Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Facing a bit of dilemma. Accepted what I thought was my dream job with tech company 5 months ago. The job has turned out to be an absolute dud. Day to day responsibilities were nothing like what was described during interview process. The hiring manager was demoted a couple of months ago. One other person whom transferred to our team around the same time I joined decided to move back to their old team. Just a very crappy situation. Could share more. All boils down to uninteresting work and a ****ty culture within our specific team.

My company encourages trying new teams and has a 2 month requirement in order to switch teams. We have a very simple process that involves reaching out the team you are interested in joining to speak to the hiring manager. Once interest has been shown, then we officially apply and our current manager is notified.

The problem that I am running into is that I believe my boss is purposely telling other teams not to touch me once I reach out. I have no proof of this other than random events happening that would not happen if there wasn't some type of blocking going on in the background. I am 99% sure my emails are being read. People know people in my organization.

I don't have enough time to fully explain, but I know that with my skillset and qualifications there is no reason why other teams would just go complete ghost on me.

I really want to try to make things work at my current company. Sincerely believe that a change in teams would be exactly what I need. My current team is not a good fit at all. I hate going into work. Feel like I'm completely wasting my time.

Had my heart set on staying with this company at least 2 years, but there is no way that is going to happen on my current team.

There is one more team that I would like to reach out to. However, after dealing with all the trouble, I just don't know if it is even worth the effort.

Any advice you all can provide would be fantastic.

Last edited by usamathman; 01-02-2018 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 12:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
apply as an external candidate then quit and let them hire you?

Old 01-03-2018, 04:14 AM

674 posts, read 608,018 times
If you have in-demand skills, look for another job. Life is too short to put up with that BS. In the tech world, nobody bats an eye at folks who move on after a few months, as long as it does not happen several times in a row.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM

407 posts, read 370,023 times
Can you speak to the hiring managers on the teams you've reached out to and see if they can shed any light on why you haven't been offered an opportunity to move?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Can you speak to the hiring managers on the teams you've reached out to and see if they can shed any light on why you haven't been offered an opportunity to move?
Tried a couple of times. They won't even respond to my emails. Complete silence.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
If you have in-demand skills, look for another job. Life is too short to put up with that BS. In the tech world, nobody bats an eye at folks who move on after a few months, as long as it does not happen several times in a row.
This is good advice. Most likely what I am going to have to do.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
You've only been there 5 months. Maybe you haven't made as good an impression as you believe.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You've only been there 5 months. Maybe you haven't made as good an impression as you believe.
I agree, no one wants to have people move out that fast, it's barely time to learn the job let alone prove your value. Not only your boss, but the others are not going to want someone that jumps ship that quickly. Here you have to be in a position for 6 months before you can transfer. Have you even had a formal performance review yet? I would wait a few more months, or at least until a review, and if it's good, then try again.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all,

Facing a bit of dilemma. Accepted what I thought was my dream job with tech company 5 months ago. The job has turned out to be an absolute dud. Day to day responsibilities were nothing like what was described during interview process. The hiring manager was demoted a couple of months ago. One other person whom transferred to our team around the same time I joined decided to move back to their old team. Just a very crappy situation. Could share more. All boils down to uninteresting work and a ****ty culture within our specific team.

My company encourages trying new teams and has a 2 month requirement in order to switch teams. We have a very simple process that involves reaching out the team you are interested in joining to speak to the hiring manager. Once interest has been shown, then we officially apply and our current manager is notified.

The problem that I am running into is that I believe my boss is purposely telling other teams not to touch me once I reach out. I have no proof of this other than random events happening that would not happen if there wasn't some type of blocking going on in the background. I am 99% sure my emails are being read. People know people in my organization.

I don't have enough time to fully explain, but I know that with my skillset and qualifications there is no reason why other teams would just go complete ghost on me.

I really want to try to make things work at my current company. Sincerely believe that a change in teams would be exactly what I need. My current team is not a good fit at all. I hate going into work. Feel like I'm completely wasting my time.

Had my heart set on staying with this company at least 2 years, but there is no way that is going to happen on my current team.

There is one more team that I would like to reach out to. However, after dealing with all the trouble, I just don't know if it is even worth the effort.

Any advice you all can provide would be fantastic.
Let me give you one of my biggest pet peeves: needy employees. You sound very needy and entitled. You've used "I" 15 times in this single message. It's a turn off. We all want ambitious employees, what we don't want is people who can't stop for one second to think about anyone, or anything else, but themselves. I'd put $100 on a wager right now that you're being ignored because you simply can't shut up.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment