Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
When my resume was reviewed, It said my resume didn't stand out to employers. It had too many words that were used as I was making statements instead of selling the employer on my skills such as Managed , tasks, used , Assisted, I , completed . I didn't have any percentages or related sales goals in my resume . I have never had any job where I had to meet a profit margin or sales goals. It wanted $150 for the cheapest option for a professional to re write my resume .
When I write a resume, I take the job description, and list the skills they want under the jobs where I can demonstrate that I have those skills. When you list your skills, always use verbs - that is, the first word in the description is the verb. Most resume submission sites use keywords to pull the top resumes. Ensure that you repeat the keywords that you want to emphasize at least three times in your resume.

I write a new cover letter and resume for each job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 01:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
There is a lot of free information out there on writing a resume that works. As one person suggested, your public library will have "how to write a resume" books in its reference section. You can use Bing or Google to search for "how to write a resume". If you prefer watching videos, try searching for "how to write a resume" on Youtube.

CareerBuilder has a good amount of information on writing resumes:

https://www.careerbuilder.com/advice...perfect-resume
https://www.careerbuilder.com/advice/topic/resumes

Old 01-01-2018, 01:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Open up a microsoft Word document, choose File --> New from Template --> choose a resume template, and fill it in.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:45 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I have searched and tried different websites that look free , but after you fill out with their templates you cannot download them for free
Why would someone pay to keep a website running to just give stuff away?

There are a lot of templates, examples, etc. out there. There are also a lot of blogs and articles with info, advice, opinions, etc. But if you want someone to do the legwork for you, why would you expect to not pay them for their time, effort, and expertise?

You can Google "how to write a resume" and get started. You'll find a bunch of contradictory things, but that's OK... just read, absorb, figure out what works for you. Google for resumes of people doing or looking for jobs similar to yours and look for what resonates with you. Heck, you can go to a recruiter in your field and ask them for their advice.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
If you want a free resume builder, then just enter Free Resume Builder, then press enter, and you will find numerous ones you can get and use for FREE.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Indeed and Monster have job hunting resources off their main web pages. Poke around there and you'll find lots of resume advice. I think they'll build resumes for you if you list on their site, but I'm not sure whether you can download it.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:29 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times
I just used the Microsoft resume template and did my own. I also did a google search for sample resumes for XXXZ position. This gave me great keywords and phrases to match my experience. All free. You also need to tailor the resume and cover letter for each different position/company you apply for. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment