Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times

Advertisements

I wish that CEOs had to "compete" like the rest of us. Based on their 8 figure salaries, I'd say that there doesn't seem to be much "competition" in the field of CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I wish that CEOs had to "compete" like the rest of us. Based on their 8 figure salaries, I'd say that there doesn't seem to be much "competition" in the field of CEO.
Our new CEO started yesterday, and yes, there is a lot of competition. In this case it took over a year, with several months of recruitment, phone interviews and then personal interviews of the short list by the Board of Directors. The one selected came from 3,000 miles away. Mind, you, ours is only making about $300k.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Senior executive interviews are way more intensive than regular employee interviews. There isn't a broad pool of candidates but there are a lot of non-quantifiable requirements.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our new CEO started yesterday, and yes, there is a lot of competition. In this case it took over a year, with several months of recruitment, phone interviews and then personal interviews of the short list by the Board of Directors. The one selected came from 3,000 miles away. Mind, you, ours is only making about $300k.
To be fair, CEOs typically have a long search process. Why because of all the vetting processes involved in it because they don't just control one single region, but perhaps a global company and have stockholders to please onto of the board. I mean Disney keeps putting off finding their's to replace Bob Iger. At one point Pixar head John Lassiter was a shoe in, now people are speculating that one of the Murdoch children will.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:

Not at all. They make millions/stock options whether they are successful or just complete TRASH who couldn't manage a local Taco Bell.

Most of them have no talent/ability and they are all short-sighted, short term driven to please shareholders with a quick spike in shares by eliminating hundreds of jobs at the risk of long term destruction of the company.

When you make millions whether you succeed or fail, it sounds like a win/win situation to me. At this point ANYONE can be a CEO. We can all run your company in the ground for you and then just cut jobs to please the shareholders for a few months . Doesn't take much talent to do that.

A trained monkey can run a company into the ground

Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM

199 posts, read 165,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Not at all. They make millions/stock options whether they are successful or just complete TRASH who couldn't manage a local Taco Bell.

Most of them have no talent/ability and they are all short-sighted, short term driven to please shareholders with a quick spike in shares by eliminating hundreds of jobs at the risk of long term destruction of the company.

When you make millions whether you succeed or fail, it sounds like a win/win situation to me. At this point ANYONE can be a CEO. We can all run your company in the ground for you and then just cut jobs to please the shareholders for a few months . Doesn't take much talent to do that.

Have you had any personal interactions with CEOs of large corporations? I have, and they are very far from "trash." Most of them are highly competent and deserve their positions. I have also never encountered a successful person really anywhere in life who maintains a pathetically ignorant and bitter attitude. However, I have encountered a number of losers with that kind of attitude.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
In our area, in certain fields, it is NOT an employee's market at all. A really good friend of mine was laid off mid-2017 and only just recently landed a new job. During that time I think she only got called once or twice a month for phone interviews that never went anywhere. She met with at least a dozen recruiters during that time, and a couple of them did get her in-person interviews, but she was always the runner up.

She finally took a job with 30% pay cut in order to get back into the workforce (which, coincidentally, was the pay cut percentage *I* had to take in 2009 when I was laid off and couldn't get work for 11 months).

Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

thats why they have VPs and executive assistants. pick the right VP for each department, usually the most ambitious and the company is good to go.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Reality is: it's not an employee market. So once you grab that reality,you can start to bury yourself in sending out applications and being told time and again...' your just not the right fit'.

Then after months of promoting yourself...you might get a job 50 miles away in which they pay little and expect a lot. Welcome to the world of the upper hand.

Or....start your own enterprise so you can bask in the glory of not buying into the 'fit group'.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Have you had any personal interactions with CEOs of large corporations? I have, and they are very far from "trash." Most of them are highly competent and deserve their positions. I have also never encountered a successful person really anywhere in life who maintains a pathetically ignorant and bitter attitude. However, I have encountered a number of losers with that kind of attitude.
I don’t necessarily need to maintain personal interactions with certain CEOs to know many of them will make one bad decision after another and turn a previously thriving company into the depths of despair due to their horrid decision makings. It’s happened at 2 of the 3 companies I’ve worked at. A “highly competent” person would Not make some of the upper managerial decisions I’ve seen made in the last 10 years. Sure there are some quality CEOs out there but they are becoming few and far between as the workplace is becoming less of a meritocracy and more of a treehouse boys club for men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment