Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I figure I will find suite mates to save money, and just eat the local hawker center food. I think I can squeeze out maybe $8000 savings per month. Attractive for me.

Money isn't everything and should not come before your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
No, not for only 150k

And 150k is a lot to me. I don't know many people who make that much as one person around here.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Lol, there are numerous people who would do it for a fraction of that amount, and not even see their family one time a year. Hell, there are plenty in the military that go on deployments for much less money and not see their family.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB0925 View Post
No way! You would miss out so much with your kids and watching them grow. You can never get that back.

I would rather scale back my lifestyle than miss time with my kids.
The kids change so fast i hate gong to work and missing what they've learned that day!

I can't imagine coming home to a family that doesn't recognize me.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
That would depend on how badly I needed a good job. I'd do what it takes to feed my family and not be on government assistance. Or if it was a temporary transfer, say a year, that would ultimately lead to a much bigger role and paycheck, yes - short-term sacrifice for long-term benefit. I am in no way a fan of Asia but if I was having trouble finding employment that paid a decent salary, I'd certainly take the offer!

Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
OK let me make this a little more challenging -- let's say you have toddler kids and you love them.
you

Well...if you're in the military...you'll do it and not make $150K.

Ex-Pat jobs are getting harder overseas as the competition has increased. You have to look at the whole package. Generally you're getting your housing paid at a minimum. Moreover, some you can bring your family and the company will pay for expat school.

The problem with expats is that they lose both worlds. You're not part of the new world as you're too busy to do anything but your job. Your most likely friends outside of work are other ex-pats, so you get used to having them there and then suddenly they're gone. You lose touch with the old world as it learns to move on without you. You miss moments and the time zone difference is maddening at times.

I spoke with a band that played western songs in an ex-pat bar. They weren't very good, but that was because they'd had 50 people rotate through the band since it's beginning. Still, it was something to do to keep them out of trouble. Others weren't so good and would succumb to various vices. I recall a translator from LA who was a totally cool lady, but she wanted to go out, just because even the cool stuff she'd learned she had nobody to share it with.

Nothing makes you feel isolated like living in a foreign land for a long time, when you know you aren't going to stay there and can overly adopt. Lost in Translation was a nice movie that gave a hint of it. Two people in the same boat that otherwise would have never hung out.

So it's tough. It can be lonely. However, on the other hand, if you have a family that can withstand it. Someone at home that can keep the homefires burning....essentially a Superman or Wonder Woman....and you are the same, you can save a ton of cash. You can have a ton of fun overseas....and chances are your salary is higher than the norm. It's a tough call.

Good luck either way.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
When you consider most of America is making a medium income of maybe 80k together I would say 150k is “not common”. Sure in places like San Fran or NY that’s more of the norm but it’s to be expected in places like the Bay Area

Most people will never see 100k in a year. Especially with gross underemployment and lack of meangingful employment in America now
It depends on the line of work. $100k+ is pretty standard for technology jobs in big metros outside of NYC and San Francisco.

I am in DFW. I was offered $110k plus 10% bonus for the lowest paid position in my team. Our senior software engineers make anywhere from $120-130k. They are in the same salary band but a higher level title.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
@OP... I'm assuming this is 150,000 USD? Not Yen, nor RMB, nor whatever Korea uses (SDK)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
No.

However, I would consider taking a job making considerably less, doing something like building water supply systems in Africa, etc.

But you saying 150K a year, you pretty much imply it's going to be either some sh@t-show job that nobody else wants where death is a possibility or some corporate, managerial overseas contract where you have to push people around.
In some cases, it's not so much the job is awful, but the place is awful. No bars, no nightlife, no social situations, the dating pool is really a "dating puddle", 'no life', very little food options, the decent places are far away (ie. a 1 to 4 hour drive), and/or weather is lousy (ie. really hot, cold, snows all the time, you get high winds).
If the CoL is good, and the job is exciting, that may be yet another tradeoff to consider.

Me, I only see my family 1 to 3 times per year anyways. I'm assuming I'd have to pay for my own airfare, and still use my own PTO, so that would get much more expensive and time consuming than flying domestically though.

Last edited by ackmondual; 02-22-2018 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
PM me now.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
OK let me make this a little more challenging -- let's say you have toddler kids and you love them.

No, not for 150k.
But how long are you talking about. How many months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment