Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times

Advertisements

I've worked every Black Friday for the last 25 years. It's always nice and quiet so I get a lot of work done.

Don't feel too sorry for me though. I get all Bank Holidays off in addition to five weeks of vacation and 10 PTO days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't quoting you. I quoted the OP.

Look on a calendar. Black Friday isn't an official holiday. Some companies may consider it a holiday, but many don't. What's next? Christmas Eve? New Year's Eve? Day after Christmas? Day after New Year's Day? Day before Easter? Day after Easter?
LOl well my company considers Christmas Eve a paid holiday too.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Canada. When I was working at a bank we hired a girl from New Brunswick who was astonished to find that Good Friday is NOT a holiday here.

She didn't last long. She got canned for cashing one of her own checks off of a Canadian account and then not doing the conversion from Canadian to US dollars, and then she was a no-show.
I was initially shocked to hear that we didn't get Yum Kippur and one other Jewish holiday off the years following elementary school. It turned out, getting those days off was the exception than the norm! Christmas is the only holiday that's "standard" in the US school systems (although it sort of doesn't given how heavily commercialized it is).

Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 AM

513 posts, read 737,329 times
Default I tried to schedule a ride with local public transit...

... on the Friday after Thanksgiving and was told "Oh, no, we don't run on Black Friday." I checked the manual and it does not list the day after T-G as an official off day for them--T-G is a holiday, but not the day after.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It is a holiday for some.
Yup

Having Black Friday off really depends on the company

Some will give you that day off ( paid ) while other you are required to work or pretty much call in sick or take a day off unpaid.

Barring something like retail, hospital, or police officiers I never will understand that mindset of business to be open and working on Black friday it keeps up employee retention giving them days off to refresh them their mind and spend time with families but whatever I hope whoever complains about not having black friday finds a job that's let them have Black Friday off

Old 11-28-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Friday after Thanksgiving isn't a holiday. No need for a day off. If you get it off, consider yourself lucky.

Why on earth would you still be bloated on Friday? A turkey isn't a single serving. I don't understand why people eat until they're sickly for 2 days. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean one needs to eat everything in sight.
Because people rather not work and do more things not involving work or looking at a computer screen when most of us spend the majority of our time working.

Its called work life balance

Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
This generalization is ridiculous. Should all non-emergency services just be shut down on that day? Should ships remain undocked? Should all TV and radio just shut down?
most people who want holidays off should not get into those kinds of job in the first place

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Exactly!!
I’m a former UAW member and have friends that are current and retired UAW members, don’t blame the union for the high cost of a car when the CEO of these automakers along with the board members are making millions in salaries and bonuses. The UAW workers fought hard for what they have. I’m sick and tired of people complaining about unions and not complaining about the people’s at the top who are running these companies and their salaries, no it’s always the union workers who get all the blame for higher cost of cars ar anything else that was made by union workers. It took years to get to were unions are today, but the CEO ‘s along with their board members have always had their rather large salaries that are in the millions of dollars. The unions made the middle class but people tend to forget that part.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’m a former UAW member and have friends that are current and retired UAW members, don’t blame the union for the high cost of a car when the CEO of these automakers along with the board members are making millions in salaries and bonuses. The UAW workers fought hard for what they have. I’m sick and tired of people complaining about unions and not complaining about the people’s at the top who are running these companies and their salaries, no it’s always the union workers who get all the blame for higher cost of cars ar anything else that was made by union workers. It took years to get to were unions are today, but the CEO ‘s along with their board members have always had their rather large salaries that are in the millions of dollars. The unions made the middle class but people tend to forget that part.
I am a dedicated UAW member, I have been in the trenches for years fighting the good fight. I would highly recommend anyone to organize and join a labor union. Labor costs represent a very small percentage of the cost of a new car but everyone always blames the union. A poster on this very thread already blamed the UAW for the high cost of a new vehicle.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Friday is NOT a holiday.

If you want tons of time off, move to France
I'm with the European countries! In America, you work your rear off, pay at least half of it to state and federal government, and you're left with....? Sixty hours is a normal work week now, stress, cancer, shallow family relationships due to no time spent together with parents. The modern 'American Dream' can kiss my patootie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment