Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,537,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If my local union was spending more time and resources for the "fight for $15" for the rest of the country more than they were fighting to secure $30 for me, I'd be royally pissed.
Are these jobs worth $62k per year? Are we talking Cinderellas, ride attendants, concession stand employees, etc?

Union or not, are such salaries feasible or reasonable for low skill workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 08:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
It's true. Seems like a State going through a Gilded Age. The ultra wealthy being subsidized by the ultra poor.
You live in TX, hate to break it to you but long term CA residents are just fine. Everything is about timing, I came to CA 30 years ago. Would I move here now? Not unless I had a really good paying job, but you're making big assumptions about a state you never lived in or maybe even visited.

This is a ridiculous article. Working retail and amusement park jobs aren't supposed to be career goals. These jobs were never meant to support a family or even a single person who wanted to live on their own.

The age of entitlement, they want big pay for low skills.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
73% of Disneyland workers don't make enough to cover rent, food; Disney calls survey 'inaccurate'

Three-quarters of employees surveyed at Disney's Anaheim resort say they can't afford basic living expenses
again another "bleeding heart" story. remember NO ONE IS FORCED TO WORK FOR (Or to continue to work for) any company or individual that they don't think is being 'fair to them'. Anyone who is minority has been conditioned to use the race card and believes that corporate america (and all of the 1%) is inherently "racist"

Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
WTF does it have to do with Disney? I live in LA and it's super expensive and getting worse. So is OC. Most Starbucks workers can't afford it here, most Whole Foods workers, most Walmart workers, most teachers, most police officers ...insert whatever profession you want. It's becoming an area for wealthy. And yet I see millions of people that do afford to live here by getting roomates, living with family and not frivolously spending
Not frivolously spending?? LOL...

EVERYONE now has the latest Iphone and can afford designer clothing, $200 sneakers, restaurants are jam packed every night of the week (as is any mall any week night as well)..

Having tens of thousands in credit card debt (average is now over $20,000 per person) makes it harder to get ahead when the APR is over 15%

but of course many of those workers you mention will mention (or are conditioned) to believe that "racism" is the sole reason they can't get ahead in life

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,545,912 times
Quote:
73% of Disneyland workers don't make enough to cover rent, food; Disney calls survey 'inaccurate'
<>
Same problem with most ski areas. Workers are forced to live in groups, eat cheap beans and ramen, carpool to work or use public transit from far away low cost communities. Worst is out of season they have to go away for a real job.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Same problem with most ski areas. Workers are forced to live in groups, eat cheap beans and ramen, carpool to work or use public transit from far away low cost communities. Worst is out of season they have to go away for a real job.
That's why Aspen, CO had to build subsidized housing specifically for the workers, who before had to commute from Denver every day (that can be a life or death drive if the road is even open during ski season)

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:

Three-quarters of employees surveyed at Disney's Anaheim resort say they can't afford basic living expenses
Tech workers can barely afford apartments as well. Being well paid gets you roommates unless you locked in a lease 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would never live in California unless i was some tech genius who could pull a massive salary. It is not a place for people who are not rich.
Having a time machine would work too. And a money printing machine.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Not frivolously spending?? LOL...

EVERYONE now has the latest Iphone and can afford designer clothing, $200 sneakers, restaurants are jam packed every night of the week (as is any mall any week night as well)..

Having tens of thousands in credit card debt (average is now over $20,000 per person) makes it harder to get ahead when the APR is over 15%

but of course many of those workers you mention will mention (or are conditioned) to believe that "racism" is the sole reason they can't get ahead in life
I know this is going to be hard to believe, but poor people do not run around with shiny new iphones, wearing $200 sneakers eating out every night. This is a load of BS that has been disproven over and over again, yet “fake news” conservatives love to spew this out as fact.

I’ll tell you another secret - I’m doing pretty well in life and I still encounter racism.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If they didn't have so many illegals in Colorado, the pay would be better.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Tech workers can barely afford apartments as well. Being well paid gets you roommates unless you locked in a lease 5 years ago.

Having a time machine would work too. And a money printing machine.
That might be because Silly Con Valley is 75% cheaply paid foriegn workers living 10 to an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment