm currently employed but I did reveal that I was going to start a temporary 1 month job (I mentioned it was a contract) in late Nov until late Dec. That would be if I accept city B's offer. City C's HR then looked at my resume and emphasized that since they are offering 2-3 months of training, then they expect the employee to stay long term. In other words, no job hopping. And the short term internship (it was a fixed length) and 2 month recent work experience didn't look good to her but it is what it is.

Dad asked how city C's interview went and when I told him that I have a problem in that city B's response deadline is Nov 16 while city C may only get back to me with a decision next week. He wants me to accept something, not stay unemployed in city A and understandably so. What if I accept city B's offer now and then city C (better career opportunity but slightly less salary and very far from my storage unit) comes back to me next week with an offer? I must admit it would be nice to have the next 6 weeks off (working strictly temp/small time gigs, organizing my storage unit, studying for the exams) and not have to feel obligated to city B, also freeing myself up to traveling (at a leisurely pace) to city C to see if the work environment is a good fit and then be able to start by mid Dec-early Jan. I have 3 days left to let city B know my decision (and return the signed paperwork).
I don't know if you are aware of this, but you have a compulsive disorder. For you, it is not about getting the job, it is about going through the motions of trying to find work. The thrill of the hunt. Read the paragraph you wrote directly above this response, you are in a frenzy, trying to balance and prioritize a series of events that will never take place. You are misleading the job interviewers, through lies and deception. You might even be applying for jobs where you lack the proper skill set, because it is part of the thrill. You can't focus on going after one job, that would be quite boring for you. If you do take a job, you will find fault with it, and repeat the compulsive cycle. Meds. and cognitive therapy can help. You need to deal with this disorder, as it is robbing you of any true sense of accomplishment, and preventing you from living in the moment.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,157,130 times
I feel sorry for your prospective employers, as well as the other job candidates who may be robbed of an opportunity because you plan to take a job and quit after the training is over. I agree with the posts above that you should take steps to address your mental illness and also study up on the concept of "work" and "jobs."

Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM

359 posts, read 302,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Not yet. Last week he urged me to apply and actually followed up today to ask if I did. I told him no. Why not? Because those certification exams are mandatory and I haven't done them. It says they're looking for someone right away, the job also involves responsibilities I'm not able to do yet (flying to other cities), so I don't want to waste HR's time. Dad says I should just send my application and mention how I expect to complete the exams/be ready to travel the next time they're hiring / in the new year and expect them to keep me at the top of the candidate's list. Then dad went on to harp (again) about how I went back to school to learn a certain field, that job matches the title, why did I go back to school if I want to avoid working in that particular job, was it a waste and a mistake, etc. (basically he was angry and very negative, not what I need right now).

He still thinks accepting city B's offer is a mistake, especially without the use of his 2nd car. There is public transit but it will take 3 times as long, is expensive compared to where I am now, I'll have to do a fair amount of walking and leave the house I''ll be renting a room from (still have to find it) before 7am during training and before 5am afterwards. I don't know how I'll be able to find lodging where people are quiet after 8pm so I can sleep until 4am to start the early shifts much less during the day time. Dad says I can use his 2nd car to go house/room hunting next week but clearly he's not happy about the time and money spent when as I told him, it will be temporary at most. But staying with mom and dad more than another week or so is not an option. I need to fly the coop to give them the rest they need as a retired couple.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Not yet. Last week he urged me to apply and actually followed up today to ask if I did. I told him no. Why not? Because those certification exams are mandatory and I haven't done them. It says they're looking for someone right away, the job also involves responsibilities I'm not able to do yet (flying to other cities), so I don't want to waste HR's time. Dad says I should just send my application and mention how I expect to complete the exams/be ready to travel the next time they're hiring / in the new year and expect them to keep me at the top of the candidate's list. Then dad went on to harp (again) about how I went back to school to learn a certain field, that job matches the title, why did I go back to school if I want to avoid working in that particular job, was it a waste and a mistake, etc. (basically he was angry and very negative, not what I need right now).

He still thinks accepting city B's offer is a mistake, especially without the use of his 2nd car. There is public transit but it will take 3 times as long, is expensive compared to where I am now, I'll have to do a fair amount of walking and leave the house I''ll be renting a room from (still have to find it) before 7am during training and before 5am afterwards. I don't know how I'll be able to find lodging where people are quiet after 8pm so I can sleep until 4am to start the early shifts much less during the day time. Dad says I can use his 2nd car to go house/room hunting next week but clearly he's not happy about the time and money spent when as I told him, it will be temporary at most. But staying with mom and dad more than another week or so is not an option. I need to fly the coop to give them the rest they need as a retired couple.
Dad is right. What you call negativity is just reality. It IS what you need right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment