Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

work at a national park, one where you can live on site in the national park. this lets you live in natural beauty, and you get paid for being in a vacation spot. if you like being out in the middle of nowhere it's a great fit. I am the same way, the more remote the area, the happier I am.

the "job" you get depends on your technical skills and interests, they are the ticket that get you to live there. There are jobs that are seasonal, which allow you to move around to different beautiful areas. for instance I've known wildlife biologists who work for half the year living in the national park, and don't work the rest of the year. They pick different beautiful parks and go all over they love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No, I'm saying it takes more than making a list and "couch" research on jobs from the internet...

People need to go out an explore jobs in person to get a feel of it. Every job is different from day to day, location, employer...

Someone may hate IT, another loves IT, but that is based on their own experience with it.
Believe it or not, I actually agree with you on this. That's why I think it's critical to do some exploring in your career early on.

Not everyone is born out of their mother's womb knowing that they want to be an accountant, engineer, or artist. There are a lot of us out here who are trying to figure it out as we go, and we've had minimal guidance along the way. So it's up to us to do some soul searching and try on a few jobs before we decide "this is the one".

I spent the last 10 years in three different industries and in a multitude of roles and I'm just now getting to a point where I feel like I know a bit more about what I want to do. I know that I really like problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical type jobs. I don't think I have much interest in managing others, though I'm keen on being a professional mentor of sorts. So that's where my focus has been in my most recent job searches.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why do I get the feeling that all the people who answer "Work is not supposed to be fun, it's all about making $" are the same people who make my life miserable at work.
Here's the thing. I think the "follow your passion" advice is a bit misplaced. I learned that when I worked as a caddy. Lots of men are passionate about golf. They like everything about it, the game, the dress, the course, being outside, etc...

If you want to work in the golf industry, you kind of have 3 options.

You work as a Greenskeeper. This actually pays pretty well at the nicer courses, but requires a four year degree in Turf Sciences. Also, waking up super early so you can get as much work done as possible before golfers get out.

You work as a Club or Teaching Professional. You have to be pretty good to qualify, a single digit handicapper, and qualify on 36 holes. But then, you have to find work...Assistant Pro's at nice courses make ok money, but not mind boggling. Its like being an Athletic Trainer. Some make a lot of money, some pull three jobs and work at Planet Fitness. Again, you need to get to be a head pro, or "Director of Golf," to make the real money.

Otherwise, I saw a lot of guys that were part time Titleist or Callaway Reps that set up on the driving Range all day selling clubs because "they loved golf and wanted to work in the business." Not my idea of fun.

Work is not supposed to be fun, but you shouldn't dread going in. Work isn't supposed to be fun, but you can expect to be treated alright by your boss and coworkers. Work isn't supposed to be fun, but you should find something that plays to your strengths/talents/abilities. So find something that fits with that, that will allow you to make an income, and follow that path.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's driving me nuts.
<trim long tale of WOE>
You know what kills most squirrels? INDECISION.
I'll give you my usual advice. Continue with what you are doing, do the best you can, and behave as nicely as possible. Meanwhile work at building a personal business. One that does NOT involve a big inventory and investment nor a big monthly buy of stuff you cannot use yourself if it does not sell. That way you become the boss and only have to put up with yourself.
Think about where technology is leading us, especially in the retail world. Figure out how we will all shop in the future? Brick and mortar stores are in decline, but people still want to touch and feel before they buy and they will buy from someone they trust. Think of a mall without walls.
You don't want to have to buy $5000 worth of stretch pants, but surely there is a better way than just online/email ordering of everything?
There are plenty of multilevel scams out there but there has to be at least one that avoids the big traps. You want to avoid any that feature a single product line or a big investment or have a million distributors. Look for something that has access to multiple product lines.
Of course, if you have a talent or a great idea follow up on that. But it is better by far to follow a proven business plan. It will take 2-3 years in either case.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Quote:
How do I make a decision of what I want to do in life?
If you do not know what you want to do, how would we (complete strangers with absolutely no clue as to your likes/dislikes, skills and capabilities) be able to tell you?? We are not mind-readers.
<>
That is a great post. Search out personal inventory. Here's the first site I found:
Personal Inventory: A Good Starting Point for Building Skills

Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Work is not supposed to be fun, but you shouldn't dread going in. Work isn't supposed to be fun, but you can expect to be treated alright by your boss and coworkers. Work isn't supposed to be fun, but you should find something that plays to your strengths/talents/abilities. So find something that fits with that, that will allow you to make an income, and follow that path.
Fair assessment.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:13 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why do I get the feeling that all the people who answer "Work is not supposed to be fun, it's all about making $" are the same people who make my life miserable at work.
Could be because they are serious about their work and want the JOB done, and money should be the motivation for both of you.

FUN is for after work on your own time, not that you can't enjoy work if you find something you like doing.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's driving me nuts.

I currently work as a tech support advisor and they pay well. $13.50 an hour. Well I was placed on a 60 day performance probation for not meeting my customer satisfaction score. So I have to meet my goal for 2 out of 3 months to pass

Well. Let's just say I don't want to get out of bed every morning dreading the day and get an anxiety attack and praying I don't get a negative customer review. And constantly worrying about playing the numbers game at my job. I want to wake up in the morning and look forward to the rest of my day. I want to get up and enjoy life and have fun. A life without enjoyment isn't a life worth living. At that point I considered quitting my job.

I am 27, and will be 28 in 6 weeks or so. I have no idea what I really want to do, and if what I really want to do is a good decision. I want to take this seriously because every decision I made up to this point felt like the worst mistake I ever made. I didn't finish college, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be so miserable in a call center.

I want to be a lot of things. I want to go back to college but I lost financial aid and didn't pass many classes. I wanted to be a game developer, professional gamer, freelance artist/writer, pet groomer, veterinarian. There's so many things I want to do that I'm afraid of picking one and getting bored with it and moving on. I want to pick something that's fun to do, and would make enough money to pay bills.

How do I make a decision of what I want to do in life? I want to live life happy. Not constantly miserable.
I find it interesting that OP has not returned to the thread with a new post. In spite of many good responses. So, I will add this. There is a book that was written to answer the very question that OP, Cynthetik, asks. The name of the book is "What Color Is Your Parachute?". You can go to the library and check it out if you can't afford your own copy. The author is Dick Bolles, and the book is a classic, and a giant in the job search field.

Oh, yeah - by the way - the book is a classic because Bolles was the first to tell people how to find a job you ENJOY! And his whole philosophy revolves around finding work you enjoy. So, "Who am I?" Figure out what you enjoy, and you will know who you are.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
We can't tell you what to do. You need to follow your own path.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Coding bootcamp? You could be a game developer, and an artist, and have fun and make plenty of money to pay the bills. You could also groom dogs on the side. When I was 27 I felt like I was too old to make a major change, but 23 years later I realize I was so young and had so much time! In my case I wish I'd gone to law school.

I'd look into coding/game design/UX design schools both online and in your area in person, and research different career opportunities. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment