Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 AM

260 posts, read 427,921 times

Advertisements

So I already have a job, but I feel really incompetent at it and my manager is super patient in explaining it to me. During the day I am completely fine and I have no problems, but when I close my shift there is a long line of procedures I must do and turn it in to accounting before I leave. In the morning I find out I've screwed up one way or another. The manager is getting a little tired that I have been continually messing up but I show her that I really want to learn and try to do better. I take notes and sometimes things add up and match, sometimes they don't.

I don't think I'm in danger of losing my job but I just feel awful when I think I did something right and it turns out I didn't. I apologize if this sounds vague, but the real question I have is how do stupid and incompetent people keep a job? I have had a pretty severe learning disability my whole life, but I absolutely do not use this as an excuse to do my job right. It's just very frustrating and I am berating myself all the time because of it. Something else to consider, I guess, is that I have had at least 3 concussions which really affects my memory. So if someone tells me something that I need to remember, unless they (or I) write it down I cannot remember it. I guess this is advice to myself to always keep a planner on hand (lol).

So I suppose my question is, how do dumb and incompetent people find and keep jobs? Do they job hop a lot? How do they stay "on the ball" and how do they work through their incompetency? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 08:28 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,667 times
Usually by doing the bare minimum to keep the job. Sometimes certain roles don't require a superstar, and any good hiring manager will assess their needs and hire appropriately. There's no reason to pay "superstar" wages for someone whom you need to sweep the floors or do simple data entry.

The only time I've generally seen someone let go is due to personality conflicts or a major screw-up or a lot of smaller screw-ups combined. I work with lots of people who I consider bright enough, but not stars in the traditional sense of intellectualism or academia.

Your ability to succeed depends on many factors. For instance, how long have you been in the role? If just for a few months, then it's expected that you make mistakes. How flexible or easy-going is your manager? If they are a stickler for process, and you keep neglecting that process, then you might have some issues. What kinds of mistakes are you making? If you are taking notes, are you sure that you're taking good enough notes? If it's a straightforward process with clear cut steps, then you need to write them in detail and follow them going forward. If you can't follow basic instructions that are written out, then that is a much bigger problem than making mistakes here and there as you learn.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,253 times
OP, don't tell yourself you are stupid. You may not know all of your potentials. You may be stronger than you think. From what you wrote, you are lucky to have a manager who is being patient and putting up with you. If you want to keep your job, try to think of ways how to improve yourself. Think positive, tell yourself "I'm smart, I can do anything I want to..." Each day start to work with writing down a "things to do list", mark down priorities and do them first. When you finish each task, put a check mark on it. Focus and be mindful. Pay attention to each moment (this second, this minute, this hour) at a time. Don't let your mind wandering outside of your job. Don't worry too much about the "future". If you do well at this moment, you will have next moment or tomorrow. If you don't do well right now, you won't have good results for later.

When you feel anxious, have a few deep breaths and get back to work.

You had an interview, you got the job, the hiring manager must have seen something good in you that you did not see in yourself (based on you said you were "stupid"). Get rid of the negative thoughts in your head.

Again, if you want to keep your job, do the things above. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM

260 posts, read 427,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
OP, don't tell yourself you are stupid. You may not know all of your potentials. You may be stronger than you think. From what you wrote, you are lucky to have a manager who is being patient and putting up with you. If you want to keep your job, try to think of ways how to improve yourself. Think positive, tell yourself "I'm smart, I can do anything I want to..." Each day start to work with writing down a "things to do list", mark down priorities and do them first. When you finish each task, put a check mark on it. Focus and be mindful. Pay attention to each moment (this second, this minute, this hour) at a time. Don't let your mind wandering outside of your job. Don't worry too much about the "future". If you do well at this moment, you will have next moment or tomorrow. If you don't do well right now, you won't have good results for later.

When you feel anxious, have a few deep breaths and get back to work.

You had an interview, you got the job, the hiring manager must have seen something good in you that you did not see in yourself (based on you said you were "stupid"). Get rid of the negative thoughts in your head.

Again, if you want to keep your job, do the things above. Good luck!
Exactly, that sounds like really sound advice! As I wrote this it occured to me that I really need a notebook/planner that I can keep all my thoughts and instructions in. I think that would really help me out. I kind of have a "man's brain" in that I tell myself "oh, I'll just remember it" and of course I don't lol. That way when I am told something I can write it down and I won't have to catch it later! Also I am very thankful my manager is so patient with me. I'm going to get my work checked today by an experienced employee and I am showing them I am genuinely concerned about doing better. Thank you for your kind advice! (and left-handed's too!)

Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Fake it 'til you make it.

Even if you don't have confidence, act like you do. And become good at selling yourself. And in the meantime try to better yourself by learning new things.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
I'm in IT. Most people we hire are pretty far from stupid, though some do slip through from time to time.

Where I work, all the dumb ones are contractors. They were all hired from the same contracting firm and all come from the same city in the same foreign country. I don't think that's a coincidence...someone's got some sweetheart deal somewhere.

Unfortunately we're the ones who have to deal with their stupidity and incompetence on a day to day basis.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
One word.. Connections.

Thats all the workplace is today. Who you know be it a relative or friend. After 10 years in the workplace Ive come the conclusion unequivocally that hiring managers don't want employees, they want FRIENDS or rear kissers to worship them. . And Companies will gladly dance around these IDIOTS until the end of the time or company falls flat on its face regardless of how inept and unqualified they are.

I think educated, qualified people with a great track record who can bring a lot of value to the company will instantly be seen as a threat. Moron hiring managers don't want these people around because a good candidate can expose them for the unqualified idiots they are

Bottom line, don't bother being a superstar employee.. Because the truth is nobody gives a s*** anyways. You're just doing yourself a disservice. You're busting your rear for NO REASON at all.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-14-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM

973 posts, read 914,685 times
OP, I don't think you're stupid. Based on what you wrote, I can tell that you can write coherently which is something that not even all college students can do these days. You were born with something that you had no choice in receiving. Despite your memory issues, you were able to succeed in life to the point of getting through a job interview and getting a job. Just keep kicking ass!

But to answer your question, a lot of it is connections, nepotism, or incompetence from managers/leadership. I've known people who were bright, hard working, diligent, and contributed greatly to the company, but were let go instead of other coworkers who shouldn't have even been offered a job in the first place.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
So I already have a job, but I feel really incompetent at it and my manager is super patient in explaining it to me. During the day I am completely fine and I have no problems, but when I close my shift there is a long line of procedures I must do and turn it in to accounting before I leave. In the morning I find out I've screwed up one way or another. The manager is getting a little tired that I have been continually messing up but I show her that I really want to learn and try to do better. I take notes and sometimes things add up and match, sometimes they don't.

I don't think I'm in danger of losing my job but I just feel awful when I think I did something right and it turns out I didn't. I apologize if this sounds vague, but the real question I have is how do stupid and incompetent people keep a job? I have had a pretty severe learning disability my whole life, but I absolutely do not use this as an excuse to do my job right. It's just very frustrating and I am berating myself all the time because of it. Something else to consider, I guess, is that I have had at least 3 concussions which really affects my memory. So if someone tells me something that I need to remember, unless they (or I) write it down I cannot remember it. I guess this is advice to myself to always keep a planner on hand (lol).

So I suppose my question is, how do dumb and incompetent people find and keep jobs? Do they job hop a lot? How do they stay "on the ball" and how do they work through their incompetency? Thank you!
First, I would say I am/have been in your shoes. 90% of people think they are superstars and that they are smarter than most of the people they work with and that they do a much better job.

I will admit ... I'm not really cut out for my job. Other people can do a much better job of being anal, and producing a better product.

The second thing I will say is that you speak English well and write intelligibly. That is not to be taken for granted. A lot of people in this country don't have tremendous grasp of the English language.

Maybe start looking at things you will enjoy more or will be better at.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:25 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I used to create procedure manuals for all my tasks--a list of steps to complete a project. That way, I didn't have to remember every little bit. Bosses were really impressed--and it made training my replacement a lot easier; once I master something, I lose interest and want to move on to new challenges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment