Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,412,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you're a man, don't be mad that you can't find a good woman to marry you. And if you decide 10 years from now your priorities change, don't be mad at others your age who have it made.
Lol, that has nothing to do with anything.

If a woman won't be with you just because you don't want to climb the corporate ladder, then she's not the right woman to be with anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM

33 posts, read 20,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Lol, that has nothing to do with anything.

If a woman won't be with you just because you don't want to climb the corporate ladder, then she's not the right woman to be with anyway.

I don't think its so much about "climbing the corporate ladder" as much as it is, being able to carry certain responsibilities. Unless OP intends on only supporting himself, and doesn't expect a woman to give him children, then maybe he can be alright with staying at that level.
But typically, most men get older, want families, etc. Unless your job is providing you with a certain level of income that allows you to comfortably provide for a child, and save for retirement, that will be a problem for many women.
If kids aren't in your future, then hey, do you.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
I want to mention that many people create, on their own, amazing incomes or at least self supporting incomes from non traditional situations. Maybe they have a talent or something that they are into. My mom and dad had a friend that used to live at the beach. She created her own clothing line, similar to Ocean Pacific. Her line was named after her son. It became a regional favorite. Not massive amounts of money, although they did own three homes at the beach, with one of the homes acting as the work space, shop, and a retail location for the brand.

I met a girl that works in the travel industry. She started blogging about it, then built a social media presence all about travel. Not only was she able to get low cost travel, she writes about the trips or places she had been to, used Instagram to pose pictures of the places, and she has built a nice income from these different social media tools.

A guy that I went to school with was heavily involved with restoring and racing cars. He built his own online magazine. He is now a regular at the car shows, SEMA, and everything else car related. He walked away from his 9 to 5 to focus on his magazine and has never looked back.

So many other ways to make money out there.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:38 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,069,554 times
To each their own.

One of the happiest people I know went from - in her words - "making a good living to living a good life". Small apartment, old car, and she works gigs in data analysis, perhaps 6 months out of the year. The rest is spent sailing, diving and surfing in all sorts of interesting locales, getting engaged in local politics and breaking the hearts of a succession of men that even I can see are handsome.

I know a guy who builds houses for 6 months of the year, and divides the rest between building guitars and crewing on sailboat deliveries.

It's a trade-off. But yeah - I do sometimes think of those two when I settle in for a week at the spreadsheet factory.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,582,704 times
Just make sure you have income somewhere because no one is going to give out their money to you. As long as you are ok with your current state and the way how your life is down the road, then you are perfectly fine.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 5,007,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
People's definitions of "career" and "job" seem to be all over the map.
What's the difference between 'job' and 'career'?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,812,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A career is something you build. It's a specific field that you stay in with the goal of learning more about and developing yourself. A career is about depth and growth. A job is not. Much of it is a mindset - if there are two plumbers, one can consider him/herself to have a job and the other can consider it a career. The one who considers it a career is looking to learn and develop their skills. The other is looking to put in a days work.

IMO, a career is more fulfilling.

Best of luck.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
A job is what you do, a career is what you are.

I had plenty of jobs. Worked at a Stop N Go, worked at a muffler shop, delivered papers for the LA times, even managed a Window Cleaning service. Had several second jobs along the way. Worked at a Yogurt shop part time before and after work. Worked retail after my 9 to 5 at both Target and Sears at different times. Those were all jobs and not something that would sustain me for a lifetime.

Not to say that others have not made it in those kind of jobs. I have a close friend that started at McDonalds when he was 16. He spent 35 years working for McDonalds. When he left he was the general manager for the area, and part owner of the business. For many years he was the general manager for 11 locations. They sold 9 of them and he was running two locations for the past 4 years. Him and his partner sold the last two locations and my friend is taking some time off.

My brother in law worked as a Police Officer. That is what he was. It was his career. Many people I have known around here are career military. My current Director of my department is retired Navy. He was a career military man. He has also built a nice career in Facilities Management.

I see a job as something that you may have for a time, until you get a better job. In our area we have people all the time, on the local Facebook Page, asking if anyone is hiring. They don't seem to care where, just want to know who is hiring. I always ask the same question: What do you do. It turns out for many that they have not planned that far along. They will do anything. I don't understand that type of lifestyle. Over the years I have learned that I am very good at some things, able to hold my own in many things, and not that great at a lot of other things. I prefer to focus on those things I am really good at.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,349,541 times
Be careful what you wish for !

Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 PM

17,619 posts, read 13,410,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
Grow up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment