Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,102 times

Advertisements

I read/heard that it isn't appropriate to ask until the job is offered. Why? I want to know the salary before anything is offered so I don't waste time. Wasting time and gas and to find out the job I want pays so low! $15. It is quite funny the job title and duties seem higher than entry level but the pay is entry level.

I hate this job searching process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 05:10 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
What is appropriate and not appropriate is personal and subjective. But it really comes down to the job and how in-demand you are. If you are in a field where the supply is low, you can certainly walk in and have the first sentence come out as "how much?". But if you are fighting a few hundred others for a position, it may not be the best tactic to use.

In terms of wasting YOUR time - do keep in mind that in this particular transaction, the employer is the customer (even if they posted the ad). I think many people overlook this since 99% of our interactions with companies is as a customer. But this is one time where the roles are reversed. It's not very often that you call up a plumber and tell them how much you are willing to pay...

Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
I disagree that the employer is the customer. In this case, both the employer and the employee are the customer. If job advertisement does not list a salary range and the applicant goes through three interviews only to find out at that point that the salary is so low that it’s not even negotiable, that’s time that the employee wasted on taking time off work and gas and the employer wasted on interviewing a candiate who was never viable.

I know at my last job, they had some positions where they would call people and when offering the interview, they’d flat out say “This is what we can offer, and if you aren’t able to take it, don’t waste your time interviewing.” That’s because we had several people over the years who spent weeks if not months trying to negotiate better salaries and it never got approved.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Of course!

The entire reason people work is for salary, so to pretend that it is not important is madness!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM

268 posts, read 282,793 times
I wouldn't ask salary until further in the process, that way at least in the beginning it doesn't seem like all you care about is the pay.

This reminds me of that girl who went viral because after being offered a second interview with a company, she asked the employer what the salary was. They sent her response and said they were rescinding her second interview and said salary shouldn't be her top concern.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM

334 posts, read 221,625 times
About 99.9% of the time, the company does a phone interview with me and asks my salary range. That way, it is out in the open and they know and I know if we are on the same page or not.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I disagree that the employer is the customer. In this case, both the employer and the employee are the customer. If job advertisement does not list a salary range and the applicant goes through three interviews only to find out at that point that the salary is so low that it’s not even negotiable, that’s time that the employee wasted on taking time off work and gas and the employer wasted on interviewing a candiate who was never viable.

I know at my last job, they had some positions where they would call people and when offering the interview, they’d flat out say “This is what we can offer, and if you aren’t able to take it, don’t waste your time interviewing.” That’s because we had several people over the years who spent weeks if not months trying to negotiate better salaries and it never got approved.
You can argue that by saying the employee can always provide a salary range before wasting their own time. Or the employer can ask for salary requirement to ensure they only bring in folks they can afford. Of course, no one likes that either.

At the end of the day, both sides are jockeying for leverage. But you need to price yourself accordingly. You can't offer 20% below market and wonder why you're not getting good candidates. Or simply feel you deserve X and get frustrate when every job you interview for is way below that.

But I think the biggest key here is that many job seekers act as they're simply shopping for jobs rather than selling their skills. And complain why the employer don't accommodate them more. Again, taking that "I'm the customer" approach they're so used to - and to you point, forget that the employers are also customers.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
That's why I like working with 3rd party recruiters. The good ones Mod cut. will ask you for your minimum requirements and give you the salary of the hiring company.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-20-2017 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Racist comment.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatar View Post
I read/heard that it isn't appropriate to ask until the job is offered. Why? I want to know the salary before anything is offered so I don't waste time. Wasting time and gas and to find out the job I want pays so low! $15. It is quite funny the job title and duties seem higher than entry level but the pay is entry level.

I hate this job searching process.
Whoever told you that is an insecure wuss.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:10 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
I asked during a recent phone interview with the hiring manager whether my salary expectations (I provided a range in the online app) fell within their price range. What's the point with proceeding beyond that if they can't afford to pay me what I'm asking for. She confirmed that it did and it didn't cost me any opportunities down the road. In fact, they called me in for an in-person interview. We later mutually decided that, though they would have loved to have me as part of their team, that I was likely overqualified for this particular role and would be bored very early on. But she forwarded my resume on to her director and asked me to keep in touch for future roles on the team that may better align with my experience and skill set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment