Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times

Advertisements

Unless they are bad mouthing you to others, I don't see why you think your reputation is being threatened, especially if they are treating everyone the same. You are an adult, so you are capable of holding your tongue and not making things worse for yourself for the next few months (or whatever). Yes, I am sure it is extremely disappointing and frustrating but, your choices seem to be to walk out the door, keep your head down and your mouth shut, or keeping expressing your displeasure and risk being terminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 08:46 AM

22,031 posts, read 13,054,832 times
"Unless they are bad mouthing you to others, I don't see why you think your reputation is being threatened."

In a number of miscommunications -- because, frankly, they don't communicate very effectively -- I've been told that "no one else has complained" or "everyone else seems to understand," which not very subtly implies that I have a (or am the) problem in the miscommunication. For one thing, no one else is planning to or in a position to retire, so they're probably minding their Ps and Qs and holding their tongues (in fact, I know they are). I really don't want anyone concluding that it's only because of previously more lax management, which is what they believe it's been all these years, that I've survived and even excelled in this position, because that's not true. I've been given a lot of latitude, but that's how I work best. It would be an unfair assessment. But, again, just my ego...

Old 03-02-2018, 08:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,669,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
After nearly thirty years of doing what I believe has been a really respectable job in my career at the same place under the same management, all the people above me either passed away, retired, quit, or were fired (a changing of the guard), and new supervision with new tactics has moved in the year before my own retirement. We've gone from being honored as trusted, responsible adult professionals to being micromanaged like a bunch of unruly children or wage slaves punching a clock in a widget factory, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I find I'm very resentful of being watched and monitored as if I'm not capable of disciplining myself (I am), my suggestions and input are neither sought nor welcome (although the management is new to my job and I'm not), I feel demeaned and disrespected daily, and -- because I am so close to leaving (in fact, I could leave now, but it would be to my financial advantage to stay a bit longer) -- I'm having a hard time keeping my displeasure to myself. It's so disappointing to end on this note!
Like the song says, "Take the money and run".

Wait it out. If they want to treat you this way, act like it. Be there the minimum amount of time necessary. Go through the motions, but don't go above and beyond. Blend into the background, wait for the golden egg to hatch and then drop the mic.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
...no one else is planning to or in a position to leave, so they're probably minding their Ps and Qs and holding their tongues (in fact, I know they are).
That's smart. Follow their example.

Quote:
I've been given a lot of latitude, but that's how I work best.

Not everyone does well when given "a lot of latitude," as evidenced by the ones who were fired.

It would be a shame if the excellent record and respectable reputation you mentioned earlier were threatened because your ego reacted negatively to the new system.

It's natural to want to "shake off the reins," so to speak, when you haven't been made to wear them for a while. But you HAVE to remember what is at stake if you do.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:31 AM

"It would be a shame if the excellent record and respectable reputation you mentioned earlier were threatened because your ego reacted negatively to the new system."

Or because these new, inexperienced managers choose as a strategy to CTA blaming certain others for their own newbie mistakes, which is a pattern I fear I see forming.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-02-2018 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 09:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Or because these new, inexperienced managers choose as a strategy to CTA blaming certain others for their own newbie mistakes, which is a pattern I fear I see forming.
That ^^^ is the attitude that will bring you trouble.

You don't HAVE to respect them, but you don't have to actively disrespect them either. Building resentment within really won't help you.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:50 AM

You give excellent advice. Now I just have to follow it! :P

Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 AM

795 posts, read 1,011,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Like the song says, "Take the money and run".

Wait it out. If they want to treat you this way, act like it. Be there the minimum amount of time necessary. Go through the motions, but don't go above and beyond. Blend into the background, wait for the golden egg to hatch and then drop the mic.
Towards the later years we put up with a lot of BS at our long time company, my former co-worker just kept saying " just keep the checks coming".

Old 03-02-2018, 11:34 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
Quote:
After nearly thirty years of doing what I believe has been a really respectable job in my career at the same place under the same management, all the people above me either passed away, retired, quit, or were fired (a changing of the guard), and new supervision with new tactics has moved in the year before my own retirement. We've gone from being honored as trusted, responsible adult professionals to being micromanaged like a bunch of unruly children or wage slaves punching a clock in a widget factory, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I find I'm very resentful of being watched and monitored as if I'm not capable of disciplining myself (I am), my suggestions and input are neither sought nor welcome (although the management is new to my job and I'm not), I feel demeaned and disrespected daily, and -- because I am so close to leaving (in fact, I could leave now, but it would be to my financial advantage to stay a bit longer) -- I'm having a hard time keeping my displeasure to myself. It's so disappointing to end on this note!

Honestly, I wonder if I would even get a good (part-time retirement) job reference from them now after all these years of success.

Maybe this is just a rant, or maybe someone's also been through this and has some words of advice or at least consolation.
I hear things like this from many people retirement age or close to it. A few teacher friends are really being treated like pooh. They've been moved every year to worse and worse schools and situations. The school is trying to force them out. One won't go until she's ready and she doesn't care if they make her clean toilets....she's not giving them the satisfaction. She just keeps thinking about that pension they'll be sending her....it goes up every year. Big increases at certain mile markers so it's to her advantage to give them the one finger solute and stick it out.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,788,310 times
Stop and think.

1: There is a new management that knows nothing about your abilities and how well you work.

2: The new management is going to be looking for problems, and ways to improve.

3: Of course you are going to be watched and under scrutiny at first. As far as the new management team is concerned, everyone is a new employee, and they will be watching everyone closely to find out what the current employees can and cannot do. This is exactly what a new management team must do, until they know what each employee is doing and/or capable of doing. They have to learn who is a good worker and needs little supervision, Who needs more training. And who should be gotten rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment