Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Being offered $12 an hr IF you have a bachelors degree is just wrong.
You cannot even pay back your school loan much less think about funding a 401k retirement.
If they have school loans, they should plan to find a job that can allow them to pay it off, and make sure they have the skills needed for it before they graduate

what a company offers as pay, has no relation to how someone decides to pay for school

everyone seems to think they need a $50k job because they have student loans... too bad they don't come out of school with skills to fill a $50k job. they must have spent their loan money learning something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
Didnt we have a lengthy discussion about this a few months ago? Not enough employees are applying due to the low unemployment rate.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Didnt we have a lengthy discussion about this a few months ago? Not enough employees are applying due to the low unemployment rate.
That's too much common sense. It's easier to blame employers.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That's too much common sense. It's easier to blame employers.
You act like employers share NONE of the blame. If you offer wages below market value and treat your employees like crap, don't stand back and point the finger at them when nobody will work for you. Like I said it works both ways, blame doesn't solely rest on the employee or employer, both must take responsibility.

But this is America, so holding employers accountable for their actions is seen as a joke. It's always the lazy employees fault, right?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Open a business and see how long you last with your money at stake.

I was a very generous liberal, then I opened a business and got dope slapped by reality.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:58 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
I am a manager of a warehouse, actually 2, for a very big plastics manufacturer. I hire, and fire employees not regularly, but I have to do it. Im not going to start these guys out at 15 bucks an hour, why should I? They havent shown me, yet, that they can do the job required, or have enough common sense to do it. I start each of them out at 10 bucks an hour, I dont care if they have been doing warehouse work for the last 20 years. Show me you can do the job, Ill pay you more. Its that simple! Im not going to hire some 20 something year old, with no experience and/or training who thinks he deserves more and comes in with a chip on his shoulder because he thought he was treated unfairly in his last job. And yes, Ill hire a person from another country, if he has the right paperwork and is here legally! I have 3 right now that will out work most of my other guys put together.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
If you’re not getting enough people applying for the positions you offer, the solution is not to hire illegal workers under the table that’ll work for less than minimum wage. That makes you no different than someone who embezzles money, or evades taxes, you are a criminal, and deserve to be treated as such!

I think it really comes down to the attitude of “nobody owes you anything, you should take what they offer and be thankful you got that!” As long as whoever you’re working for is following the laws, I agree, (hiring legal employees at legal wages) and if they can’t get enough people to fill those positions, it’s time for YOU as a business to change to attract more prospective employees. Whether that be through higher wages, more benefits, etc, but NOT by hiring an illegal workforce or paying them under the table . I understand that companies are treated as if they are “above the law” and are not held to the same standards as normal people.

I don’t understand why people are so quick to blame the worker instead of the company. Company wants to pay you peanuts and work you to death, nobody's applying for the jobs we offer because the American people are too lazy!!!
Companies just use that as an excuse to stuff the payroll with cheaper immigrants.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
If one pays a little above average wages for the position, offers just average benefits, treats the employees well, and offers them an opportunity to grow within the company you will have a multitude to choose from. Those employees who are working for below average wage, zero benefits, and or get treated poorly will flock to you!

Old 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
And who, according to you, might that be?
You don't know? It isn't intuitive to you (and lots of other people I guess)?

The government.

They make the rules.

Corporations are their creation.

Illegals are their creation.

Corruption is their creation (and their failure).

Beyond that.... You can have either individual liberty or authoritarian rule. But not both. In my opinion, a populace that is too childish or lazy to police their government and hold it accountable.... deserves whatever it winds up getting. Because, having been a parent, I understand that some can handle responsibility and some can't. Maybe 80 years of tyrannical rule will be precisely what suits Americans if they can't rule themselves. In a Democracy (which we weren't supposed to be), everybody is responsible for the failures and the success.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Yeah, but hey we have to have something to complain about right? After all, I've rarely seen a company that was your best friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment