Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:35 AM

436 posts, read 303,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's not a right for you to get days off for religious observance. All that is required is reasonable accommodation. Not all employers can reasonably accommodate time off for religious needs and in those cases, they are not required to be law.
there is also no such thing as observing CHRISTmas. It isn't taught by Christ or anywhere in the scriptures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:37 AM

436 posts, read 303,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The one thing I did not see mentioned is that many of us volunteered to work on holidays. Some of us have been paid double and triple time because we worked holidays. If you want to get yourself or loved ones great presents or pay off what you borrowed to buy the little luxuries in life; then holiday pay could be your ticket.

I was a Teamster for 30 years and who do you think has to get all of your goods to the stores? I have ended up thousands of miles from home on what many would consider key holidays. I gave up planning to have time off because it never ended up that way. I was also on the road nights and weekends - I preferred nights because there is less traffic.

There is one other point about working on holidays and taking days off after the holidays are over - less traffic to fight on your vacation and better rates on your lodging! Plus you have that holiday pay to help with the bills!
so true!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:56 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,654 times
LOL, no, my company shuts down from before Christmas to after New Year's Day We could actually get in trouble for working!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:51 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I have stopped working on Christmas Day, due to my religious observance. I take off Good Friday and Easter Sunday as well, as per my religious observance. If the other religions can have it their way, so can I. Just a protected right people do not use enough.
I'm Jewish, and work most of the Jewish holidays... I could take them off I planned ahead, but still have to use my PTO (vacation) to do it. Not sure why you think anyone gets an automatic pass?

Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I was off Christmas and the day after. While visiting, my husband and I were shocked at the number of fast food establishments open on Christmas Day. The places were busy, too.

I am old enough to remember when everything was closed on Christmas except for emergency services.
Well, people still have to eat on Christmas! And for those of us who are not only single, but don't even celebrate the holiday, we're grateful to have at least a few options... usually I do the "traditional Jewish XMas" of Chinese food, but this year I just made something at home. Then I realized I was out of cat food, and was VERY happy that CVS was open all night. Of course, I live in a very diverse area, where probably half of the population is non-Christian (Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, etc) anyway.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM

314 posts, read 440,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm an X ray Tech at the hospital and I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas. We were very busy. What about you?

I used to be an x-ray tech in the Army! sometimes I miss it and all my friends from the military with the exception of two are still techs now.

I worked Christmas eve, Christmas day and the whole week. I am the only single senior aerospace engineer in our dept on this program so I volunteered to cover the call (military program).

Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,508,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
I used to be an x-ray tech in the Army! sometimes I miss it and all my friends from the military with the exception of two are still techs now.

I worked Christmas eve, Christmas day and the whole week. I am the only single senior aerospace engineer in our dept on this program so I volunteered to cover the call (military program).
Did The Army teach you x rays positioning and physics or did you learn that on the outside? Now you need to be certified in most US states. Did you have to take a board exam while in The Army?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment