Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,865 times

Advertisements

http://clarityonfire.com/wp-content/...ty-on-Fire.pdf

It fits me to a T, but not sure what to do next now that I have my Humanities bachelor's degree and know that I want to get out of retail pharmacy ASAP. After being a certified pharmacy tech 5 years and working at a few dozen retail stores in 3 different retail chains, I can say going into work is something I've learned to dread and I really hate the work, depsite having alright bosses at this store (I'll be honest, one is a great boss, the others are kind of middle of the road as far as bosses go). There are so many things I dislike about different jobs, that I have accepted work is just going to have to be a necessary evil I will have to tolerate to live the lifestyle I want to live (upper-middle class, except renting a cheap place so I am putting money away as a cushion instead of spending it all), but my mother is pushing for me to get a masters of social work.

The only other thing I can think of is to learn programming and putting on my resume "self-taught programmer" and doing something like that. I don't feel like going off and spilling money on a degree when I could just teach myself a skill to make more money.

I dislike standing on my feet all day, being scolded for overlooking details (I have innattentive ADHD, without the hyperactivity), and dealing with unpleasant customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
I'd say they are merely trying to sell you something. Even the various traits are self contradictory. For example, it says a strength is "intrinsically motivated" yet as the same time says a weakness is "need others to hold you accountable." Someone who is intrinsically motivated does not need others to hold them accountable. Same for several of the weaknesses. All in all what that is describing is Peter Pan -- someone who doesn't want to grow up.

Rather than live life with work as a "necessary evil" figure out what you want to do with you life and work will be a lot less painful. I'm not going to say that thing about passion and never working a day in your life, because work is, after, work. But doing something you enjoy is an easier way to pass the day.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is to learn programming and putting on my resume "self-taught programmer" and doing something like that. I don't feel like going off and spilling money on a degree when I could just teach myself a skill to make more money.
How about, "inventive gamer" along with some of your high scores?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
How about, "inventive gamer" along with some of your high scores?
There are plenty of people in computer science with unrelated degrees.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:53 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
There are plenty of people in computer science with unrelated degrees.
One of the best mechanical engineers I worked with had his degree in marine biology. The part of his education he used was in how to think and reason. Right now there is no curriculum for the field with the best jobs ten years from now. No one is teaching the preferred computer languages of the next decade. These things will be invented as we go along, by the people working in the field.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'd say they are merely trying to sell you something. Even the various traits are self contradictory. For example, it says a strength is "intrinsically motivated" yet as the same time says a weakness is "need others to hold you accountable." Someone who is intrinsically motivated does not need others to hold them accountable. Same for several of the weaknesses. All in all what that is describing is Peter Pan -- someone who doesn't want to grow up.

Rather than live life with work as a "necessary evil" figure out what you want to do with you life and work will be a lot less painful. I'm not going to say that thing about passion and never working a day in your life, because work is, after, work. But doing something you enjoy is an easier way to pass the day.
I guess I'll go for licensed clinical social worker like my mom wants me to. It can't be THAT bad, and I hear they make about what engineers make, anyway.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I want money...enough that I can go hide out somewhere and do what I want on my own terms when I feel like it. I'm looking for something I can use to make enough money to retire when I'm middle aged or that provides a pension...THEN I might do one of those things I feel like doing.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 PM

674 posts, read 607,908 times
OP - 2 problems with your plan:

1. Unless you do something you like, you won't be good at it. If you're not good at it, you won't make decent money.

2. Have you seriously computed what it takes "to retire at middle age"? You're talking millions, esp with the current ever-shifting health insurance landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I guess I'll go for licensed clinical social worker like my mom wants me to. It can't be THAT bad, and I hear they make about what engineers make, anyway.
"I hear...": terribly unwise words for choosing a career. Do yourself a favor and research the salaries of LCSWs before you pull the trigger. I was an engineer in a previous career and I can assure you that I made more than a LCSW.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - 2 problems with your plan:

1. Unless you do something you like, you won't be good at it. If you're not good at it, you won't make decent money.

2. Have you seriously computed what it takes "to retire at middle age"? You're talking millions, esp with the current ever-shifting health insurance landscape.

"I hear...": terribly unwise words for choosing a career. Do yourself a favor and research the salaries of LCSWs before you pull the trigger. I was an engineer in a previous career and I can assure you that I made more than a LCSW.
Explicitly federal government social workers make more than engineers. Private sector stinks.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 PM

674 posts, read 607,908 times
Average (non-managerial) federal government social workers make 6-figs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment