Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:46 PM

263 posts, read 234,214 times

Advertisements

And I am not talking about those pyramid schemes where they make you attend some meeting, pay initiation fee and make you sell products or get new recruits.

I am talking about legitimate positions at legitimate companies like even big structured Top 500 Fortune companies.

You read job description and interview and from it you figure out it is a good fit for you and accept job offer.
Few months later or so, they assign you subprime job tasks that you did not expect in the role. Even worse 1 year later, they fire a contractor/vendor that used to do a job that has no remotely any connection with your current job responsibilities and make you absorb their function by force with no training, no transition. And a few months later their task roles ends up your main role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 08:02 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
No, no law against that.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Job roles change, the work changes, management changes. It’s all a normal part of working life, and certainly legal. It’s almost always covered by that last line in the job description: “and other duties as assigned.”

Old 03-07-2018, 08:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
There is no law against that in my state.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:55 PM

263 posts, read 234,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Job roles change, the work changes, management changes. It’s all a normal part of working life, and certainly legal. It’s almost always covered by that last line in the job description: “and other duties as assigned.â€
So technically speaking, there is no any recourse if they change your role from IT to toiled cleaning

Job role changes but there are employers out there who abuse it.

I would certainly hope that at least, if you were to quit, some states might side on your favor at least for unemployment compensation while you are searching for new job because if you tried to search before quitting you can't even do that because you are so busy burned doing the job you wanna quit you have no time to even arrange phone screening. I am not kidding

Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
So technically speaking, there is no any recourse if they change your role from IT to toiled cleaning
There are none, other than an employee's most effective recourse-quitting.

Now if you can time your exit to be at the worse possible time for the company, that multiples the effectiveness immensely.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
Quote:
And I am not talking about those pyramid schemes where they make you attend some meeting, pay initiation fee and make you sell products or get new recruits.

I am talking about legitimate positions at legitimate companies like even big structured Top 500 Fortune companies.

You read job description and interview and from it you figure out it is a good fit for you and accept job offer.
Few months later or so, they assign you subprime job tasks that you did not expect in the role. Even worse 1 year later, they fire a contractor/vendor that used to do a job that has no remotely any connection with your current job responsibilities and make you absorb their function by force with no training, no transition. And a few months later their task roles ends up your main role.
Good Post - This type of thing goes on all the time with employees, it may be sold it as additional responsibilities with some vague promise of promotion, it may pay off but there no guarantees and its just on the word of a manager.

If you were a business providing a service and you were contracted to perform a particular service and then other activities started being added to your service contract then surely there would be legal right to new contract in light of the company breaking the contract, or a right to bill for addtional payment.

I am not sure what legal you rights you have, my guess you no legal rights because employee don't really legal rights to negotiate specifics of job duties, or demand additional money for saving the company a lot of money - you can say your performing all these addtional duties therefore you require a payrise but this may backfire.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:

What you expect in a role has no legal standing. You believe the tasks are below you BUT your management doesn't. Contractors are not employees and the contract can be terminated at any time. Those duties can be added to your plate.

Instead of complaining, a smart person would take on the new duties, tell your boss You're happy to take on the additional work, but that you want to be considered for a promotion. Then get the promotion and move to a different internal position.

Your complaining and grumbling won't help you. Be strategic and use this to your advantage.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:32 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What you expect in a role has no legal standing. You believe the tasks are below you BUT your management doesn't. Contractors are not employees and the contract can be terminated at any time. Those duties can be added to your plate.

Instead of complaining, a smart person would take on the new duties, tell your boss You're happy to take on the additional work, but that you want to be considered for a promotion. Then get the promotion and move to a different internal position.

Your complaining and grumbling won't help you. Be strategic and use this to your advantage.
This sounds like a standard answer from corporate employee, the op is basically saying you no power or leverage in the situation, They are saying your only choice is quit your job or take on the extra duties and hope you will get promoted.

There are too many people like, they will basically run around doing anything asked by employers with no significant pay increase.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
This sounds like a standard answer from corporate employee, the op is basically saying you no power or leverage in the situation, They are saying your only choice is quit your job or take on the extra duties and hope you will get promoted.

There are too many people like, they will basically run around doing anything asked by employers with no significant pay increase.
It's March. Most companies run on raise/promotion cycles. Yes, I would do the duties but tell my manager I want a raise or promotion during the next cycle. I would get that and then change jobs, which would result in another raise. In my scenario, the worker ends up with at least two raises, a possible promotion and a new job.

Or take the angry route. It's all a game. Learn to play it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment