Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 PM

78 posts, read 109,031 times

Advertisements

So at the very least, you could have a job to fall back on? Or maybe you would be proud to keep the business going?

I think I would have been better off in this type of employment instead of out in the world, trying to compete with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Yes, I wish old dad was Hugh Hefner. Now that would have been a family business to be in!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 PM

748 posts, read 821,617 times
It's tough out there, less jobs also equals fewer opportunities for family businesses. There's a fine line between business and burden. Many small businesses draw their owners down with work and worry, few uplift them in wealth and free time to pursue other interests.

So sure, so long as it's an established business with organizational structure, preferably with some hard assets like real estate. Otherwise, better to have a job frankly, or create an entirely new enterprise with better potential.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,122,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
So at the very least, you could have a job to fall back on? Or maybe you would be proud to keep the business going?

I think I would have been better off in this type of employment instead of out in the world, trying to compete with everyone.
My family did have a business. And lots of lands. My grandparents were very wealthy land owners.

Try to take a wild guess what happened when the communists took over.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:00 AM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Not really.

Mostly it meant I rarely saw my dad as he was pretty much always working. I mean, he made an effort to be involved but 60-70 hour weeks... family vacations were always mom and my sister, dad could never take time off work. Jobs aren't that hard to find, just need to be willing to relocate to an area where there are jobs. Restaurants in the Bay Area are pretty much always hiring, pay kind of sucks but if you don't have any discernible skills, hey, it's a job that does pay $12-15/hr which sucks in the Bay Area. Competition is pretty much illegal immigrants as that's the only people they can get at $12-15/hr, so as long as you speak English you've got a huge leg up on half the competition. Other parts of the country aren't like that. I have a friend in rural Oregon who described jobs as basically winning the lottery. Unless someone died and you knew the owners, you were as likely to get one. Aside from logging which isn't doing that well there's just nothing up there.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-11-2015 at 01:08 AM..

Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,931,257 times
Depends. But chances are I would be putting in 80-100 hour weeks and barely make what I would make with just a regular job.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,931,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really.

Mostly it meant I rarely saw my dad as he was pretty much always working. I mean, he made an effort to be involved but 60-70 hour weeks... family vacations were always mom and my sister, dad could never take time off work. Jobs aren't that hard to find, just need to be willing to relocate to an area where there are jobs. Restaurants in the Bay Area are pretty much always hiring, pay kind of sucks but if you don't have any discernible skills, hey, it's a job that does pay $12-15/hr which sucks in the Bay Area. Competition is pretty much illegal immigrants as that's the only people they can get at $12-15/hr, so as long as you speak English you've got a huge leg up on half the competition. Other parts of the country aren't like that. I have a friend in rural Oregon who described jobs as basically winning the lottery. Unless someone died and you knew the owners, you were as likely to get one. Aside from logging which isn't doing that well there's just nothing up there.

If someone has no skills, they're better off living in the cheapest area possible. The best thing about low wage jobs is that you can find them just about anywhere.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
No, not in the least. I prefer to have made it on my own, not depend on my parents as an adult. I would also not have wanted to work with my father, in fact I left home at 19, and would have gone sooner if I had been financially able.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,219,992 times
My grandfather started a very successful family business and then passed away. His sons sucked the equity out and eventually within 10 years of his death, it was out of business.

I never planned on working there, but my cousin did and now he is kind of shiftless.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:41 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,736,389 times
My dad and his brother are now running their family's business. My brother works there. My husband also used to work for them, but we have since moved away. It's definitely nice to have in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment