Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

95 posts, read 89,361 times

Advertisements

Having a degree in criminal justice(stupid yes I know) I wanted to do something other than being a manager for a security company. Tried to get on with my police department but I'm not good enough for some reason. So next I tried jailor. Got the job, trained and promptly quit within a month. I was getting the same pay exactly as I do now as a site manager for a private security company to do a million times more work. The atmosphere was brutal and I'm just not cut out for it. They give out raises so in long term I screwed myself since my current job pays 16/hour and will probably never go higher. I just am either too lazy or not intelligent enough to suceed in this world sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
Having a degree in criminal justice(stupid yes I know) I wanted to do something other than being a manager for a security company. Tried to get on with my police department but I'm not good enough for some reason. So next I tried jailor. Got the job, trained and promptly quit within a month. I was getting the same pay exactly as I do now as a site manager for a private security company to do a million times more work. The atmosphere was brutal and I'm just not cut out for it. They give out raises so in long term I screwed myself since my current job pays 16/hour and will probably never go higher. I just am either too lazy or not intelligent enough to suceed in this world sadly.
competition for police officer jobs is fierce, sometimes there are hundreds of applicants for one job. If it's work that you really want to do you need to apply in other cities and counties. In California most police departments want you to have completed the basic academy, there are community colleges that offer that course, or you can find a large agency that has their own academy and seek work there.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM

95 posts, read 89,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
competition for police officer jobs is fierce, sometimes there are hundreds of applicants for one job. If it's work that you really want to do you need to apply in other cities and counties. In California most police departments want you to have completed the basic academy, there are community colleges that offer that course, or you can find a large agency that has their own academy and seek work there.
I have tried to get on with houston police department's academy as well as some surrounding smaller cities. I think my being in security for too long has screwed me. I have done many types of jobs but more security than the others. Thanks for the kind words and advice I really need it as I feel lost.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
Quote:
its not for everybody at least u know that

Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I have tried to get on with houston police department's academy as well as some surrounding smaller cities. I think my being in security for too long has screwed me. I have done many types of jobs but more security than the others. Thanks for the kind words and advice I really need it as I feel lost.
Keep your chin up, there's always a way if you want it badly enough. Practice the physical agility test at home until you can pass it easily, there are dozens of youtube videos with police agility tests. Also, don't forget to apply for the state police. Another way to get your foot in the door is to volunteer to work for a local agency, or find out if they have a police reserve program. If nothing else, make friends with a local cop, take him (or her) out to lunch and chat him up, he might know of a job opening in another town, or if nothing else he can discuss the hiring process with you and maybe give you some insight into why you weren't selected - it might be something as simple as lacking good interview skills and that's easily fixable

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
OP. you have never worked or been in a prison, have you? It's not a place that you work at while you are trying to decide on your next career move.

What are your interests? These must be matched by your capabilities. For example, you might have an interest in fire fighting but if you can't pass the test for the requirements, you are not going to be able to become one.

Did you choose a college based on your interests; did you pick one that would challenge you or did just go to one because it was the thing to do and you got a full scholarship? If your college was to 'easy' for you and you already knew everything, you could have transferred to another college, even if you had to pay your way there. Now you have a BA in general studies, what skills did you acquire that you can use in jobs -do you write well, can you communicate clearly, etc. Think outside of the box.

A good career counselor might help you narrow down the field as to job /career choices.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
OP. you have never worked or been in a prison, have you? It's not a place that you work at while you are trying to decide on your next career move.

What are your interests? These must be matched by your capabilities. For example, you might have an interest in fire fighting but if you can't pass the test for the requirements, you are not going to be able to become one.

Did you choose a college based on your interests; did you pick one that would challenge you or did just go to one because it was the thing to do and you got a full scholarship? If your college was to 'easy' for you and you already knew everything, you could have transferred to another college, even if you had to pay your way there. Now you have a BA in general studies, what skills did you acquire that you can use in jobs -do you write well, can you communicate clearly, etc. Think outside of the box.

A good career counselor might help you narrow down the field as to job /career choices.
I can write very well and while I do have a stutter, I am otherwise a good speaker if I make noises to limber up--at least I know people who are worse speakers than I am. I had a lot of course work in sociology and psychology, so I am reasonably knowledgable in those things.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
What were you planning to do with a degree in general studies and humanities?

How about taking some criminal justice courses as you explore the possibility of becoming a corrections officer?

The better question is, what is s/he going to do with criminal justice studies if s/he doesn't score competitively on the civil service exam? --Especially since everything anyone needs to know for those jobs is taught via on-the-job training.

The OP'd be better off with a degree in general studies and humanities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment