Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:48 AM

1,104 posts, read 921,673 times

Advertisements

I don't get this question, it clearly sounds like you already know what you want. Why not simply pursue it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 11:56 AM

51,012 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasemoneyornah View Post
choice is between simple life or more stress for more money. So what I want out of life is to not be living a rat race. To live a life where I am free to do whatever I want whenever I want. I figure work hard save money, invest, and retire young. Or I can go for the monotonous life and work m-f 8-5. So two professions I am thinking of is Physical Therapy or Nurse practitioner.

I worked in PT felt it was chill and just a low stress life. Pt I worked with seemed disgruntled. For PT I can see myself doing that and just living an average life. I would take a more chill approach to life and do hobbies. Also dpt is 3 years of schooling and can be 100-150k in debt. One said no money in pt, other says too much paperwork with low insurance reimbursements and to do something else, etc... ONe mentioned when the economy tanks patients don't need PT as much.

NP I have shadowed lots of job opportunity, very low debt, high return on investment, lots of different specialities to work in. However with that comes higher stress. From my understanding it looks like salary range can be 80k-200k as a NP. It can be more if you decide to go to autonomy states can open your own practice. PT looks like salary ranges from 60k to 110k. In the end we all just want to be happy and live a fulfilling life. I don't want to be in a rat race and live pay check to paycheck. Forced to work to pay bills etc.. My idea is a lot of jobs suck regardless, work is work. Might as well do a job where you get paid more and in demand so you can invest and retire young
I’m an OT and I’d advise waiting. This October Medicare is changing its reimbursement structure (see RCS-1) and many fear it’s going to result in massive therapy layoffs. I’m already looking into what I could do next just in case

Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,944,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Compensation is a measure of how much value-add you provide to society. So... do you want to make the world a better place?
No it isn't. It's more a measure of how well you make the company money. And it's an imperfect measure of that.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,930,180 times
If you think being in the medical field isn't a rat race and pays well, keep researching.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,066,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I retired early but get my health insurance through my wife's work. She is nine years younger than me so she will be in the workforce for awhile yet. Her health insurance is much better than what I had when I was working for a multi-billion dollar corporation. Ha ha.

But in four years I will be 65 and will get my health benefit via Medicare.

So perhaps having a spouse that still works and has access to health insurance is an answer for some.u
Not everybody is going to have a much younger spouse who will have a full time job and who will be willing to continue working when you retire. Glad that works for you, but it’s not a reasonable option for most people.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM

797 posts, read 754,997 times
If your single,no kids. Go after your passion. That's just me. Probably trying to live life through others here.
Stress isn't worth it though just to get paid good. You need to be happy.
Trick is ,making the money work,not working for the money.
Living frugally but smart. Example,cook your own food.
Look for sales on food.
Shop on amazon with a rewards card when buying things. The little things count ,and help a bunch. Trust me.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:30 PM

404 posts, read 621,603 times
Maybe cliche, but if you chase a passion, work hard and stay focused money will follow.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:15 PM

17,642 posts, read 13,434,814 times
OP, how old are you?

If my guess is right, another example of Millennial thinking?

Go out and get a profession and work hard to support yourself and family. There will be plenty of time to chill out" when you are dead

Man, I feel sorry, and sad, for the future if people don't to work hard like my family before me, myself and my children. I am so happy that I am at this end of my life and not starting ofer without a good work ethic.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,053,238 times
Chase the money. You can always do the other stuff later.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,066,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Chase the money. You can always do the other stuff later.
The problem with that line of thinking is that many people die young or become disabled before they are able to retire. Even if you do everything right, you can still get unlucky and die young. I've seen that happen too many times. Retirement is not guaranteed. That is why you need to enjoy your life as much as possible during your working years, rather than waiting until a retirement that may never come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment