Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

This points system, is just another system most companies have to control attendance.

there is such a thing as excusable lateness or absence. Always bring in a note, or email your manager with an explanation, stating you would like to be excused. Document it like they document you. there are certain things beyond your control, like a snow storm, natural disaster, stuck train or bus. They should not be penalizing you for real reasons. I am sure if you have an employee coming from a long commute, and there was a problem, they would cut a break. That same break should be cut for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:35 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You raised him well, obviously.

A solid work ethic.
I didn't think that for a few--or more--years. My mother told him about living in England during WWII. My father was fatherless during the Great Depression. Mom worked as an LPN and dad was parts manager at Caterpillar.

My husband's father worked in a shoe factory and worked his way up to management. His mother was a waitress. They both owned a house and had money in the bank.

I realise that things don't work that way any more. It hasn't for decades, but they worked the system as they knew it.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM

334 posts, read 221,545 times
I worked at a place like that for a month last year. You got a point against you if you called in sick, but it was 1.5 points if you called in sick on a Monday or a Friday. You received a 1/2 point against you if you didn't give your boss 7 days of advance notice to take time off EVEN IF YOU HAD ENOUGH PTO!!! I think you received 1/4 of a point if you asked to come in late or leave early. Had I still been there, I too would have been in your situation due to the weather. Even if you leave early, you can still wind up being late! Plus, we had to punch in on our computer, so you can to rush to your desk, login to the ADP system and clock in.

The folks who are making it sound as if this is for the uneducated or "lowly office workers," wrong. I was in a position that required a high degree of skills and they really wanted someone with a bachelor's degree, but I got the job anyway. Had I known how childish they treat their employees, I would not have taken the job.

Oh, yeah, to the original poster, do you also have to take set breaks and punch in and out for them? We had to at the place I was at, but I didn't do it. They changed the policy on that after about two weeks that I was working there.

By the way, I had never ever heard of a points system until I started working at this place. Luckily, my new job doesn't have those archaic policies.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

334 posts, read 221,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
Some of you people posting on here are absurd and I hope I never have the misfortune of ever working for you with your callous disregard for other peoples lives. If you've never had a bad storm shut down your area you're lucky and you have no idea what it's like driving in unsafe conditions when even the local government is telling people to stay home. They do that not only for your safety but also for the safety of emergency workers who have no choice but to go out and save the dumbasses that don't stay off the roads in inclement weather.

I was supposed to go out to a city a few hours from here right when a snow & ice storm was going to kick off just before Christmas. I told the boss I didn't feel safe/comfortable driving one of our crappy vehicles into a storm just to drop off some equipment that was scheduled to be delivered and setup when it could be done any other time when it wasn't a safety hazard. The boss said we're going to err on the side of safety and to stay home. I then offered to drive into the local office - since I could safely get to the office in my personal vehicle - to do whatever might need to be done and he again said 'No. Stay home and be safe.' That's how you should run a business and keep employees, by looking out for them.

You nutjobs saying 'work over safety' are out of your minds. Advocating that people risk their lives for a paycheck no matter what. Good grief some of you need to get over yourselves.

And if your only retort is to say you'd never hire me, thanks! And please give your company names so I'll know to never apply with you regardless since I'd never want to work with, or for you, in any event since you don't care if people might die just because you want them to "be on time" real world conditions be damned. Unbelievable.
This! Times a thousand! Some of the people on this thread absolutely amaze me. I too would like to know their company names so I will never apply there either. I've worked for companies who never ever closed, but they sure did in February 2011 when Chicago was hit with 22 inches of snow. We got to leave early when the snow started and were closed the next day. My next job, we were closed, at times it seemed, when there was even an inkling that we'd have bad weather the next day. But, we had the ability to work from home. More companies should allow this for office personnel.

What I don't think people are understanding is that this points system is completely childish and archaic. I had never heard of this system until I started working at a company that had it last year. I mean, even if you had the time to use, if you did not give them a 7 day notice, you still got a 1/2 point against you. That could add up real quick if you are looking for another job because most companies do not give you a 7 day notice for an interview. Usually, they call you on a Monday or Tuesday and ask if you can come in at the end of that same week or early the next week. To me this stupid points system also prevents people from trying to find a normal job.

To the OP, please make sure to ask when interviewing if they have a system like this at the next job you are offered. I did the same thing when I got an offer and my new job is salaried, so I don't have to punch in and out for every minute that I'm away from my desk. Sheesh. The place I worked at even had you punch in/out for your breaks. Surprised they didn't make us punch in/out for toilet breaks.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Do you expect unlimited absences/lateness being accepted?
Depends on type of employee. Where I work, the boss's favorites (including me) get a pass. If you're not on the favorite list, then unlimited absences/lateness aren't going to go down very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment