Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 AM

115 posts, read 82,666 times

Advertisements

So I spoke to some people in another forum for help and didnt really get far so when I found this area it seemed like a better place to get others input. Im sure there are many similar stories so I will try to keep my backstory brief. Ill be 33 yrs old this month and Im at a point career wise where I feel I have truly hit a dead end. I have a BA in Graphic Design I completed when I was 22 and I have used maybe 1% of what I learned in 11 years. I deem that choice of program as my biggest life mistake as it has resulted in nothing but defaulted loans and training that is not applicable in many places.

Fast forward a few years, I eventually met my wife who graduated from the same school and also has no use for her BS degree. Her plan was to move back to FL after finishing school and when the time came I went as with. My hope was that my degree status would hold more weight down here as the area where we live has a big problem with under-educated people. Needless to say, that didnt really work out either. Ive been in FL for 9 years this year and Ive had 7 different jobs since relocating here at 23 years old. I dont make any more money than I would have if I stayed in CT, the cost of living is the only thing making it kinda work. My wife has worked for just 3 companies since coming here, each time things got sweeter for her and she now makes roughly $15k more per year than I do. As the man of the house I think it goes without saying that Im heavily bothered by this. She works as a manager in the housing industry here and she has excelled with some of the top companies in the city. Were married with a 3 year old, renting our home, making ends meet but saving nothing due to my lack of salary.

Currently, I still work in a sales related role as an advisor for a local trade school and I have hit the glass roof salary wise. Ive done this sort of work for the last 7 years for 4 different companies. My current employer has reminded my more than once that growth is not an option in my department unless I am willing to go back to a pure sales role. I did that for several years prior and I have no interest in being on the front line of the sales force, and having my job constantly in jeopardy again. So here I am now, Ive been applying my ass off with no results. I am desperate to make the salary that I feel I deserve and that I feel matches this stage of my life. I am also desperate to get as far away from my current job role and industry as I possibly can. According to my indeed profile Ive applied to 34 different companies across the last 60 days and not even 1 has responded. I had a couple friends hook me up with interviews for jobs in different industries, both of which salary offerings were disrespectfully low. I feel that I do have worthwhile experience and skills that can be useful but I cant seem to get the attention of anyone willing to at least give me an opportunity to present myself. I am educated, I have a solid resume, and I generally know how to search and apply for jobs yet I cant make this happen. I even contemplated hiring a career coach that could offer me some guidance on what it is Im not seeing that may be a keeping me away from employers. However, my finances are soo tight that I cant afford the fee for the sessions. What does it take today to get people to take sales, and client service experience seriously toward positions outside of the typical sales foot soldier? All I want is real job that I dont have to hide when people ask me what I do for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
First you have to know what kind of job you want to go after, which I think you do. Second, keep applying for job that with your education qualification. Third, continue with the job you currently have, and do a good job regardless if you don't feel like a way out at the moment. On top of that, you may want to consider some local, state, or federal job because you may even get call. Look at different job and see if any of the job you can take up with and don't have a problem with it because you might end up of getting an interview and land the job.

Keep searching and keep looking, don't give up, you will get there. Have confidence in yourself.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
First you have to know what kind of job you want to go after, which I think you do. Second, keep applying for job that with your education qualification. Third, continue with the job you currently have, and do a good job regardless if you don't feel like a way out at the moment. On top of that, you may want to consider some local, state, or federal job because you may even get call. Look at different job and see if any of the job you can take up with and don't have a problem with it because you might end up of getting an interview and land the job.

Keep searching and keep looking, don't give up, you will get there. Have confidence in yourself.
I appreciate the kind words. Like you mentioned, I have tried to dedicate more effort toward doing as much as I can at my current job. I can honestly say ive had more success here than any other position Ive held. The only issue is, there is absolutely no more money to be made here. The president of the company actually just let us all know on Friday that despite all of our great work this year, no bonuses will be given this year. Very frustrating as myself and my department have had our best year to date this year in 2017. For me that is truly the last straw as far as looking to get out. I would love to get into state/federal jobs as I have heard nothing but great things. I just dont feel that my decades worth of sales and client service experience, and creative arts degree will be something those organizations can use. At this point I am willing to do anything that can get my salary to a respectable level to provide the life my family and I deserve. As long as Im not responsible for selling anything or involved in any kind of metric based environment.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I don't have any idea of what your skills are based on your description. What are you good at?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't have any idea of what your skills are based on your description. What are you good at?
I have roughly 12 years of professional experience ranging from Retail Sales, Commissioned sales, Client service and most recently in recruiting. From that I have also worked on special marketing projects and other events. I have worked for some known names as well. My goal is to find a role that focuses on the Marketing, marketing strategies/research, corporate level customer service. So far ive looked into job titles such as business developer, product representative, field representative, and area manager to name some. I think my background paired with my creative degree which focuses on the creative aspects, would be a marketable pairing for many employers but so far ive been proven wrong.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM

A few things, please don't take my feedback harshly.

1. After 12 years of work experience, your degree is irrelevant. You haven't done much in the field of graphic design, and most of the things you learned are probably out of date. If you wanted to do design, you'd have some direct experience where design was part of your core responsibility.
2. You are casting your net really wide. Right now your only career goal is to get more money.
3. While you gave me a list of roles above, you still haven't spelled out any of the skills you have learned so far. You have journeyman experience that doesn't particularly translate into more mid-career roles. It looks like you have jumped around in a lot of unrelated roles over the years. You are going to need to start with entry levels roles until you have more direct experience. (I work corporate marketing, have hired for various roles and have worked in most of the functional areas of marketing).

P.S. Marketing is metrics driven these days.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:

1. After 12 years of work experience, your degree is irrelevant. You haven't done much in the field of graphic design, and most of the things you learned are probably out of date. If you wanted to do design, you'd have some direct experience where design was part of your core responsibility.
2. You are casting your net really wide. Right now your only career goal is to get more money.
3. While you gave me a list of roles above, you still haven't spelled out any of the skills you have learned so far. You have journeyman experience that doesn't particularly translate into more mid-career roles. It looks like you have jumped around in a lot of unrelated roles over the years. You are going to need to start with entry levels roles until you have more direct experience. (I work corporate marketing, have hired for various roles and have worked in most of the functional areas of marketing).

I appreciate the criticism as it is the only way I will figure out what im doing wrong so no hard feelings here. I guess I should be more specific about what im looking to do, I left some things out as not to go overboard with my story. I agree my degree as far as anything in design goes is worth next to nothing and I dont plan on doing any sort of design job, honestly at this point I dont have what it takes. Part of my career goal is to find more money, I personally dont see anything wrong with that, but it is not 100% of my motivation. As Im sure you know, folks with my level of experience with sales related and direct metric related roles can be easily burnt out by the constant unattainable goal setting, and the "what have you done for me lately" attitude. I want to get into more of a role that focuses less on being the person on the phone at the desk in front of the customer, and more focused on the role that analyzes how to get the customers in the door so to speak. I feel that 12 years spent on the front line has afforded me with knowledge enough to handle that, does it not? Yes I have jumped around some, all for different reasons but all the roles have been lateral moves at the same level. I feel that at my age and experience level, I have much more to offer than and that I am worth more than what these entry level positions have afforded me. Are you saying that I am totally off base in thinking that my knowledge and experience is worthless for marketing? Im worried that I may have dug myself into a career hole that I wont be able to get out of.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Quote:

I have to agree on one point here. You may have to start looking at entry level job. I think there are some state or Federal job that simply require High School diploma as minimum education requirement, or maybe city job. You just have to keep searching and find one that would at least get you started.

I know you might feel like you have no chance, but like I said earlier, don't give up in yourself, keep trying. If you need to do some extra work for entry level, be it, is a way to start. Sometime at work, even when I don't need to do the extra work, I still do it, simply because I don't want others to feel like I am a lazy employee and someone who they cannot depend on.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcyprojects View Post
I appreciate the criticism as it is the only way I will figure out what im doing wrong so no hard feelings here. I guess I should be more specific about what im looking to do, I left some things out as not to go overboard with my story. I agree my degree as far as anything in design goes is worth next to nothing and I dont plan on doing any sort of design job, honestly at this point I dont have what it takes. Part of my career goal is to find more money, I personally dont see anything wrong with that, but it is not 100% of my motivation. As Im sure you know, folks with my level of experience with sales related and direct metric related roles can be easily burnt out by the constant unattainable goal setting, and the "what have you done for me lately" attitude. I want to get into more of a role that focuses less on being the person on the phone at the desk in front of the customer, and more focused on the role that analyzes how to get the customers in the door so to speak. I feel that 12 years spent on the front line has afforded me with knowledge enough to handle that, does it not? Yes I have jumped around some, all for different reasons but all the roles have been lateral moves at the same level. I feel that at my age and experience level, I have much more to offer than and that I am worth more than what these entry level positions have afforded me. Are you saying that I am totally off base in thinking that my knowledge and experience is worthless for marketing? Im worried that I may have dug myself into a career hole that I wont be able to get out of.
I have a friend who recently switched from Sales to Marketing. She majored in marketing. But the company she landed at she was a special fit. She spent the last 8 years of her career selling to the exact customer the company was targeting. She had direct industry experience that is really hard to replicate and gain. She knew how the customer was structured, their purchasing process and the ins and outs of the products they buy.

Based on what you have described, you would not offer unique perspective to a future employer. While you have sales experience, it is all over a lot of different industries and you don’t have much specialization.

If I were to hire you for my marketing team you’d have to learn both marketing and the industry. If you hope to be a mid-career employee you need to have experience that allows you to make an impact immediately, while you are ramping. I do not see that with the skill set you have described.

If you want these employers to think about bringing you on, you need to be able to - at the bare minimum - be able to sell how your unrelated experience will be able to make an impact on their business in month 1. And that is just to get your foot in the door.

You need to focus your job hunt. You can’t just apply to any and every job that sounds like it may meet your salary requirements.

So the question I have do you, what skills have you learned over the last 12 years that can help me? And my business be successful. You need to be able to spell this out.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I have a friend who recently switched from Sales to Marketing. She majored in marketing. But the company she landed at she was a special fit. She spent the last 8 years of her career selling to the exact customer the company was targeting. She had direct industry experience that is really hard to replicate and gain. She knew how the customer was structured, their purchasing process and the ins and outs of the products they buy.

Based on what you have described, you would not offer unique perspective to a future employer. While you have sales experience, it is all over a lot of different industries and you don’t have much specialization.

If I were to hire you for my marketing team you’d have to learn both marketing and the industry. If you hope to be a mid-career employee you need to have experience that allows you to make an impact immediately, while you are ramping. I do not see that with the skill set you have described.

If you want these employers to think about bringing you on, you need to be able to - at the bare minimum - be able to sell how your unrelated experience will be able to make an impact on their business in month 1. And that is just to get your foot in the door.

You need to focus your job hunt. You can’t just apply to any and every job that sounds like it may meet your salary requirements.

So the question I have do you, what skills have you learned over the last 12 years that can help me? And my business be successful. You need to be able to spell this out.

I understand what you are saying here. I have tried to be mindful of the applications that I have completed with respect to the details of the job. I guess my mention of my displeasure with my salary at this point may have been somewhat misread. Money is certainly important to me but trust me, i'm not looking to become a millionaire overnight. If an opportunity doing real marketing popped up tomorrow for my same salary, Id take it without a thought. I apply for jobs that post positions that I could see myself doing successfully with my experience. Many of them have no salary information posted anyway.

My main question for you here is with everything you have mentioned, how does one in my position even get to the point of selling myself to an employer considering the kind of work I want to do? I think that I could at least conduct a solid interview if given the chance. Are there any resume key words that might help? Any job areas that might actually be open to the idea giving someone new an opportunity to prove themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment