Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 691 times

Advertisements

choice is between simple life or more stress for more money. So what I want out of life is to not be living a rat race. To live a life where I am free to do whatever I want whenever I want. I figure work hard save money, invest, and retire young. Or I can go for the monotonous life and work m-f 8-5. So two professions I am thinking of is Physical Therapy or Nurse practitioner.

I worked in PT felt it was chill and just a low stress life. Pt I worked with seemed disgruntled. For PT I can see myself doing that and just living an average life. I would take a more chill approach to life and do hobbies. Also dpt is 3 years of schooling and can be 100-150k in debt. One said no money in pt, other says too much paperwork with low insurance reimbursements and to do something else, etc... ONe mentioned when the economy tanks patients don't need PT as much.

NP I have shadowed lots of job opportunity, very low debt, high return on investment, lots of different specialities to work in. However with that comes higher stress. From my understanding it looks like salary range can be 80k-200k as a NP. It can be more if you decide to go to autonomy states can open your own practice. PT looks like salary ranges from 60k to 110k. In the end we all just want to be happy and live a fulfilling life. I don't want to be in a rat race and live pay check to paycheck. Forced to work to pay bills etc.. My idea is a lot of jobs suck regardless, work is work. Might as well do a job where you get paid more and in demand so you can invest and retire young

Last edited by Chasemoneyornah; 02-08-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:07 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,662,141 times
don't chase money unless you got mouths to feed.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:14 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
I chose the "more stress for more money" option. I was a highly paid computer programmer analyst. I didn't know that the IT jobs that I had would be so stressful when I started this career. But I chose to stay and ride it out. The money was very good and I wasn't sure what I would do if I left this career.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:56 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Personal choice. Maybe this belongs on the Philosophy forum, LOL. If you can get your expenses down to a low level and live on reduced income, great. You could even come out ahead of the game.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:20 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
My older sister is a PT, she's in her mid 40's and has been doing it for almost 24 years, she graduated college in '94. She only has a BS, back then the MS in PT was just picking up and now, as you know, it's pretty much a doctorate or nothing.

Does she still enjoy it, I guess, I've never heard her complain about her work. Yes, there's a lot of paperwork, that's probably the only negative she says. She makes over $50/hour working with outpatients. Crazy enough, she has been working at the same rehabilitation hospital for the last 24 years. She still laughs when the 70, 80 and 90-year-old male patients try and hit on her, I guess they still have blood following to certain areas of their body!

She's married (husband is also a PT, they met in college) with two kids in high school, and I don't think she has any regrets with the profession she chose.

Can't comment on NP too much, although many more places with shortages of general family care physicians are turning to them and PA's to fill that gap. I do know nurse anesthetists (another master's degree) make some nice money, but of course have a big responsibility. It seems many hospitals out there are turning to NA more and less to anesthesiologists (MD) since they're "cheaper" salary wise.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:46 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
It really depends on you, and your financial analyst apparently.

Can you live without internet access, and the latest iPhone?

Can any future spouse, if that is on your wish list, do the same?

In the end, stress is a killer, and life is too short to spend it being miserable. No matter what you do, life is going to throw some stress and misery your way. Choose the path you think will make you happiest, but please bare in mind, some people prefer physical out door work while their bodies are still strong. They see it as less stressful.

What they don't do is project forward to an age 48+ body, and look at how much they will like physical outdoor work then.

Investing is really all about sheer luck. It's really no different than gambling. You win some, you lose some, and in the end, you hope to at least leave the table with what you put into it.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Compensation is a measure of how much value-add you provide to society. So... do you want to make the world a better place?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:02 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
If you retire early, what will you use for health insurance?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,716,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
If you retire early, what will you use for health insurance?
I retired early but get my health insurance through my wife's work. She is nine years younger than me so she will be in the workforce for awhile yet. Her health insurance is much better than what I had when I was working for a multi-billion dollar corporation. Ha ha.

But in four years I will be 65 and will get my health benefit via Medicare.

So perhaps having a spouse that still works and has access to health insurance is an answer for some.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
In the end, stress is a killer, and life is too short to spend it being miserable. No matter what you do, life is going to throw some stress and misery your way. Choose the path you think will make you happiest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment