Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 09:37 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times

Advertisements

My work life is over. I retired in 2010.
If I had it to do over I would not work for anyone but myself. I was successful enough as a salesman - I was top salesman at 3M in 1987 - but working for other people and different companies was NOTHING compared to the satisfaction I get from being self employed.
I established myself as a manufacturer's rep and represented about 8 different manufacturers. I worked with my wife and we worked hard. When the Chinese ate up our fabric industry I only needed to work another 5 years, and the closest thing I could arrange to being self employed was driving an 18 wheeler. So I did that for five years, 750,000 miles and made $300,000.

I got absolutely nothing out of working for the 3 corporations on my resume. Looking back, I would have been happier mowing yards or rebuilding bathrooms than I was wearing a suit and flying all over hell's half acre.

Maybe these comments will help someone out there looking. I have been fortunate and accumulated enough real estate to keep myself busy and keep the books balanced. Should have concentrated on that all along....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 10:28 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
It depends on the person of course. I think self-motivated and high energy people like yourself would do very well owning and running a business successfully.

Myself, I don't think I would ever have been successful owning my own business. I've never actually minded working for others and preferred mid-sized to large corporations. I'm kind of lazy so prefer to have all the details taken care of such as insurance and other benefits. I'm also someone that preferred the relative security of a steady paycheck and the structure of a defined 40 hour work week. I just don't have that mindset to be able to persevere during unsteady times. As I get nearer to retiring, I don't regret my work history and have been pretty happy with what I've done both financially and professionally.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
My work life is over. I retired in 2010.
If I had it to do over I would not work for anyone but myself. I was successful enough as a salesman - I was top salesman at 3M in 1987 - but working for other people and different companies was NOTHING compared to the satisfaction I get from being self employed.
I established myself as a manufacturer's rep and represented about 8 different manufacturers. I worked with my wife and we worked hard. When the Chinese ate up our fabric industry I only needed to work another 5 years, and the closest thing I could arrange to being self employed was driving an 18 wheeler. So I did that for five years, 750,000 miles and made $300,000.

I got absolutely nothing out of working for the 3 corporations on my resume. Looking back, I would have been happier mowing yards or rebuilding bathrooms than I was wearing a suit and flying all over hell's half acre.

Maybe these comments will help someone out there looking. I have been fortunate and accumulated enough real estate to keep myself busy and keep the books balanced. Should have concentrated on that all along....
OP, you got nothing out of working your jobs? Didn't you get wages and benefits? That's what you signed up for.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
M

Not that you should dis those jobs, they did provide you with enough cash to buy real estate. It's very likely you would have been happier, but really in all hindsight, you fed the family, kept it housed and provided other ways

I really do consider you successful.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
While I enjoyed working for my self as a business owner for 16 years, it was long hours, paying for my own medical insurance, hard to get away for a vacation, and eventually the 2008 recession came and my customers began to drop like flies. Since then I have been working as a manager for an employer of 2,000 with paid medical, dental and vision, lots of paid holidays, sick leave and vacation, matching 401K and a pension. The pay is more than I ever made from the business, working only 40 hours a week. I can't say that I was always happier while self employed, there were pros and cons.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
I'd rather have someone else supply my medical insurance, vacation, sick leave, etc.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:27 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,817 times
Not quite the same scenario, but this is why I'm doing consulting work at the moment. I work directly for an agency, but get assignments to work with different clients.

I'm amid a career change, so getting to work with a variety of businesses and industries will be valuable. But I also get bored easily doing the same work day-in and day-out, and don't like playing the waiting game to move up on anyone else's terms but my own. With the consulting gig, I get to work on a variety of different projects that will keep me engaged and keep me learning and building new skills. Whenever I worked a typical FTE in-house job, those people never cared if I showed an interest in another area of the business or wished to advance. If keeping me in the role that I was currently in was of most benefit to them, then that's where I'd remain. Consideration of my career goals was always moot, and it often left me feeling burnt. Now I'm being paid to care only about the project at hand. Once I'm done with the project, I wash my hands of the organization and move on to something new.

One day eventually I'll seek out the security and stability of a more routine, in-house job. But if you're a more energized person who has what it takes to run a business or do consulting work, and enjoys the regular shuffling around of responsibilities, then there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
As someone who closed their business due to life and death health issues at 42 years old I completely disagree. When I closed my business I had nothing - no insurance, no vacation, no FMLA, no sick time, no paycheck. What did working 6-7 days a week get me? Multiple ER bills for thousands of dollars. Nope. I plan on working for someone else the rest of my life. I'm happy to have a steady paycheck, insurance, sick time, vacation, FMLA, holidays, 40ish hours not 80+. I'm good.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:40 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
I was self-employed for 90% of my work life. It was hard work, low-paying for many years and perfect for me.
No way would I ever encourage anyone to be self-employed, it's a calling.
I and my partner were very successful but it took years.

Statistics show that most self-employed people are not successful which is not surprising, so many things to know and be good at besides the thing you are actually trying to do.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
If I had it to do over I would not work for anyone but myself.

You can't do that.

As an employee, you work for 1 boss.
As an entrepreneur, you work for multiple bosses - each client/customer is your boss.

The only people who work for themselves are the independently wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment