Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 AM

26 posts, read 16,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
By your comments, it sounds like you don't want to go. I have worked for two companies that tanked due to money issues, and when it was time they had no problem cutting my job BECAUSE they didn't have the funds to pay me. I think you will kick yourself if you don't get out - but you are still making excuses how "my boss leaves me alone." I can tell you to take the job that was offered but I already know you will stay - and always be worried when the IRS will come for your boss and freeze his bank account.
I will probably leave. I'm just trying to get outsider's perspective on the situation to make sure I'm not missing something; its hard when you are on the inside. And, no, I don't want to leave a job ive had this long that pays well and supports my family. I'm the only wage earner at the moment though so a bad decision equals financial disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
After 8-years, it sounds like you have a pretty good insight into what is going on, and should probably “trust your gut.” (particularly since you have a family depending on you). The only thing the people on CD can tell you is “move if you think the company is going to fail,” but, they can’t tell you if your instincts are right.

Since you don’t really want to leave your position, but, have concerns and a competitive offer in hand, it is time to have a serious conversation with the owner. Tell him how much you enjoy working for the company and him, but, that you are concerned that ongoing tax problems will negatively impact him, the company and your job/family. Ask him what assurance he can provide that your concerns are not valid. (It is also time to see if you are able to negotiate a similarly favorable, autonomous situation with the new company).

From what you’ve said, he will likely deny that there is a problem, so ask him how much truth there is to the current tax deficiency situation. Think out several other questions that will give you the information to better make this decision – and then, act on real information, rather than out of fear. What do you have to lose by having the discussion (versus not having it)? (BTW, I had a similar situation many years ago and decided to move – 6-months later, the company I left filed for bankruptcy.)

Old 12-09-2017, 07:31 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Take that job. You are fortunate to see potential trouble coming. And it is. With expenses high and tax issues especially its inevitable. I know it's hard to leave a place after years-I left a job of 11 years due to my company being sold and reorganized. People had to re interview for their jobs, and this was after layoffs and cuts. Change is stressful, but relief knowing you got out of harm way tops that easily.

We are often taught to remain positive, and look on the bright side and hope for the best, often ignoring signs things are going sideways. Don't be this person. You clearly have acknowledged trouble beginning. Most Companies will yell "All is well, everyone back to work" even as the building burns. Remember your own security is important.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
After 8-years, it sounds like you have a pretty good insight into what is going on, and should probably “trust your gut.†(particularly since you have a family depending on you). The only thing the people on CD can tell you is “move if you think the company is going to fail,†but, they can’t tell you if your instincts are right.

Since you don’t really want to leave your position, but, have concerns and a competitive offer in hand, it is time to have a serious conversation with the owner. Tell him how much you enjoy working for the company and him, but, that you are concerned that ongoing tax problems will negatively impact him, the company and your job/family. Ask him what assurance he can provide that your concerns are not valid. (It is also time to see if you are able to negotiate a similarly favorable, autonomous situation with the new company).

From what you’ve said, he will likely deny that there is a problem, so ask him how much truth there is to the current tax deficiency situation. Think out several other questions that will give you the information to better make this decision – and then, act on real information, rather than out of fear. What do you have to lose by having the discussion (versus not having it)? (BTW, I had a similar situation many years ago and decided to move – 6-months later, the company I left filed for bankruptcy.)

Thank you for the insight. I did have that discussion already and was told not to worry about it, we just need to "tighten up." I was told I needed to change some billing practices, which I thought was a deflection. There weren't really any substantive solutions other than "make more money and pay more money to the IRS."

Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Take that job. You are fortunate to see potential trouble coming. And it is. With expenses high and tax issues especially its inevitable. I know it's hard to leave a place after years-I left a job of 11 years due to my company being sold and reorganized. People had to re interview for their jobs, and this was after layoffs and cuts. Change is stressful, but relief knowing you got out of harm way tops that easily.

We are often taught to remain positive, and look on the bright side and hope for the best, often ignoring signs things are going sideways. Don't be this person. You clearly have acknowledged trouble beginning. Most Companies will yell "All is well, everyone back to work" even as the building burns. Remember your own security is important.
I agree. Its what I've been told so far. Of course there is a vested interest in keeping me and I realize that. I know we live very close to the edge financially due to the expenses and owner's personal spending habits. He has said he's going to change but I'm not sure I believe that.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:56 AM

376 posts, read 321,199 times
As others have said, I reiterate: Leave now.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It appears to be unanimous. This is not going to get better, and your boss has made clear that he will never take the financial disaster he is creating seriously until it is too late.

Get out while you have a job waiting for you.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I don't doubt your story and agree with the others-you should leave. I'm just trying to get some perspective on the situation.

How do you know he has all these problems? Did you see the paperwork or going by something someone told you?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I don't doubt your story and agree with the others-you should leave. I'm just trying to get some perspective on the situation.

How do you know he has all these problems? Did you see the paperwork or going by something someone told you?
He admitted to most of it and the rest came from a former employee that had access to business finances.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:31 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
As a business owner who pays taxes on time, GET OUT NOW. Taxes and employees are paid first, business owner should always be last. Don't work for a business owner who doesn't get this. As a business owner, you take on the risk for hopefully a reward. Your employee put in a good days work for pay. That is why they aren't busines owners, they don't want the risk.

Went back and read where you say owner pulls out alot of money monthly. Living beyond his mean. He isn't going to change. I've seen this several times, not once were they able to make a come back.

Take the new job, give your notice MONDAY.

Agree with keeping you paystubs, check with SS and see if they are getting paid.

I know of a 20+ year business here that didn't pay all taxes, fica, etc. for years. Owner was taking the money and putting it in a bank in his home country. He eventually got closed down and ran to home country. His employees got burned. Long time ones, since SS wasn't paid they have a hole in work history. Not credited with SS as even working. So when they retire, their SS is affected.

Never go down with a sinking ship. Getting another job WHILE you have one is much easier than trying to get a job when you are unemployed.

In my younger years, I went down with a couple of sinking ships, both of these I didn't know ahead of time. I was unemployed for a period of time. That hurt my paying into SS, career etc.

I'm fine now but had times of stress regarding money that I didn't need to suffer through. I can't do anything about the past, maybe it was a life lesson I needed to learn.

Hope this helps. Sending good luck your way.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 12-09-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment