Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:21 AM

46 posts, read 34,934 times

Advertisements

I don't. I was laid off once and they didn't give me any notice.

What I normally do is tell my new employer that I would like to provide two weeks' notice for my present job, then I quit my present job immediately and take a two week vacation.

The last time I did it, my supervisor became very angry because no one was readily available to fill my position. I just started laughing at him, then walked out the door, and headed off on a nice road trip to Vegas.

It hasn't hurt me. I never use supervisors as references anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,307,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
Did you get any severance?

Quote:
What I normally do is tell my new employer that I would like to provide two weeks' notice for my present job, then I quit my present job immediately and take a two week vacation.

The last time I did it, my supervisor became very angry because no one was readily available to fill my position. I just started laughing at him, then walked out the door, and headed off on a nice road trip to Vegas.

Your call. As you said - it's never come back and haunt you. However, IMO, this is also like saying you don't need seatbelts because you've never been in an accident. The point is, you have little control over who may be interviewing you down the road. You may not give your supervisors name as references, but in many industries, people do talk. Especially if you are in a more senior position.

To say that employers don't give you notice so you don't have to seems a bit "tit for tat" or childish. In the end, it's your reputation on the line. While that may leave them in a bind in the short run, they'll eventually find a replacement. However, your reputation stays with you.

And just to offer my anecdotal evidence to counter yours. I had someone who accepted an offer for a job, but then never showed (zero communication). Sometime later, a colleague was talking to a recruiter about a position. And ironically, this guys name came up. Colleague said no thanks and told the recruiter what had happened. The recruiter dropped him from all opportunities. Now, this may not be the exact same situation - but it still comes down to one's reputation.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
The world is too small for that. One time I gave 1.5 weeks of notice (this was maybe 7 years ago). The company owners were so mad and they threatened to hack my reputation is I didn’t contractnof them for a few weeks till they were able to backfill my projects. I ended up spending the first month of my new job working in the evenings. I suspect they held a grudge - I never got pings from them as they moved on to new roles.

All was not lost, most of my other colleagues from that time had no problems with me. And they have all wanted to happily refer me to roles in their company and we can reprise working together. Even ran into that former boss recently and he had nothing but positive things to say.

Over the years I kept running into people who knew them. Who knows what happened behind the scenes. They didn’t keep in touch with many from those days. While I have seen about 5 of those colleagues at least yearly since them, no one has seen the founders.

This incident didn’t have an impact on my career as far as I know. I’ve gotten most jobs I’ve interviewed for, but you never know.

I have found the world is way too small and you should tread carefully.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,799,670 times
So the reason you're telling us this is?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So the reason you're telling us this is?
I think he likes showing off his misanthropic nature. It’s weird, but there are all sorts of people out there.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 PM

359 posts, read 302,521 times
If you don't use supervisors for references, what do you fill in when you apply for a job online and it asks for past employers' info including supervisor name, phone #, email?

Also no notice may seem satisfying but that's a sure way to burn bridges.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:44 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
Quote:

Karma is gonna kick your ass one day. I want to be there.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Oh, look who it is again. Mr. Congeniality.

I actually walked off a job once. I was treated so badly by a shift manager that the owners were angry at him. They asked me to stay, and I explained why I could not. They accepted that, and we retained a cordial relationship.

OP, what you are doing is not only treating your former employer badly, but lying to your new one. If that works for you, it's your decision, but my guess is, someday you will be found out, and it won't be pretty.

You seem quite determined to burn every bridge you have ever encountered.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,373,351 times
Does the employer deserve a two-week notice? I have been in situations where a workplace did not deserve the luxury of a two-week notice. The only reason I would support it is if your work experience/field does not make you a competitive applicant when you start applying for a new job. Also, if the place treated you well, you should show some respect and give notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment