Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
they don't appreciate what I did for them.

One thing that draws me to programming is that it is a cottage industry I can take anywhere. I can work two hours, take a 1 hour break to walk/jog and grab a coffee and snack, work another 2 hours, do a 30 minute power nap, work another 2 hours, ect. I could travel places, and when I need money, rustle something up over the internet and refuel my bank account. That is very appealing to me. As much as I want a stable income, outside of work, I like flexibility and variety and a chance to explore things instead of getting stuck in a rut.
first, they are paying you for the work, why would the "appreciate" you personally? if they do, fine, if not, why are you holding it against them? you don't do social work to satisfy your need to be "appreciated"

second, a freelance programmer does not make much money if he works some, goes jogging, takes a nap, eats a snack, drinks coffee, and comes back for to work a little more. and no job is going to hire you to do that either

you are better off as a pharmacy tech where you pass out pills under someone's watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 04:27 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
Quote:
One thing that draws me to programming is that it is a cottage industry I can take anywhere. I can work two hours, take a 1 hour break to walk/jog and grab a coffee and snack, work another 2 hours, do a 30 minute power nap, work another 2 hours, ect.
It's obvious that you have not worked in the software industry. For jobs that pay well, schedules are absurdly tight and 10- or 12-hr days are common. The stress level is also very high.

You *really* need to get a reality check on the fields that you want to get into. Because right now, you don't know what you don't know.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:36 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Quote:

One thing that draws me to programming is that it is a cottage industry I can take anywhere. I can work two hours, take a 1 hour break to walk/jog and grab a coffee and snack, work another 2 hours, do a 30 minute power nap, work another 2 hours, ect. I could travel places, and when I need money, rustle something up over the internet and refuel my bank account. That is very appealing to me. As much as I want a stable income, outside of work, I like flexibility and variety and a chance to explore things instead of getting stuck in a rut.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
It's obvious that you have not worked in the software industry. For jobs that pay well, schedules are absurdly tight and 10- or 12-hr days are common. The stress level is also very high.

You *really* need to get a reality check on the fields that you want to get into. Because right now, you don't know what you don't know.
Exactly. I'm really surprised the "teach myself a programming language, work 2 hours, retire early" urban legends are still alive. Yoy have to be some kind of genius with some hot niche skill (and real life experience!) to pull off something like that.

For thousands of other programmers it's a demanding and stressful rat race.

Sorry OP but it looks as if you just watched some TV show and now think that's really how some professions work. Get more real life information.

Based on what you've mentioned so far I honestly don't believe IT is the right field for you.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:25 PM

254 posts, read 458,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Not true.
At some start ups, they won't care. But you'll need more than GitHub.
But at MOST tech companies, mosts of the programmer will have degrees in CS, math, physics, etc.
If you have contributed meaningfully to a few large projects and have very interesting repos it's basically a portfolio. If you are hiring a database developer and the guy has contributed to postgres, MySQL, or redis, you have a huge bulletin advantage.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'd say they are merely trying to sell you something. Even the various traits are self contradictory. For example, it says a strength is "intrinsically motivated" yet as the same time says a weakness is "need others to hold you accountable." Someone who is intrinsically motivated does not need others to hold them accountable. Same for several of the weaknesses. All in all what that is describing is Peter Pan -- someone who doesn't want to grow up.

Rather than live life with work as a "necessary evil" figure out what you want to do with you life and work will be a lot less painful. I'm not going to say that thing about passion and never working a day in your life, because work is, after, work. But doing something you enjoy is an easier way to pass the day.
Not everybody is going to have something that they enjoy doing 40+ hours per week that pays the bills. Also, the premise of the link is that even if you do love doing something, being forced to do it on somebody else's terms can ruin that love.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:05 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You don't walk into a GS12. You start at GS5-7. Perhaps 9 with an advanced degree. Then after years and several promotions, you finally make GS12.
Exactly. I dont think the OP has thought this through.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Exactly. I'm really surprised the "teach myself a programming language, work 2 hours, retire early" urban legends are still alive.
Yeah. One of the guys I mountain bike with is a web developer and although he makes upwards of $80k/yr (just guessing based on our conversations and his lifestyle being similar to mine) he has said that he typically works 55-60 hrs/wk whereas I work 40hrs including a half day on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment