Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:12 PM

23,643 posts, read 24,193,042 times

Advertisements

My first job out of college was in a data center, where we worked shifts. Many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
I work in Hospital Facilities. I worked Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve and New Years in the past. My wife works in Telemetry and she was working Christmas from 7:00pm till 7:00am the next day.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:57 PM

21,601 posts, read 8,770,819 times
I'm retired now, but I worked many holidays as a broadcast technician, doing studio camera, video playback, graphic display or mixing audio on TV news programs.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM

7,049 posts, read 4,932,246 times
When I worked for 7-11, I worked every holiday because we were open 24/7. I had a great time. The mood is always festive and the customers are totally crazy.

One year a coworker gave us all gifts and still being new to the country, some of those gifts were spectacularly...ugly. I gave him a gift back (he didn't tell me what he thought of mine ) and I put my large tabletop plastic whatever-it-was gift under the side counter. Later on that evening some guy came in wanting to buy a gift - any gift! - and then he spotted my tabletop monstrosity and offered me $10 for it. OK, I'm bad. I sold it. Now I would have just given it away, but in those days I was (sort of) young, very selfish, and not making much money.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:39 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,951,394 times
Retired now, but I spent every Christmas for 40 years working a patrol car. Even in L.A., Christmas was a mellow day to work. Hardest part was finding some place open to have a hot meal.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,795,850 times
I work in a hospital and I had to work xmas day. But some nice folks came in from a church on xmas eve and gave us some awesome goodies, like cookies, brownies, fudge, mini chocolate chip muffins and candy. They said they felt bad we had to work on xmas, so we gave them a bunch of hugs and thanks!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I have stopped working on Christmas Day, due to my religious observance. I take off Good Friday and Easter Sunday as well, as per my religious observance. If the other religions can have it their way, so can I. Just a protected right people do not use enough.
There isn't some competition between religions and no one religion has an advantage over the other. It's not that deep. Many people aren't religious anyway and most places are already closed on Christmas.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,361,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I have stopped working on Christmas Day, due to my religious observance. I take off Good Friday and Easter Sunday as well, as per my religious observance. If the other religions can have it their way, so can I. Just a protected right people do not use enough.
It's not a right for you to get days off for religious observance. All that is required is reasonable accommodation. Not all employers can reasonably accommodate time off for religious needs and in those cases, they are not required to be law.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,216,477 times
The one thing I did not see mentioned is that many of us volunteered to work on holidays. Some of us have been paid double and triple time because we worked holidays. If you want to get yourself or loved ones great presents or pay off what you borrowed to buy the little luxuries in life; then holiday pay could be your ticket.

I was a Teamster for 30 years and who do you think has to get all of your goods to the stores? I have ended up thousands of miles from home on what many would consider key holidays. I gave up planning to have time off because it never ended up that way. I was also on the road nights and weekends - I preferred nights because there is less traffic.

There is one other point about working on holidays and taking days off after the holidays are over - less traffic to fight on your vacation and better rates on your lodging! Plus you have that holiday pay to help with the bills!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,537,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
When I worked for 7-11, I worked every holiday because we were open 24/7. I had a great time. The mood is always festive and the customers are totally crazy.

One year a coworker gave us all gifts and still being new to the country, some of those gifts were spectacularly...ugly. I gave him a gift back (he didn't tell me what he thought of mine ) and I put my large tabletop plastic whatever-it-was gift under the side counter. Later on that evening some guy came in wanting to buy a gift - any gift! - and then he spotted my tabletop monstrosity and offered me $10 for it. OK, I'm bad. I sold it. Now I would have just given it away, but in those days I was (sort of) young, very selfish, and not making much money.
Haha...that's funny.
I agree customers/patients can be funny and crazy during the holidays. That's what makes it bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment