Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 11,098 times

Advertisements

So I've been working part-time for this employer, and recently decided to get a 2nd job temporarily to make a little extra money. But I'm wondering, do I need to tell my main employer about it? I know my primary employer does not forbid people from working two jobs because I know several full-time people there that do, just as long as you aren't working for a competitor. This 2nd employer would not be considered a competitor in any way. The only problem I could see my primary employer having is, they sometimes ask me to come in on my days off when they're busy, even though it's usually optional for me to do so (I'm also a student, so they're flexible with my schedule). So they could have an issue with me working elsewhere on my days off, even though employer #2 would work around both my school and primary work schedule, so I'd only be working on days when I know for sure my main employer won't need me. And some of the employees at my main employer are familiar and/or do business with employer #2 in some way, so it's *possible* my primary employer could find out. Whether they'd understand or care that I didn't mention it, I don't know.

With all of that said, am I required to tell them? I have already been through the background check for this 2nd job and have been approved - I've filled out most of the paperwork but have not officially started yet. I should probably have taken this question into deeper consideration before I applied, but I guess I didn't start thinking about it much until now. I just hope I haven't messed things up already by waiting until now to worry over this. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
I don't believe it is required, but it would certainly be more polite, respectful, and takes care of calling on your days off. They may not like it, but it's more fair to your employer. Your time off is YOUR time off.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:23 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,840 times
Required?

No.

What you do in your off time is privileged information.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Required?

No.

This^^

Occasionally jobs will have restrictions on moonlighting, but those are generally FT jobs, and generally for non-compete reasons.

You don’t have to hide your second job either. Several of my employees have second jobs, it isn’t an issue.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 AM

497 posts, read 422,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Required?

No.

This.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,700 times
Most of the time, no, but your company might have a policy requiring it.

I know I have to get any outside jobs approved by my company before working them, but I am in a pretty highly regulated industry and can't do much of anything in my personal life related to money without reporting it

Old 03-11-2018, 03:25 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Easy question: No is the answer.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 12,277 times
No.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:32 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
You are only required if it is a conflict of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment