Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We survived without cell phones AND without the internet. I didn't see the internet for the first time until college. That always blows away the ones in their early to mid-20s.
I know, right? I started college in 1994, when internet was basically (if you were lucky) Prodigy email and AOL chat rooms... no Wikipedia or Google, and even library databases weren't really on the scene yet. Somehow I still managed to do my assignments, with these magical things called BOOKS and encyclopedias. Wow.

And these parents who think their children will DIE if they can't be reached (or reach their parents) 24/7? First of all, landlines still exist. Second of all, I think it was actually GOOD for us to learn how to problem-solve without grabbing a cell phone and calling mom/dad. I had to figure things out for myself sometimes, and as a result, learned to be independent much earlier than kids now. I swear, if it's not immediately accessible via their cell phone, they just "can't even."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM

As for the OP, I think cell use at work is entirely dependent on the industry and specific company/organization policies. But if this employee was under-performing, then yes, he completely deserved to be fired. And quite frankly, I'm glad to hear when these policies are enforced.

Even in my line of work, which is not "productivity based," you can't effectively perform your duties with a phone in your hand all day. I don't even keep mine NEAR me when I'm on the public desk, and have called out a co-worker or two for doing that. Nothing looks more unprofessional to our patrons than walking in, and seeing the librarian or clerk staring at their phone. Uh uh. Not in MY library! And while I'm not technically a supervisor, I am the "librarian in charge" most of the time - so if I ask a clerk to put away their phone, they should (and usually do) listen. It's against our policy, anyway.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Playing on phones at work while on the clock is stealing.
Not unless your workplace has a "no phones" policy. Some jobs have a ton of down-time, with no tasks to complete during them - like maybe security guard (e.g. at an empty building overnight), toll booth collectors, retail carts, ?? In those cases I can forgive them using a phone, especially if it's okay with their manager. I know the security guard at one shop I frequent is ALWAYS on his, and clearly his bosses don't care. So how would that be stealing? It's not like he has anything better to do, since his job is literally to sit/stand at a door all day.

Can't believe I'm defending cell use @ work now, but as I said, there are always exceptions - and to call it "stealing" is a bit dramatic, lol.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Is today your day off?
Just for future reference, not everyone works M-F 9-5; I have alternate Fridays and Mondays off, for example, and mostly work the evening shifts. So don't always assume somebody is at work if they're posting on a weekday! Also, we have these things called breaks.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Is covert surveillance in an office environment legal?

It's one thing having visible CCTV cameras in a room but quite another having unannounced hidden cameras spying on staff.

What other hidden cameras does this boss have? Ones that can peek up women's skirts or down blouses?

I think the fired guy should get some advise from his lawyer or union
No expectation of privacy at your desk . There is a lot more of this going on than people realize .

Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
How could it be a totally different situation? Cameras could be placed in "strategic" places ostensibly to prevent theft and enhance security. It would be difficult to prove any malfeasance. The company needs its security.
First, let me be clear I don't defend hidden cameras in either circumstance, especially "up-skirt" types. That's just plain creepy.

The hidden cam catching worker on the cell phone is legal because there is no law that make it so.

Up-skirt type photos were an issue a few years back because there was no law addressing it as long as it was taking place in a public area. There may be part of the US where it is still not illegal because they haven't addressed it yet. Many local and state laws have been introduced to make it illegal, as it should be.

A good rule of thumb to remember: Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Just because it's wrong doesn't make it illegal.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife's place of work got so bad that the manager/boss had to enact a "no phones in the office" policy. There's some downtime every day, but people were leaving all the work till the last second possible and Sometimes not getting it done. So now they all get to sit and twiddle thumbs (my wife takes a book).

I expect the next thing to be cracked down on is use of business phones for personal calls.... seems like the problem people have simply switched their platform... would be better if they were fired so people who Wanted to work could have those jobs.
Sounds like reading books while working should be the next thing. Why is one okay but not the other?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Sounds like reading books while working should be the next thing. Why is one okay but not the other?
Honestly, I think it comes down to professionalism (one looking less professional to an outsider) - and if your job involves handling food, there is literally NOTHING more disgusting and germ-laden than a cell phone. If I see restaurant workers using their phones, I will likely not want to eat there.

Being that I'm a librarian, reading books on MY work time is obviously more acceptable... lol. We actually aren't supposed to be "reading for fun" on the job, but if you ever see me reading at the desk, it's almost definitely a book club (part of my job) title or some kind of professional resource. So in my case, that is absolutely better than futzing around on a phone.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
True. Imagine if you have boarded a flight that is scheduled to take off at 10:00 a.m. You see the captain sitting in one of the seats, playing with his cell phone. At 10:30 a.m., half an hour late, he goes into the cockpit and announces on the loudspeaker "Sorry for the delay, everyone. I was busy playing Tetris. We should be able to take off soon."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife's place of work got so bad that the manager/boss had to enact a "no phones in the office" policy. There's some downtime every day, but people were leaving all the work till the last second possible and Sometimes not getting it done. So now they all get to sit and twiddle thumbs (my wife takes a book).

I expect the next thing to be cracked down on is use of business phones for personal calls.... seems like the problem people have simply switched their platform... would be better if they were fired so people who Wanted to work could have those jobs.
Pre internet, I worked at a place that had staffing requirements, and was pretty dead. I did needlework. We kept the place in tip top shape, completely up to date, and waited for people to come in. One day upper management walked in and my boss saw me cross stitching and freaked. Upper management was happy I was being productive.

I saw the hand writing on the wall. We got closed eight months later.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Would you feel better waiting 40 minutes for a waitress, if your waitress is reading a book instead of on the cell phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment