Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 04:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Frankly, the same people probably complain about life too. Don't we all? There's casual griping that actually creates camaraderie and a pressure release. Can't think of anyone who doesn't do this. Then there's WHINING about the same topic all day every day to everyone who will listen. Learn to tell them apart. The solution may be entirely different.
Yes, it's true that sometimes, if you don't feel like listening to someone complain, it really could mean that you actually DON'T want to be chummy with them.

My problem with my boss complaining in this way is that... this is not his role in the department. I feel like he is someone who used to like to "shoot the sh**" every day with co-workers who were roughly on his same status level (when he was a middle manager). But now he's in a different role (a department head) and honestly, I don't want to listen to his gripes about his superiors, his gripes about the company, and all his other little gripes about everyone.

I dunno, maybe the problem is me. Maybe everyone else in my department is happy with it and sees bitching and complaining continually, as some sort of bonding experience.

I grew up feeling like it was a bad idea to talk about anyone behind their back because it would only come back to bite you in the end. But some people just go through life doing it all the time. Maybe the problem IS me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
My problem with my boss complaining in this way is that... this is not his role in the department. I feel like he is someone who used to like to "shoot the sh**" every day with co-workers who were roughly on his same status level (when he was a middle manager). But now he's in a different role (a department head) and honestly, I don't want to listen to his gripes about his superiors, his gripes about the company, and all his other little gripes about everyone.

I dunno, maybe the problem is me. Maybe everyone else in my department is happy with it and sees bitching and complaining continually, as some sort of bonding experience.

I grew up feeling like it was a bad idea to talk about anyone behind their back because it would only come back to bite you in the end. But some people just go through life doing it all the time. Maybe the problem IS me...
No, I would also feel uncomfortable listening to a boss complain about peers, company, etc a lot. It could put you in an awkward position. Maybe they are unaware how it could compromise you; a subordinate. Maybe best to find polite ways to shut it down. Excuse yourself after a couple of minutes, comment that you have to get back to something, phone call waiting, a lunch date with someone else. Eventually they'll get the message and find someone else to burden.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
These seem like two contradictory statements. The first implies that people shouldn't expect to be happy at work, the second implies that it is possible to love what you do and where you work.
They were meant to be taken separate. If you get a job you love, you don't work.

The OP was complaining about his job and people, it was showing the people complain when they're not happy.
Recommend, getting work that is your passion. People always complain. even about helping others out.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:21 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
They were meant to be taken separate. If you get a job you love, you don't work.

The OP was complaining about his job and people, it was showing the people complain when they're not happy.
Recommend, getting work that is your passion. People always complain. even about helping others out.
I see, thanks for explaining.

I agree. Complaining occurs across the board not matter where you go. Some have lots of reasons to complain and do, some have lots of reasons to complain and don't, some have little reason to complain and do, and some have little reason to complain and they don't.

Maybe where OP works is pretty bad, but maybe it isn't. At any rate, if OP is happy and doesn't know why everyone complains so much, then maybe he or she should work on tactics to try to block it out. Earbuds work.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I'm getting real tired of people in my office complaining all the time. There's too much work. I'm bored. There's too many instructions. I don't know what to do. It's too hot. It's too cold. My lunch break is too early. But it's too late. My feet hurt. Are we there yet.

That's just when the superiors are around. When they leave they complain about them, the people that hired them. Once the complaints reach a head, they start to get ideas like "this can't go on" and "I can't take this anymore!" over things like lunch breaks or once being put in a position where they were forced to use their initiative (how traumatic).

Since when did having a job become such a chore? Would you rather be out on the street? Why do companies like this laissez-faire, hands-off structure when it causes so much laziness and waste?
I really liked your post.

But your closing line screwed up.

Blaming the company?

Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
that why i work alone

Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I'm getting real tired of people in my office complaining all the time. There's too much work. I'm bored. There's too many instructions. I don't know what to do. It's too hot. It's too cold. My lunch break is too early. But it's too late. My feet hurt. Are we there yet.

That's just when the superiors are around. When they leave they complain about them, the people that hired them. Once the complaints reach a head, they start to get ideas like "this can't go on" and "I can't take this anymore!" over things like lunch breaks or once being put in a position where they were forced to use their initiative (how traumatic).

Since when did having a job become such a chore? Would you rather be out on the street? Why do companies like this laissez-faire, hands-off structure when it causes so much laziness and waste?
I complain because I am miserable and overworked. I feel like Cinderella and I have not received a raise since I started. They are giving me the run around with regards to my vacation request. It has been truly a horrible experience. I would love to curse everyone out and quit but you know.

I hate my job and more importantly I HATE THE PEOPLE. I do not wish them well.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:20 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Most , if not all, work places are like a bucket of crabs. All the crabs are trying to get out of the bucket but all the other crabs are trying to drag them back into the bucket. So in the end nothing changes for the better. Imagine what would happen it all the crabs worked together !!!

If you're cheerful then it spreads to others for a better work place.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
It's a thought. Some companies have better workplace cultures than others, and you notice it in the attitudes of the employees.
Very true! I'm lucky to be in the sort of job most people love, and you rarely hear the general sorts of complaints... if anything, we might complain about something like upper management not approving a budget request, or occasionally whine about certain "problem patrons" bothering us. But overall you hear mostly the opposite, even to the degree where I recently said "I feel badly getting paid to do this!" That's when I was literally paid $40/hr to supervise a teen event, which basically involved eating pizza and playing games with them. ALMOST felt guilty, but not enough to decline pay for the evening.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Not busy enough. Busy offices have little time for this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment