Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,537,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam321 View Post
I have never been laughed at; and I have been a nurse since 1999. I started as an LPN and I became an R.N. in 2004. What town/state you are from? I am originally from New York City.
are you a male nurse? males are treated somewhat differently in the profession than women - told to become a doctor instead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Its more to the job than being around death and sickness. I could personally never work an office job. To me that would be extremely depressing , not to mention boring. lol
yes, there are so many different types of nursing jobs other than what one sees on TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:30 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,876,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In my area, RN's fresh out of school start at $18/hr, and there are plenty of them.
$18/hr?

Why would anyone be a nurse when they could drive a bus for $25/hr?

( My sister makes that as a NJ transit bus driver)

School bus drivers make $15/hr.

Most of the states with nursing shortages have low pay

Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,417,150 times
"Who is going to become a Nursing Professor when a Nursing faculty has the same salary as an License Practical Nurse?"

Not sure this is typical of LPN wages Sam.....Is this what an LPN makes in your locale ?

"How much does a Professor - Nursing make? The median annual Professor - Nursing salary is $91,349, as of March 01, 2018, with a range usually between $73,596-$134,078".... data here

Not too bad for no nights/weekends and holidays.....and after 30+ years of being on your feet 8 - 12 hours day, a chair and desk can look pretty inviting.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,573,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
$18/hr?

Why would anyone be a nurse when they could drive a bus for $25/hr?

( My sister makes that as a NJ transit bus driver)

School bus drivers make $15/hr.

Most of the states with nursing shortages have low pay
what tier of nursing and pay are people talkig about when they post about salary?

A Beginner's Guide to Understanding the Levels of Nursing

cna/lpn/adn/bsn/np, they all are "nurses" but it ranges from a certificate, associates degree, bs degree, masters, phd degree

those "lower" paying nursing jobs arent ones with four year degrees

an "rn" can be from a two year degree

Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,142,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Hospitals offer big bonuses, free housing and college tuition to recruit nurses - Mar. 8, 2018

I know people laughed at me for choosing the nursing profession (as a male). But I never had to worry about finding employment. Sure it's stressful, manually intensive, often thankless work - but you have to find your niche in the profession - there are so many different opportunities if basic Med-Surg nursing doesn't suit your needs.
Good to see market forces working, the people that actually doing the work day to day being rewarded. I think this is happening more in fields where people avoid working in them because they perceive it to hard work , corporate office jobs have becoming too saturated and competitive for less reward, less job security, lack of opportunity and in addition to being very boring.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 AM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,702,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Most hospitals are only willing to hire nurses with min 2 years critical care experience only. No 2 years, no job.

What areas of the country are only hiring nurses with "critical care experience"? I just browsed the 2 dozen openings for nurses at my 2 local hospitals here in the northeast, and the only 2 positions requiring critical care experience were for an ICU RN and an RN in the critical care patient transfer program. The openings for Med-Surg, OR, ENT, clinic, and various other programs didn't even mention critical care. They do require either a BSN, or an assocs degree with 2 years experience and working toward a BSN. My personal experience is that only depts requiring critical care skills like the ICU or Trauma sometimes require critical care experience.

Last edited by KCZ; 03-12-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 AM

38 posts, read 26,351 times
The hospital I work for has hired many a new grad in the past, only to see them leave after 6 months to a year to go work at Kaiser, who does not hire new grads, or some other higher paying hospital. No loyalty. This is the main problem. I can see why Kaiser does not hire new grads. They don't have to.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 AM

32,014 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
What areas of the country are only hiring nurses with "critical care experience"? I just browsed the 2 dozen openings for nurses at my 2 local hospitals here in the northeast, and the only 2 positions requiring critical care experience were for an ICU RN and an RN in the critical care patient transfer program. The openings for Med-Surg, OR, ENT, clinic, and various other programs didn't even mention critical care. They do require either a BSN, or an assocs degree and working toward a BSN.

Don't know about "critical care", but most hospitals now routinely prefer nurses with recent clinical experience in related area of patient care. That is if they have openings in OB/GYN or Peds, that is what they are looking for; this and of course the BSN.

Now if you are a seasoned professional nurse looking to say make a move from Med/Surg to L&D, Peds or related areas; some places *might* say "fine" and put you into a training/orientation program. OTOH if there is an abundance of applicants who do have the required experience, then guess who gets first choice?

Nursing is *not* what it was in days of white dresses and caps; professional nurses tend to specialize and often remain in that area of practice. As such it is neither considered safe nor wise (in the best run facilities) to take even a professional nurse with say > twenty years on Med/Surg and put her into Peds to sink or swim. A period of orientation/training will be required; especially if the nurse in question hasn't been on a Peds floor since her/his nursing school days.

On the other side of coin; and this speaks to my previous statements about facilities preferring to hire nurses with recent clinical experience in an area/ and or reluctant to take on new graduates comes down to human nature and money.

It costs money to train/orientate or whatever a new nurse onto this or that unit/floor. Money that hospitals do *not* get reimbursed for unlike say medical residencies. The more naïf a nurse is (as in new graduate or one lacking total recent experience in area), the more training/orientation will be required.

Sadly for hospitals/facilities they have *no* way of forcing a newly hired/trained nurse to remain long enough for a place to "earn back" what they've paid out in training costs. Nurses routinely flaunt employment contracts mandating they remain for "x" amount of time. This and or the day after such a contract expires, they are gone. So now a place that just spent $$$$ to train this new nurse walks out the door with her/his "free" education to work someplace else.

Hospitals are wise to this game, and as such you see them seeking nurses already with required experience. That and or they will hire travelers or bring in nurses from the Philippines (yes that still is going on), who they can control easily via written contracts.

Case in point; North Dakota. A state with a booming economy with a "shortage" of nurses. Wages are good but living costs are high, and also; well it is North Dakota. If you've seen Fargo or know anything about the place it isn't Miami Beach, so unless you like cold to freezing weather for a good part of year.....

New grads and other nurses will flock to ND in order to get that magical "two to three years" experience; then promptly quit and head back to where they came. So facilities are hiring Philippine nurses because there is a "shortage" of American RNs locally.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,594,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabernetkev View Post
The hospital I work for has hired many a new grad in the past, only to see them leave after 6 months to a year to go work at Kaiser, who does not hire new grads, or some other higher paying hospital. No loyalty. This is the main problem.
Loyalty is earned. Treat employees well and they won't want to leave.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:21 AM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,702,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know about "critical care", but most hospitals now routinely prefer nurses with recent clinical experience in related area of patient care. That is if they have openings in OB/GYN or Peds, that is what they are looking for; this and of course the BSN...
Agreed. That's why I questioned the poster who said that most hospitals only hired nurses with critical care experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment