Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:06 AM

314 posts, read 440,126 times

Advertisements

I would like to also say that a college degree isn't necessarily the key for some. My older brother apprenticed first as an electrician and then later followed in our dad's footsteps as his apprentice. Now fast forward 30 years and he is a licensed master plumber/pipe fitter and a journeyman electrician. He is the superintendent of a mechanical company.
He says he loves what he does but wishes he was in a warmer place then Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
Yes. I love my job. But it took YEARS OF HARD WORK to get here. Not everyone has this in them to do lol. I have always had drive it just was suppressed for awhile...

Here is what I did... first I spent years trying to figure out what I liked. I always was interested in the mind and I've spent my whole life helping people so I finally settled on becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner. This posed a problem at first because not only was I not even a nurse yet haha but I was working in a cushy government job with golden handcuffs. lol. Most people stay there for life for the bennies.

So...anyway once I settled on a goal...I worked in my crappy government soul-crushing job by day while I took nursing school pre-reqs by night. Then I continued to work days and went to full-time nursing school by evening/night. After graduation, I continued to work days and did nursing jobs in the evening/weekends to gain experience. During this time period I HAD NO LIFE and my relationship suffered but I gained much-needed nursing experience. Finally, I quit my job 2 years ago (despite cd advice NOT to lol) and did nursing work per diem and full-time nurse practitioner school. Guess what? Now I am a psychiatric nurse practitioner and I LOVE MY JOB! Plus I am making well into 6 figures now (Over double my old salary) whereas I used to make 60k as a supervisor for the state. Go for your dreams. Life is too short not to. That being said this was no easy fix...it was a long-term plan. I mean I have been in school pretty much nonstop since 2006. Not fun or easy. Next stop DNP. lol
That's a great story.

Perhaps you can outline exactly what is better from one job to the other ... if you can remember.

I guess sometimes it take a complete 180 and years of training to make a change. I have tried getting 'quick' tangential degrees and applying to related jobs and so far I mostly in the same place.

I would also you to honestly answer how much your increase in pay factors into you liking the new job. I'd be willing to go the other way (cut salary in half) if it meant wanting to get up certain days to go to work.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:35 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
My dear friend, i've been in your shoes. i've been working in IT as a developer for 20 years and yes, at some point I couldn't take it anymore. Long hours, strict deadlines, the company encouraging us to work very long hours by buying us junk food, sharing the source code with people from 2 continents, daily meetings, testing, testing, testing just to get the product on the market by the agreed date, to make that profit for our investors.

If you want to take the pressure off your shoulders, do what I did and find a job in IT but not in a software company. If you are in the IT department of a company who does other things but not sell software you will be better. It might be a bank, an investment company etc... these are just examples. most companies nowadays have an IT department just for in the house solutions.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 10,295 times
You're basically screwed unless you get a solid plan and certified to do something. I've been in this boat. I was in the entertainment industry my entire youth until around 30, when I left it I found myself totally stranded and every job I've had since then has sucked, some more than others. I've basically given up on having a passion for my work/life at this point. I work full time and basically can't even afford to get an apartment. My life is basically a wrap. Welcome to America.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
My dear friend, i've been in your shoes. i've been working in IT as a developer for 20 years and yes, at some point I couldn't take it anymore. Long hours, strict deadlines, the company encouraging us to work very long hours by buying us junk food, sharing the source code with people from 2 continents, daily meetings, testing, testing, testing just to get the product on the market by the agreed date, to make that profit for our investors.

If you want to take the pressure off your shoulders, do what I did and find a job in IT but not in a software company. If you are in the IT department of a company who does other things but not sell software you will be better. It might be a bank, an investment company etc... these are just examples. most companies nowadays have an IT department just for in the house solutions.
I will say from nearly 2 decades of working that easy jobs beat stressful jobs.

Both have their detractors, and neither are preferable to a job you actually LIKE, but having a job that is less interesting and less stressful beats the opposite. I've had easier jobs before and at the very least, you get out at 5 every day...

If all else fails, that will be the direction I will go as I cannot continue working 50 hours a week just to keep up.

I've said it before, but my last university had an IT department, and their jobs were a joke. OK, maybe not stress free, but compared to private sector, I'm sure a joke.

It's also no surprise the same people have been there for like a decade or longer.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM

521 posts, read 733,934 times
I really like my job as well and feel lucky BUT it was pretty stressful getting here. I realized long ago that NO job sounded all that fun and I never had interest in owning a company since it's 24/7 stress. But of course there are bills to pay and I wanted a stable job with benefits. So, this will sound bad and that's okay, but I decided to pursue a career where I could make the most and work the least. Not really due to laziness but I just prefer being outdoors and hiking or swimming all day. I did do personal training during college which was fun but too unstable. Also, I needed a job that could be done in Kauai (where we were living then) so went into nursing. When there it was nice and I would work in people's homes at night (three 12 hour shifts per week) which was pretty mellow. I could read, write, etc and still have energy to enjoy the days ahead. Most everyone there was nice too. Now, I HATED the hospital environment and getting sh*t from everyone - doctors, patients, families and always having to do weekends, holidays and getting asked to cover shifts all the time. So that was out after putting my time in. When I went into nursing most nurses I knew in the hospital setting hated it but were used to the pay so couldn't leave.

After having kids, I wanted to be home consistently on nights, weekends and holidays so went into case management for an insurance company. I also knew many case managers who worked from home which was the ultimate goal. After a year of working in an office I was able to transition to work from home which is amazing! I don't think I will ever leave my job. I basically work 6:30-3:00 and take an hour lunch midday to hike or swim (we have complex pool and hiking trail a block away). Then kids home when I am done and we usually go to the beach for a couple hours (husband works from home too) to play frisbee and watch the sunset. So the stress paid off for sure. I do think nursing is worth it in that way and now I really enjoy the type of nursing (Work Comp) I do which is a bonus. It's very interesting and different everyday. My boss is great (so are all the boss's) and there are never issues with getting time off although I rarely ask for it since it's easy to schedule any appts around work.

Last edited by scgali; 01-05-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Hey OP,
I went from hating my job (and indeed my entire career) to loving it. It was very stressful and didn't pay well for many years. But eventually, I carved out a unique niche for myself at my company and I'm really good at what I do. I also appreciate the flexibility that my bosses allow me and the fact that I adore my coworkers. The work is still kind of boring, but the stress has become manageable.

It's not the career I would have chosen when I was in my 20s, but it's really working for me now. I'm living the life I always wanted.

Part of what makes a difference too is the fact that I have really cultivated a full life outside of work. I am an avid reader and participate in dog sports. I have two dogs and a cat who provide hours of entertainment and social fun with other pet owners. I have friends through my writing group. I can afford to travel to my hometown to see friends. I can afford most of the things that I want. A large part of the reason I love my job is that it allows me to live a life that I fully enjoy.

Is there any way that you can work your way around to that mindset?
I love this post. We should not aim to find fulfillment via our jobs. Finding fulfillment in life makes your job easier. Because your job is just an enabler to fund your life!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 PM

377 posts, read 670,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's a great story.

Perhaps you can outline exactly what is better from one job to the other ... if you can remember.

I guess sometimes it take a complete 180 and years of training to make a change. I have tried getting 'quick' tangential degrees and applying to related jobs and so far I mostly in the same place.

I would also you to honestly answer how much your increase in pay factors into you liking the new job. I'd be willing to go the other way (cut salary in half) if it meant wanting to get up certain days to go to work.
Sure I will try to get it all down for you. I can honestly say that if I made the same salary as before I would still be an NP though.

State job pros/cons-
State job (I worked for Dept of Public Welfare), excellent benefits, great pension which I could have retired with at age 53. I worked there 15 years and knew the job inside and out so I guess you would say I had mastery over the material (very good for self-esteem). I supervised caseworkers which was sometimes fun, oftentimes stressful, and other times downright aggravating. I served a population who seemed very ungrateful. I would only feel that about 1/20 cases were "deserving" and appreciative about their benefits. The rest seemed very entitled, would yell at my caseworkers and me and just, in general, were the type of people who you do not expect are ever going to improve "their lot in life"...everything is someone else's problem. I was able to do my job and do it well for way fewer hours than I was scheduled to work. This left LOADS of downtime which I used to study, take other classes and work on my plan to leave there forever!!! Also had loads of time to walk during breaks and get fit, LOOOONG lunches, socialize with peers, lots of downtime. Very boring until I figured out what to do with my time though.

NP pros/cons-
I am working in a field that absolutely fascinates me. Every day has been interesting to me even while I was a psych nurse and still in NP school. I made less doing that than I did at the state job and I still loved every day. EVERY DAY! As an NP if I made less than the state job I would still be happier. It is just an awesome bonus that I make double what I did before. Blows my mind honestly. I'd do it for half. Patients are appreciative (non-psychotic ones anyway). I don't have to supervise people but work in a team of people including physicians, nurses, patient care associates, case managers etc. NO DOWN TIME AT ALL but I don't even mind. I am happy to be busy. No-hour 2 hour lunches...I am happy if I get a 10 minute lunch. lol. Still happier! Yes, I like the extra money but I have not even changed my life. I still live in the same house and drive the same car. I didn't change my lifstyle at all. I just upped my retirement and savings rates so I can be self-sufficient sooner. It is scary having so much responsibility but I think it better suits me than being bored and constantly trying to think up ways to occupy my downtime before at the old job.

I really hope someone benefits from this post and decides to follow their own dream despite the long path and the challenges to get here.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love this post. We should not aim to find fulfillment via our jobs. Finding fulfillment in life makes your job easier. Because your job is just an enabler to fund your life!
Exactly!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well, keep in mind, OP didn't say he wanted to find his life's calling.

He just wants a job he does not dread going into every Monday.

If I worked for Home Depot 3 days a week on the floor and made the same $ I do now, then it's doubtful I would dread going into my job the way I do now. But it wouldn't be any more fulfilling. It's really 2 different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment